Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
scared me... thought I just broke my new mac mini

so I just opened it, powered it on to check to see if it works. then I shut it off and disassembled it to install my sad and ram. Upon doing so, i guess i removed the IR sensor a little too rough and a small pin on the far right came out, so i freaked. long story short, it went back in just fine. talk about a close call :eek:

I swear my sad and ram shipped before the mac mini, but I am still waiting on them to get here, and when I power this beast back on I will let everyone know how blazing fast it is.

has anyone done a carbon copy or resort from time machine from a MBP to a mac mini before? I really don't want to have to update everything, reinstall all my apps, etc etc.

EDIT: ram

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
scared me... thought I just broke my new mac mini

so I just opened it, powered it on to check to see if it works. then I shut it off and disassembled it to install my sad and ram. Upon doing so, i guess i removed the IR sensor a little too rough and a small pin on the far right came out, so i freaked. long story short, it went back in just fine. talk about a close call :eek:

I swear my sad and ram shipped before the mac mini, but I am still waiting on them to get here, and when I power this beast back on I will let everyone know how blazing fast it is.

has anyone done a carbon copy or resort from time machine from a MBP to a mac mini before? I really don't want to have to update everything, reinstall all my apps, etc etc.

I think you mean an SSD.....not a sad (once is a typo, but you typed it twice - or your editor "corrected" it twice for you - since I see "resort" for "restore")

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
you are right. damn safari. anyways, it looks like I did already mess it up and the soder points on the IR connection to the motherboard came off. so now I have no idea what to do and I'm sure apple does not cover something like this. Any ideas on how much a repair like this would cost if they don't cover it.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
you are right. damn safari. anyways, it looks like I did already mess it up and the soder points on the IR connection to the motherboard came off. so now I have no idea what to do and I'm sure apple does not cover something like this. Any ideas on how much a repair like this would cost if they don't cover it.

do you really need IR connection?

I never used mine...

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

I never used mine...

Or if you do need an IR sensor, sell yours on ebay with the note that the IR isn't working (someone would be more than happy to pay 50 bucks less for a current model without IR) and then re-buy your mini. That's much cheaper than paying Apple to fix it and doesn't run the risk of completely hosing your computer entirely by trying to solder it yourself.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus

I never used mine...

I'm guessing you do, because i tried turning it on and it beeped at me. I even reinstalled the stock hdd and still it beeps in censored anger at me.

I was thinking of at least calling apple to see if they offer a decent solution, and if not maybe I could sell it... I have never sold anything online though, so that might be a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
I'm guessing you do, because i tried turning it on and it beeped at me. I even reinstalled the stock hdd and the stock ram and it wouldn't turn on at all.

I meant that I have no use for it, not that I uninstalled it from my computer.

I didn't know it is needed to boot.

I find it hard to believe that the MacMini won't boot with the IR connection unplugged. Couldn't it be something else? Are you sure that it's not some other cable/connection that you forgot to plug or broke?

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
I meant that I have no use for it, not that I uninstalled it from my computer.

I didn't know it is needed to boot.

I find it hard to believe that the MacMini won't boot with the IR connection unplugged. Couldn't it be something else? Are you sure that it's not some other cable/connection that you forgot to plug or broke?

no, it's not.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Umm per this thread it should work just fine with a broken IR Sensor:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1322255/

You sure you got everything put back together? Sure you didn't break something more than just the IR Sensor?

if it is beeping you have a ram issue.

The ir sensor is the ir sensor no more no less.

Either you damaged the ram slots or have bad ram. Did you boot this machine and run it before any mods were done?

If not you will never know if you had a working machine.

I have posted this many times for mac mini diy work.

First step is turn your mini upside down remove the black bottom plate.

Connect the machine to power and connect it to a monitor.

Boot.

make sure the fan spins.

make sure the monitor shows an image.

power off and do the mods.

kelleychambers

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
I'm having a similar issue where I replaced my hard drive, put everything back together (after accidentally breaking the IR sensor on the logic board) and tried to turn in on. Fan works but nothing is else is turning on. No LED power light, nothing. help... This is my workhorse computer and have a tiny business that depends on this Mac. I've already been down for a day. :(

if it is beeping you have a ram issue.

The ir sensor is the ir sensor no more no less.

Either you damaged the ram slots or have bad ram. Did you boot this machine and run it before any mods were done?

If not you will never know if you had a working machine.

I have posted this many times for mac mini diy work.

First step is turn your mini upside down remove the black bottom plate.

Connect the machine to power and connect it to a monitor.

Boot.

make sure the fan spins.

make sure the monitor shows an image.

power off and do the mods.

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
I'm having a similar issue where I replaced my hard drive, put everything back together (after accidentally breaking the IR sensor on the logic board) and tried to turn in on. Fan works but nothing is else is turning on. No LED power light, nothing. help... This is my workhorse computer and have a tiny business that depends on this Mac. I've already been down for a day. :(
Are you saying that your display does nothing? Does the replacement hard drive have an operating system installed? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.