Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Reminder: Opera is wholly owned by Beijing Kunlun Tech Co., Ltd. (Zhou Yahui) (48%) Qifei International Development Co. Limited (Qihoo 360) (27.5%) Keeneyes Future Holdings Inc (Zhou Yahui) (19.5%) Golden Brick Capital Private Equity Fund I L.P. (5%).

If you think your browsing data isn't being reviewed by the Chines government, think again. Two of those firms are 100% owned by the CCP.

Reactions: msp3

darkweather

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
Reminder: Opera is wholly owned by Beijing Kunlun Tech Co., Ltd. (Zhou Yahui) (48%) Qifei International Development Co. Limited (Qihoo 360) (27.5%) Keeneyes Future Holdings Inc (Zhou Yahui) (19.5%) Golden Brick Capital Private Equity Fund I L.P. (5%).

If you think your browsing data isn't being reviewed by the Chines government, think again. Two of those firms are 100% owned by the CCP.
ANd safari and chrome owned by USA. What is the difference?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
[automerge]1593000763[/automerge]

Are you joking? I can't even think about browsing without opera!
In short what I like about opera:
• When you select the text, "search" and "copy" pop-ups without clicking.
• A pop-up automatically converts currencies.
• Double click on the tab to return to the top of the page.
• Having telegram and whatsapp mini apps in the sidebar on the left side.
• automatic dark mode, which changes according to the system setting.
• Workspaces feature that can be accessed from the sidebar, to group newly added tabs.
• built in ad blocker.
• screenshot tool.

You don't need any extensions to get this features. So which browser can do all of this without installing extensions?

Preface: any tool someone uses that does what they want is the right tool for them. Happy you enjoy Opera :)

The only extension I have for safari is an adblocker. I'd prefer a 3rd party adblocker rather than one built by the browser company anyway.

I use keyboard shortcuts for most of the things you've mentioned that I care about. I don't care about currency conversion, telegram, or WhatsApp. Search/Copy I use keyboard for, so not using clicky pop ups. Same with returning to top of page (cmd-<uparrow>). Safari honors the dark mode setting of the OS. I have no idea why I would want another screenshot tool built into a browser when the MacOS screenshot tool is already rather robust and useable with a quick key bind anywhere (in browser or otherwise).

I haven't used Opera since the early 00's, but from what I've read, there's no bookmark syncing between the desktop and mobile versions which would be an absolute deal killer for me anyway. I would like to see a workspaces idea for Safari as I tend to have way too many tabs open at the same time and find myself trying to organize them by window, so that's a cool feature Opera has, but that's not nearly enough to pull me away from Safari.

Bottom line is that I'm quite happy with Safari in both MacOS and iOS and don't see anything compelling about that list of bullet points above especially in light of their lack of bookmark syncing.

Reactions: darkweather

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Me too. I was coming here just to suggest that you try Vivaldi, in which you can use whatever you want in the sidebar.

I've been using it for instance with Twitter, Google News, Google Translator, Hacker News, a dictionary, etc... take a look at this screenshots:

Vivaldi is great too.

Reactions: ricardoPT

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
which browser are u guys using? chorme used tons of RAM. any alternatives?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
This is the reason I ditched Opera when they sold it to CCP (aka China Communist Party). Anything that is CCP owned software or apps are HARD NO for me. Example: Zoom, TikTok, etc.

Zoom? ZOOM?

Since when did Zoom become a Chinese corporation or owned by Chinese citizens or businesses?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.