Onto my 4th iPhone 4 in 3 Months, all laced with problems....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stuff99, Nov 15, 2010.

1. stuff99 macrumors 6502

I'm onto my third iPhone 4 and will probably get a 4th one today.

‎1st - Got bricked updating to ver 4.1 exchanged it for another one.
    2nd - Proximity sensor issue where the phone will randomly put people on hold, facetime or hang up on them when talking with it. Exchanged it for another one.
    3rd - The one I got yesterday if you silghtly tap it on the back, the phone won't detect a network or sim card.

I've tapped my coworker's iPhone 4 the same way on the back no issue...

I also didn't have an issue with my previous 3 iPhones 4. I think I'm on a horrendous bad luck streak because I seemed to have encountered every known iPhone 4 problem that users have experienced.

Apple awknowledges all these issues because they've offered to exchange my phone each time. I fear what would happen when my 1 year warranty expires. Keep in mind I received my first iPhone 4 at the end of August. I've been through 3 phones with 3 different problems over the course of 3 months.

I am going back today again. I am sick of going to the Apple store.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I call BS on number 3 because they make sure the phone is activated and working when they exchange it.

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

He didn't say that when he got the phone it wasn't activated or not working. He's saying that when he taps on the back the phone will not detect his sim card.

I'm also on my 3rd iPhone 4 but totally different issues. I received my phone day before actual launch and my phone had a really lose home button. My second iPhone got replaced about 3 weeks ago because I wasn't able to send or receive MMS. The iPhone 4 I have now seems to be working fine(knock on wood)

4. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

Sorry dude, but at least you get the new one on the spot. I had to send mine to my carrier's phone service department to confirm that the problem is real.
    I had one dead pixel by the way. :)
    It's been a week and will probably have to wait until the end of this week to get my paws on it. Crossing my fingers so there won't be any more problems.
    Best of luck to you too.

5. stuff99, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010

stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I like to make up BS problems and post it on the Internet for fun.

The phone works, it's just when you tap it everything resets and says no sim card, then it will detect the card again and signal and everything works again. Just dont shake the phone. That's not how a phone is supposed to operate.

Well they give me refubished phones...so I'm not sure if that is the reason why I keep running into these problems.

My first phone was fine...up until when I tried to update to 4.1 my phone got stuck forever in system recover mode.

6. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

crazy about these stories full of issues....guess im really fortunate to not have ANY problems on my first and only iphone 4.

7. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

Get the manager of the Apple Store and demand a new phone, not a refurb.

8. andrei.barbuta macrumors regular

Refurbished phones? That's not right. You paid for a new product not a refurbished one. It's really the principle of the thing.
    I mean, you go, pay and get a new iPhone, you open it, activate it and see something's wrong; you go complain and they just give you one that's been unsealed. Returned for some reason, repaired even. That's not right!

9. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Just luck of the draw with your problems I think. Although my first iPhone 4 I had, the headphone jack didn't work correctly from the moment I got it. Had to exchange it, thankfully for a new one.

10. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Options are to go back to a 3GS and wait for the next iPhone, or go get an Android or a Windows 7.

11. stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I spent too much on apps and the interface to go to something else. :(

12. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Clearly you should still move to a different phone.

13. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Why is it not right? It's a term of the contract, that you accepted when you bought the iPhone 4, that Apple will replace defective models with "like-new" products. You bought the iP4 on these terms, so whywould you winge when Apple is merely enforcing the terms of the contract?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    From the iPhone 2G to my iPhone 4 now haven't had to exchange any of them knock on wood:)

15. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I've had an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4. I've had to replace each one one time.

The 3GS started losing battery, and would drop like 20 percent instantly. They replaced it no problem.

My iPhone 4, which I got on release day, was replaced yesterday because on occasion when I would receive a phone call, I couldn't hear the other person and they could hear me, or the other way around. The wifi would also suddenly stop working, and wouldn't show any networks available, even though there were networks, and it wouldn't work until I restarted my phone.

Both issues were legitimate for me, and both were fixed by a new phone. The folks at the Apple Store are always super cool and easy to deal with.

16. stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I've just got my 4th iPhone 4.

I've got my fingers crossed there's no problems to it.

17. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Stop tapping it :p lol just kidding, that's kinda odd. I never had to get mine exchanged, so far I have no problems with it, not even the proximity sensor. Got it around the end of august too. Hopefully this will be the last time you get it replaced. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you. Sounds like you have bad luck with iPhones.

18. cas85 macrumors regular

i don't know what to tell you. i'm on my first and it seems to work well.

it seems like with electronics, if your first device is faulty, you're bound to get more faulty ones when you exchange. everytime i read a thread about someone exchanging electronics, the next one usually has a different fault. like an unwritten rule.

19. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Ditto. I'm on my fourth as well.

#1 I made it across the street and realized the home button didn't work.
    #2 lasted two days and then just...died.
    #3 lasted a month or so, then the screen shattered after a tiny fall.
    #4 (apple replaced the shattered one free) is going strong after about month.

20. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

21. stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm surprised they covered reason #4 since its user fault

22. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Many folks have reported the same. In my case, it was in a case. It had no screen protector because when I bought it on day one the GENIUS bar told me NOT to use one and that Apple would not longer sell them nor promote them.
    (and the Genius bar has now acknowledged that that was bad advice and is now carrying screen protectors...)

I dropped it from about knee high. In a case. I think they are starting to see that their glass isn't working out so well. A phone in a case should survive a tiny drop. So they replaced it. And told me it was a one time courtesy. Now it's in an otterbox.

I always smile when the barebackers say they are "careful" and it will "never happen to" them. Even today I was walking and a skateboarder went by me and knocked my otterbox protected phone out of my hand. Imagine that without a good solid case. :)

23. SL4VE macrumors 6502

i tapped my replacement phone today, just because of you... reporting back its fine btw

24. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Most of the time refurbished is better then new.

25. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Go to another Apple store.

I'm all the way in freaggin' Thailand and my phone has 0 issues.