OpenOffice.org 3.0 FINAL Aqua released early

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kendall015, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Kendall015 macrumors regular

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Does this completely negate 'Neooffice' and should this be the preferred upgrade path? Currently using Neooffice 2.2.3, which I understood to be a more Mac compatible version of Open Office. But now that open office supports Aqua and OS X better...ditch Neo?

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up.

4. fpbecker macrumors member

IMHO yes. Oo_Org 3 uses a newer code base and is a native app rather than a Java app.

Ok, the UI could use some Mac-ification:

[​IMG]

5. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

6. Kendall015 thread starter macrumors regular

Changing the icons to the Tango set, and making them large makes it a bit better IMHO.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Excellent milestone for the OOo team. Congratulations!

8. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

Still lost, If Oo_Org 3 uses a newer code, then what needs Mac-ification, OO or NO!?

:apple:

9. nplima macrumors 6502a

... as seen on Slashdot:
    Hi, I'm a Mac. I'd rather pay a lot of money for a proprietary closed source piece of software used to make a document, than to download a free piece of software (and hopefully donate a few bucks) that can make an equally good document, because if the software interface I use to make documents does not exactly and precisely match the look of my environment, I am incapable, and even paralyzed, at even the thought of making such documents with such an unfashionable looking interface.

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=992851&cid=25343693
    :D :D :D :D

10. fpbecker macrumors member

The GUI of Oo_Org 3.0.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To explain in more detail, (I hope I'm saying this part correctly) the GUI of OOo used to run under X11 on Macs, as it does in Linux. On Linux, this was fine, since essentially all Linux variants use an XWindows based environment (Gnome, KDE) anyways, and so OOo is running in the default environment in Linux anyways, and has access to all the graphical tools Linux has. On Macs, while X11 is available, the Xserver is not started by default, and Aqua is not an XWindows environment. So OOo was running in a secondary environment, which meant that keyboard shortcuts were not the same, drag and drop had limited functionality, and window behavior was not exactly the same as Aqua windows, etc. It also tangentially meant that the icons and such did not look like typically icons specified by OS X human interface guidelines.

But that was the thing that was finally fixed with OOo 3 -- the fact that it now runs on the same window environment as the rest of your apps on your Mac. That doesn't mean the icons or interface look fully like other Mac apps. It just means it runs in the environment. As an example, there are varying degrees to the extent which ... iTunes, MS Word, Adobe Photoshop, and, say, a Mac native open source app like... Adium... "look Mac-like," even though they have all been available for years in the OS X Aqua environment. That part hasn't changed. People still argue about whether Firefox looks enough like a Mac application, and some people use Camino specifically because they feel Firefox does not look or behave like other Mac apps.

P.S. Are you saying OOo 3 does not use Tango as its icon set by default? I wonder why OOo decided to not use Tango icons to begin with, at a time when Firefox, GIMP, and most other Linux apps do.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry for that newbie question, but where do I change the icon set to the aforementioned Tango set?

Preferences?

I couldn't find anything about that.

Btw, what does Tango set mean? Is it some kind of universal (OS-independent) set of icons with its own language? ;)

PS: Can I make the toolbar more greyish instead of this bloody white? The icons aren't separated enough for me though, maybe Tango can change that.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Tango is a project to standardize the human interface in open source desktop environments (e.g. primarily Linux).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_Desktop_Project

14. Kendall015 thread starter macrumors regular

Go to the OpenOffice.org menu > Preferences

Under the OpenOffice.org Branch, select View (you might have to click the Triangle to show the leaves)

Change Icon Size and Style to:
    Large and Tango

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, what a piece of cake. Thanks.

But the colour of the toolbars (background) can't be changed, can it?

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

OOo 3 failed to properly open a medium-complexity Word document that NeoOffice opens correctly.

And I don't like the fact that the Writer's text highlight (select) color is black.

But seems faster (more responsive) than NeoOffice.

17. acxz macrumors regular

I still don't understand why they went to the huge (and highly commendable) effort of creating a free native office suite for OS X and then not bother creating a few icons and gradients to make the interface more native. It's such a let down for me.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think you don't understand how the OSS community operates. They have lots of people who are relatively interested in things like software development and platform strategy. They don't have a lot of people who do things like graphic design and HI. This has been a chronic problem for them. You're right in that porting OOo to Aqua is a relatively big effort. You're wrong in that creating a visual interface element set for a suite as big as OOo is not trivial. But they have the people who have the skills and talents to do the one and not the other.

If you have these skills, perhaps you should contribute rather than complain? ;)

Or just buy Microsoft Office like the rest of us have.

19. acxz macrumors regular

I understand that creating a full Mac-native experience is not an easy task, but after going to the effort of getting absolutely everything else sorted, it seems silly to stop at the last hurdle and choose not to offer something that would make it a full package.

I don't have the skills, but I don't see how that means I'm not entitled to my opinion. OpenOffice has a huge userbase, all they need to do is ask.

As for Microsoft Office, haha, what a joke. I bought 2007, which is great on my Vista laptop, but the 2008 Mac version is a disgrace. I'm amazed Apple keeps it so highly advertised on its online Store. iWork does everything I need it to, it's only a fraction of the price and, and this is perhaps the biggest argument for choosing it over Office, it actually works! I always thought the reason Microsoft can't manage to update software without causing it to crash or fail validation or whatever was because of the complexity of Windows, but even on something more basic like OS X with a limited range of hardware to develop for, they still manage to cock it up. And they expect me to pay more than I would for iWork for it? They must be mad.

20. gotzero macrumors 68040

I have been using the OOo 3 RC for awhile, and I am enjoying it a great deal.

I am still using Neo-Office also, and plan to keep both around.

I like both of them more than the crippled mac versions of Office.

21. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

So is it still too early to call whether to keep OpenOffice or NeoOffice? I am still using MS Office 2004 while waiting for one of these to work properly. "Properly" is defined as working replacements for Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

While I support open source software, I find that it gets tedious when the developers let their ideology rule rather than technical merits.

22. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

23. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Awesome!

Yay aqua! I'm interested to test the responsiveness compared to the Java.

24. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Does open office aqua read and write microsoft office 2007 file format?