Ooops! I spilt my tea. Backlight problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bibliogeek, Jul 30, 2010.

1. bibliogeek macrumors newbie

A few days ago I knocked over my tea on my new MacBook Pro. (I bought it less that 2 months ago.) I quickly soaked it up, blew a lot out with compressed air, and turned it upside down to let it dry. When I turned it back on I noticed a few keys were sticking. I did my research and one suggestion said to put a drop of water and/or alcohol on the key and just work with it. I know this may sound stupid, but I felt more comfortable with this than to start trying to remove keys.

I dried it again and everything seems to be in working order. All the keys work, and as far as I can tell the internal is okay (unless the sugar/tea is slowly eating away at it, which just makes me sick to think about).

Anyways, my question: The right side of my keyboard, where my tea was spilt, doesn't light up as bright as the left. Is that because I damaged the light, or the tea stained the keys a different color. Does this mean I'm going to have to remove keys to get it clean anyways? Or should I just count my blessings, ignore it, and never drink near my Mac again?

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You should probably sell it and buy a new one unless you are capable of opening the notebook and cleaning it properly.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Correct

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

It will cost more than what it's worth to get it fixed. Id just live with it, and learn from your mistake. Be grateful that only your backlight got damaged, but if anything else goes wrong with the computer, remember that your warranty is void now so it'll end up being cheaper to sell it and get a new one at that point.

5. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I agee with selling and buying another one if you can afford to. Also buy a refurbished which will save you some money.