opening mbp - voids applecare??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nodoubts2k, Jan 6, 2008.

1. nodoubts2k macrumors newbie

I spilled some beer on m macbook pro, ad after a quick recover ad 2 day drying period, everything works correctly except a couple keyboard keys. I want to open up the computer, and i have the technical knowledge to do so, and i would open according to the directions on ifixit, and either clean or replace the keyboard. my question is if I open the computer, would it void the warranty? how do apple techs know if a computer has been opened? my thinking is that its better for me to clean off evidence of water damage then send it in..any thoughts??

ive been looking at these links:
    ifixit
    taking apart mbp

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There are markers for liquid damage inside, but, if you're lucky, no liquids got past the keyboard.

If you can open it, clean it, and replace it well enough, and if there's no liquid damage, you'll be fine. But if you show signs of having opened it, and especially if there's liquid residue, they'll not fix it.

3. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

It would all depend on how well you open it and if you cause any damage that is noticeable. However, if Apple does open your laptop and see the smallest bit of water damage, they will void your warranty I believe.

4. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I would think that as long as you are careful about opening the computer and don't damage anything in the process that they won't even know you opened it and your warranty will be in-tact.

5. nodoubts2k thread starter macrumors newbie

so worst case scenario, i would just open it up, very carefully, and first clean the residue, and see if that fixes the keyboard, and if not, i'd at least clean off the residue before sending it in. how likely would apple be to fix a computer that is having keyboard issues and cd drive issues (the drive issues started before the incident)?

6. nodoubts2k thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone have any pictures of the "water detection sticker"? and their locations, wat its supposed to look like (i.e. when not wet)

7. Kelly™ macrumors regular

omg how do you people keep spilling crap on your laptops?
    Beer, water, beer again, soda, wtf!?!

-slams head into desk-
    I have lost all faith in humanity...

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

9. Kelly™ macrumors regular

No, really.
    I mean you have to be some kind of special to do this.

I have had about 7 laptops in my lifetime already and I have never ONCE spilled anything on them.
    No, im not some asshat who protects his computer with plastic sheeting, but I just dont drink crap OVER my laptop or set the drink next to it.

Duh...

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Well..

Congrats. No reason you need to be rude to someone who admittedly screwed up. Why don't you take your holier than thou message somewhere else?

I'm sure there's a club for "anal-retentive people who wouldn't dare spill anything on a laptop that like to admonish those who do" somewhere. If I see one, I'll be sure to sign you up.

11. Kelly™ macrumors regular

12. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

that's mean and unnecessary. we're human so we make mistakes.

13. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I get the feeling that people on this forum would kill me if they saw how I treat my MacBook. I eat and drink over it constantly, the keyboard is assuredly full of crumbs, I get chocolate and stuff all over it. Yet to spill anything though. Sorry, but I don't put my activities on hold whenever I have a snack.

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

Dude, that's gross and just asking for trouble, but to each his own.

15. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Well, I'm pretty careful about how I treat my MBP, but I witnessed a tragic episode of profound slapstick ineptitude over a year ago that caused a glass or water to be spilled on the table behind a laptop. Some water sluiced into the back of the machine via the heating vents, and was tipped backwards for hours to let it dry out.

No reported issues have resulted in the months since, but if there were, I wonder if the moisture indicators would point to "Out-of-luck".

16. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Um, your post is giving me too many ugly and frightening pictures in my head, more about you than the macbook actually. I am sure your post wasn't meant to portray you as a pig ^_^

17. nodoubts2k thread starter macrumors newbie

how about not threadcrapping..sh*t happens..

18. Billz macrumors newbie

The people at apple will definatly notice that there was beer in there unless you clean it out. Otherwise they usually can't tell if you do a good enough job.

Bill

19. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

I concur

Absolutely. I'm picturing the dude who played against the South Park kids in the WoW episode.

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep

Agreed. The benefits of cleaning out the beer outweigh the risks.

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Opening a MacBook Pro doesn't void the warranty. Breaking it while it is open voids the warranty on the things that you break. Spilling beer on it is not good for your warranty either. I think your chances are better if a technician finds it was opened than if he/she finds beer inside.

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just stay away from anything with sugar. Spilling water no a MacBook is often harmless. Spilling coke means that whoever fixes it will hate you intensely, and that is not good for you.

23. i.heart.sun macrumors newbie

i spilt beer too!

hey, i did the same exact thing like two weeks ago. the whole diagonal row from 6 to the space bar didn't work... i took it in to the apple store and told them the keys just stopped working and that my battery died really quickly. they just asked if i spilled anything on it as a routine check and i said no. they kept my mac for a few days to change the keyboard out and they never said anything about liquid damage! i say bring it in and pretend you never spilt beer on it. I got a new keyboard and battery out of it! hope it helps :)

24. calvy macrumors 65816

I use my Macbook Pro in my living room on my coffee table all the time. I haven't yet, but I could totally see a beer or something accidentally making it's way on my computer. I try to move it and keep it out of harms way, but sometimes I forget. I've already got a dent for this reason.

25. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'm not sure where they are located, but they're generally white before and red afterwards. Worst comes to worst you could just replace the sticker, maybe ?