Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

scorpio333

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
I found a 7950 3GB on a shelf here. I think I pulled it because it doesn't have a boot screen when the seller said it would, as well as, non working ports. I recall messaging the seller and not getting any answers. Anyhow, put the card in and boot to El Cap. Do the whole dosdude mojave patcher, boot to it and started the Mojave install. Same result. So I've tried four different cards (two R9 280x, a 5570 and a 7950) and get the same result. The only way I've got Mojave booted is using a HDD I created in my 5,1 and booting into Boot EFI with the 5770, it's very slow and sluggish.

I initiated a return for the R9 280x and the seller came back with a bunch of questions and claims he tested it on his 3,1. He also said there's a bug in the mojave patcher that was never resolved, I'm not aware of that.

I think something isn't right with this machine or something is going over my head. I'm the original owner, the machine was paid for by a previous employer, it's given me years of good service. Maybe it's time to just let this go and keep an eye out for a 4,1 or 5,1 especially with the outrageous GPU prices. Installing OC and BS on my 5,1 took a day or two and has been mostly smooth sailing since. This 3,1 is getting to the point where it just doesn't feel worth it.

scorpio333

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
-------I AM AN IDIOT-------​

The problem was between the screen and keyboard. After a few messages back n forth from the seller I got it working.

Starting installing Mojave as usual using dosdude's patcher. When it rebooted I jumped in with holding down option. Select BOOT EFI. Once back at the Mojave installer, I ran the post install and rebooted. I was pleased to see the Language selection screen. Had three patcher updates, installed those and now I've got a working Mojave. I'm going to wrap the 3,1 in caution tape and take a looooong nap.

This is right up there with the time I drained the tranny on my wife's Subaru instead of the oil.

StormLord

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Anyone knows if I can install Big Sur on an NVME and enable 5GT/s speeds?
On Mojave I use pciutils to enable 5GT/s speed after boot with a launch deamon

StormLord

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
Jacklukem’s Big Sur basesystemfix usb installer fixed audio on my 3,1 using Big Sur. Wifi and USB 2 issues also. On his github
do you use it as patch to an existing Big Sur oclp installation? Or you install the whole patched big sure with it?

freqrider

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2019
Anyone knows if I can install Big Sur on an NVME and enable 5GT/s speeds?
On Mojave I use pciutils to enable 5GT/s speed after boot with a launch deamon
I had to load DirecHW.kext via openCore to get pcitools to work. DirectHw.kext wouldn’t load in Big Sur for me. Just add it to EFI/OC/KEXTS AND add it to the config.plist. Assuming you are using openCore.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Really? Are you simply just obtaining pci tree info or can you actually switch/force the pci slot to operate at pci2 (5GT/s) speeds instead of pci 1 (2.5GT/s) without DirectHW.kext?
All the pciutils commands work including setpci which is used to write to the PCIe registers to switch PCIe link rate.

pciutils has a command to list all the access methods:
Code:
% lspci -A help
Known PCI access methods:

intel-conf1
intel-conf2
dump
darwin

In my version of pciutils, I added an option to test all the access methods:
Code:
% lspci -A detect
Trying method darwin......cannot open AppleACPIPlatformExpert (add boot arg debug=0x144 & run as root)...No.
Trying method intel-conf1......no I/O permission...No.
Trying method intel-conf2......no I/O permission...No.
lspci: Cannot find any working access method.

% nvram boot-args
boot-args    -v keepsyms=1 debug=0x144 -no_compat_check maxmem=63488 nv_spanmodepolicy=1 nvda_drv=1

% sudo lspci -A detect
Trying method darwin......using AppleACPIPlatformExpert...OK
Trying method intel-conf1...DirectHW.kext not loaded.
...no I/O permission...No.
Trying method intel-conf2......no I/O permission...No.

% sudo kextload ~/Library/Application\ Support/ROMTool/DirectHW.kext

% sudo lspci -A detect
Trying method darwin......using AppleACPIPlatformExpert...OK
Trying method intel-conf1......sanity check...outside the Asylum at 0/00/0...OK
Trying method intel-conf2......No.

The darwin method (uses AppleACPIPlatformExpert.kext for macOS versions greater than El Capitan) is better than the intel-conf1 (uses DirectHW.kext) method because it can access PCIe registers at config offsets greater than 0x100.
For example, my MacPro3,1 has 81 PCI or PCIe devices, 75 have extended PCIe registers which cannot be accessed by the intel-conf1 method.
Code:
% sudo setpci -A darwin -s '*:*.*' 100.W | wc -l
% sudo setpci -A intel-conf1 -s '*:*.*' 100.W | wc -l
% sudo setpci -A darwin -s '*:*.*' 100.W | sed '/ffff/d' | wc -l
% sudo setpci -A intel-conf1 -s '*:*.*' 100.W | sed '/ffff/d' | wc -l

DirectHW.kext should be modified to be able to provide the same info that AppleACPIPlatformExpert.kext can for macOS El Capitan and earlier. It should also be modified to work for M1 Macs which don't use AppleACPIPlatformExpert.kext. With the modified kext, we can add a darwin2 access method.

• Wow
Reactions: freqrider

scorpio333

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2008
Ran into another snag. Found my 3,1 sitting at "waiting for remote debugger connection". When I last left it, it was running. I tried multiple reboots and each time booting it stops at that line.

Perhaps related, I just left the dosdude USB flash drive connected. Figured I can't lose it if it's plugged in. Every time the computer woke from sleep I would have a blah blah drive wasn't ejected properly. USB functionality on wake up is a hassle. I have to unplug and plug in my mouse and keyboard to get them back. A USB DAC never has issues, I can tell because it pops through the amp/speakers.

Jonathan50

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2017
Oclp 0.0.22 installed 20D80 and "ota" updated to 20D91 (2.44GB update) with onboard audio working. Big thanks to everyone involved.

oclp22.png

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
onboard audio working.
Saw that they finally cracked this.
One of their devs shared this with me just before the OC 0.6.8 release. They were hard at work on it:
AppleALC.png

Will roll the fix into MyBootMgr's ConfigFactory app

With respect to recent Mac OS, the MP31 falls under what we can call "Generally Supported" as compared to the MP51 which is "Essentially Supported".

"Generally Supported": most things work but needs "Firm Patching" (filesystem writes) for some things.
"Essentially Supported": basically everything works after "Soft Patching" (on the fly changes in the memory space).
Looking back on this, it doesn't actually seem there is anything that can be done OpenCore wise with a cMP5,1 that is not available on an MP31. Especially with legacy audio now fixed without needing "Rigid Patching". So we can say the MP31 is also "Essentially Supported" at this point as well I think.

EDIT: APFS Support can be activated in OpenCore (and RefindPlus) for MP31 but currently, you do need to flash your firmware for NVMe support. So, "Generally Supported" on that count afterall. Only changes to "Essentially Supported" once the firmware is flashed for NVMe support.

Last edited:

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
Saw that they finally cracked this.
One of their devs shared this with me just before the OC 0.6.8 release. They were hard at work on it:
View attachment 1755890
Will roll the fix into MyBootMgr's ConfigFactory app

Looking back on this, it doesn't actually seem there is anything that can be done OpenCore wise with a cMP5,1 that is not available on a cMP3,1. Especially with legacy audio now fixed without needing "Rigid Patching". So we can say cMP3,1 is also "Essentially Supported" at this point as well I think.

EDIT: APFS Support can be activated in OpenCore (and RefindPlus) for cMP3,1 but currently, you do need to flash your firmware for NVMe support. So, "Generally Supported" on that count afterall. Only changes to "Essentially Supported" once the firmware is flashed for NVMe support.
This is very good news, Dayo! I look forward to these fixes rolled into the next iteration of ConfigFactory. Would you know if this is to be implemented in OC v0.6.9?

Henninges

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
Helmstedt / Germany
using the AppleALC 1.5.9 combined with OC 0.6.9, latest lilu and weg but still got no sound.
calling alcid=x but neither one of the 1,12 or 15 layouts function.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Is there any benefits to run OC instead of a patched system in Mac pro 3,1?

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
I was all over this for the ease of updates as mentioned. Then last night I wiped a partition on my MBP 7,1 and reformatted it as APFS. I loaded the DD1 version of Mojavè 10.14.6 (18G103) when I was done with all the patches, the Apple Updater came up with 3 updates: Supplemental Update (Safari 14.0.x), Safari 14.0.3 and SecUpdt 2021-002 (18G8022) in one step. In the background it updated Gatekeeper (twice) & MTR.

WOW! I have been struggling with all this on an HFS+ volume. Redid the one partition to APFS and "Magic". The 3,1 is next. Just need to make sure that I can migrate Office 2011 to the new partition on a new drive.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
WOW! I have been struggling with all this on an HFS+ volume. Redid the one partition to APFS and "Magic". The 3,1 is next. Just need to make sure that I can migrate Office 2011 to the new partition on a new drive.
Office 2011 let you move your profile folder anywhere using an alias to the folder.
Current Office doesn't let you do that.

Reactions: wdhpgx

Jonathan50

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2017
OCLP 0.1.1 installed 20D80, updated OTA to 20E232 (5.71GB).
When using either of the old GPUs (8800GT, GT120) onboard audio is present and working.
When using metal supporting GPU (GT710) onboard audio doesn't show.
Kextstat shows AppleALC 1.6.0 loaded. Any ideas?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
OCLP 0.1.1 installed 20D80, updated OTA to 20E232 (5.71GB).
When using either of the old GPUs (8800GT, GT120) onboard audio is present and working.
When using metal supporting GPU (GT710) onboard audio doesn't show.
Kextstat shows AppleALC 1.6.0 loaded. Any ideas?
Do the old GPUs have a HDA device like the new GPUs?

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2019
Do the old GPUs have a HDA device like the new GPUs?
If I recall correctly, NVIDIA didn't introduce onboard audio hardware until the GeForce 200/GT2xx series.

An 8800GT has two DVI ports and a GT120 has a DVI port and a mini displayport. Do any of those ports output audio? Doubtful.
While neither the 8800GT nor the GT120 has onboard audio hardware, both support audio over DVI via a S/PDIF connection (there's a header to connect S/PDIF from another source (e.g. sound card or motherboard), which then gets sent to the DVI port; a DVI->HDMI cable then allows a TV/monitor to get the full A/V stream). Newer cards with onboard audio hardware support this directly (no S/PDIF connection required); at one point, I was using this DVI->HDMI setup (with audio) using a GT710.

Reactions: joevt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.