Ooooomg had my first i4 drop..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 28, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

Ya that freaked me out. I was carelessly holding my iphone 4 and swung a door closed and it fell 3 feet to tile. I heard a distinct couple thuds from the cheap tpu case I have on. Thank god I did. No damage woohoo

2. tidybc macrumors 6502

Mee too but i was sleeping a little bit on my car then i wake up i opened the door and i forgot i had my iphone on my leg!!! I was running to get a case

3. spookme macrumors member

not so lucky..

Mine hit the concrete pavement outside my house.....:mad:

Attached Files:

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

And that's why I'm getting an otterbox defender. :eek:

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Which will do nothing if it lands screen first on a rock or something.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I've seen its equivalent, the Ballistic, thrown against a wall and dropped from five feet. Neither side had major cracks. It's likely the cases absorb the shock. Also, they both have screen protectors, which will protect against some of the major scratch issues.

7. iSari macrumors member

iSari

spookme, u broke my heart posting that pic! sorry dude :(

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Yes...I suppose if you shoot it too the Otterbox will not provide adequate protection.

9. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

+1 -- got an Otterbox in the mail. I sort of wish Apple had gone with Gorilla Glass for the back which has been extremely scratch resistant on other devices.

10. farmermac macrumors 6502a

ive dropped mine about 10 times with a bumper on. Im so glad i have that thing, its so slippery

11. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Mine fell about 2 feet off my night stand last night. Had a bumper on and it was fine. But it was scary waking up to my iphone on the floor.

I somehow pushed a pillow over to my nightstand which then pushed my phone off.

Very small fall but still, I was worried when I went to check it out.

:mad:

12. honeycrisp macrumors regular

I thought the glass was the same on the front and back, so it's not?

13. gottafly macrumors regular

Otterbox??? How can you put something that damn ugly on something that darned pretty?

I'd wrap mine in bubble wrap and duck tape before it ever saw an Otterbox.

14. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Is there something different in this thread to the other 1000 "I dropped my iPhone 4 OMG!!1!!1!!!! LOL" threads?

Why do we need so many threads discussing the same thing?!

15. thaddeusbear macrumors member

I'm sure that any smartphone would be damaged if the screen landed on a rock, damaged by .45 ACP, or in the blast zone of an IED. But for everyday use it's hard to beat an Otterbox defender. Had um on all my iphones since gen 1.

Attached Files:

16. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me when I was getting out of my car! I heard this noise and my wife yelled "You dropped your iPhone!"

I stood there in disbelief as I stared at my iPhone4 laying face down on the concrete- I was afraid to pick it up because I just knew it was shattered.

I was very surprised to see that it was not broken and had no marks or scratches at all. I did have a body guardz and Bumper on-thankfully.

17. Joe23 macrumors 6502

Mine slid off the sofa at my girlfriend's house and onto her stone fireplace. I only heard the noise and my heart sank. It must have landed on it in the luckiest position as there is only the tiniest mark on the metal banding that surrounds the phone and a small scuff on the edge of the rear glass.

I'm a bit more careful where I leave it now!

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Last night was 4&5 for me (hint - 5 kittens + a charging iPhone = not a great idea) but still no scratches, cracks, or issues.

19. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

ahhhh

20. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Why is these damn phones almost always land face down? Did a cat design them or something? LOL

21. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

what did you do ?

22. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

And that's why I got a Square Trade warranty! Now if I can keep the phone whole for 30 days...

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

So far, no drops.

I tried going caseless for a day, and decided to put the bumper back on the same day I took it off for the first time.

The phone is too slippery. I was playing Plants vs Zombies with the phone next to me in my bed, and my arm's weight kept making the phone slip towards me.

I am not a fan of cases, but in this case, you may need it. And not just for reception issues. For grip as well as resting it on tables with no paranoia of it brushing against another hard material for it to scratch.

24. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I've had a bumper since the first week I got the iPhone. I sometimes have the phone naked when I'm just around the house, but if I'm going to go out I'll put the bumper back on.

My mom was saying how she wanted to get one too, so I got a free case through Apple's program so that it would arrive sooner than if she were to get the phone some time later and order it.

She just got the phone yesterday and has had it naked, and I'm very worried about her dropping it or just having it loose in her purse, so I lent her my bumper until my other free case arrives (Ships September 1). I just have an invisible Shield full-body on right now so at least it isn't completely naked.

25. Knarl macrumors member

My wife dropped her phone from about five feet onto concrete, face down. She had a Belkin Grip Vue on it with no screen protector, and it came away completely unscathed. Whew!