opening your macbook pro's... lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aoaaron, Apr 30, 2011.

1. aoaaron macrumors 6502

hi i got a new MBP and im struggling to open the lid. am i just being too gentle is there some kind of mechanism or technique?

[/stupid question ... sry]

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Is this a joke?
    Put your thumb in the thumbscoop and pull upwards...

3. richard13 macrumors 6502a

No, I don't think he's joking.

In my experience, the magnetic latch on the 2011 MBP is much stronger than previous models. If the computer normally sits on a clean smooth surface like the one on my desk it's hard to open with one hand; the body slides a bit.

I've been putting on hand on the back of the MBP while pulling up in the thumbwell with the other. That should work.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I have no issues opening mine.

5. ViviUO macrumors 6502

I don't even know what to say. Are you afraid of breaking it or something? :confused:

It's a lid not a manhole cover. You aren't going to break it.

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

Mine's tough too, much more so than my 2008 was.

If it's on my desk I need to place one hand behind it so it won't move or slide and then open it.

7. oButto macrumors member

hold the back and then open it. i agree its really hard to open with just one hand.

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

He is just going through over-protective new owner syndrome (ONOS), where people return brand new MBPs over a 1mm hairline scratch 1picometer deep.

Don't worry. After a year or two of ownership and a few scratches, you will be fine.

9. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Holy crap. I have "officially" heard it all now.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

+1. Over the course of 1-2 years your MBP will get scratches, nicks, and if your hands contain as much acid as mine: corrosion...:D

11. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I think the answer is thumb lifts. Remember, do three sets of 12 reps. In a few weeks you may be able to lift the lid.:D

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

ha outstanding.

but yes this year's is definitely harder to open then previous years but its not THAT hard.

13. iMackPro macrumors 6502

yeah i have trouble opening my lid when its sitting on my table during class time because the tables/desks are so slippery. I have to put my thumb in the lid and then my other 4 fingers around the apple logo and i press down on the apple thing and then lift up for some leverage. this magnet is by far much much stronger than the one in my 2008uMB. i don't know if my older uMB magnet just wore out after the years or if this one is just a long stronger like i think it is. because i don't really think magnets just wear out. but yeah.

14. mape2k macrumors regular

oh yes, they do! but...I don't think you will ever experience that in a lifetime of a MBP, unless you keep it in the oven while you are not working with it :D

15. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    :D

When I got my new macbook I carried it around by the corners as not to scuff.

16. hammer222 macrumors newbie

You wouldn't think...

Unfortunately, the lids can break from normal use. Same thing is happening to mine, but not as bad as these pictures yet. Hopefully Apple will take care of it even though it's out of warranty.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/141840-new-unibody-macbook-pro-cracking-hinge.html

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=875050

17. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

If it just feels resistant at first (like a strong magnet), but then pulls up just fine after that you probably don't have to worry about it. If the whole process of opening/closing the lid feels like you're prying the computer open you might want to take it into the Genius Bar to get the hinge checked out. It's hard to tell what's a genuine concern and what's just new owner paranoia without actually having the machine in hand. What may seem like normal operation to one person may seem a bit off to someone else, particularly if they've never handled a similar product before. Good luck!

18. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I generally can't open mine with one hand, either. If it's on my desk or lap and I lift up, I end up lifting up the whole computer. It's not a strength issue or I couldn't lift the whole computer with my thumb to whoever made the snide "thumb lifts" comment, I think the OP was expressing a genuine concern. I hold the bottom case with one hand and lift the lid with the other. I think it's a good thing that it's slightly resistant as it means it has a good closure when it's in a bag or sleeve.

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

I wouldn't say it is hard to open with one hand as I have no trouble - I just cannot open with one hand because every time i try the MBP slides backwards.

20. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I had a friend who tried to open his from behind :p He thought the black plastic at the back was the front lmao.

21. spoccka macrumors member

[​IMG]

This man can just about open his Macbook Pro.

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

better hit the Gym

Attached Files:

23. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yep, I have to agree with Richard on this. I think the magnetic latch is much stronger too. I open it up the same way as well...

IMHO, the magnetic latch being stronger gives me more peace of mind when I travel or am moving it.

-P

24. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I also had trouble when I first opened my MBP, the magnetic seems very strong. I also managed to cut myself on the corner of the dip... bloody sharp! :mad: