Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

I downloaded a free .pdf editor, Scribus, from SourceForge.net.

But, a message came up that the Mac won't open it up due to
it being from an unidentified source / developer, etc.

Guess it has to do with a security setting, somewhere.

a. Where do I go, please, and what do I change, to allow the opening of ?

b. And, once that is done, do I need to keep the .dmg file that is now on my desktop from them ?

c. SourceForge "reputable" ?

Thanks,
Bob

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
System Settings/Security and then check to allow apps from trusted developers.
No need to keep the disk image (dmg) file after you've done the installation
Sourceforge is pretty reputable

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
You can also open it by right-clicking (or Ctrl-clicking) the app and selecting Open. This creates an application-specific exception to the security rule. It might be a bit safer than turning off the security check completely.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

mpe

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
sourceforge is NOT a reputable source. They used to be, but that was a decade ago. Nowadays, they are known for repacking archives and bundling malware/adware and they have seen an exodus of software projects hosted on their site.

https://arstechnica.com/information...s-of-fleeing-users-cashed-in-on-malvertising/

The error is displayed for a good reason. I would always think twice before installing unsigned software (unless you absolutely trust the developer and his site and double checked the checksum of the binary).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hello,

I downloaded a free .pdf editor, Scribus, from SourceForge.net.
You think you downloaded Scribus, but you don't know it. All you know is that you downloaded some app created by a developer who not only isn't known to Apple, he isn't known at all. Even if there is a honest-to-god software developer somewhere who created an honest-to-god app named Scribus, you don't know if that is what you downloaded.

And if you downloaded a malware app, anything can happen.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
sourceforge is NOT a reputable source. They used to be, but that was a decade ago. Nowadays, they are known for repacking archives and bundling malware/adware and they have seen an exodus of software projects hosted on their site.

https://arstechnica.com/information...s-of-fleeing-users-cashed-in-on-malvertising/

That was then. In 2016 they were brought buy the BIZX, LLC who immediately terminated the DevShare program that was the source of all this.

https://arstechnica.com/information...ent-sourceforge-moves-to-put-badness-in-past/

mpe

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Sourceforge.net changed owners again and new guys claim they terminated the programme where they deliberately bundled malware to downloads which was their previous business model. That's good for them. But still, my trust in that site is broken, I would not consider it as a reputable source. As a developer would never host anything there and as a customer would never download an unsigned binary from that site again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.