Opinion about thermal paste in Core Duo MacBookPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by case2001, Dec 1, 2010.

1. case2001 macrumors 6502

Hi all...

I have a CoreDuo MacBook Pro late '06 model. This is my first Mac. I have had it 3 months and am now using it daily. It still has the 100 gig factory hard drive. I have purchased a Seagate 500 gig hard drive and plan to install it shortly. My question is while I have the machine open does the group think I should go ahead an clean and replace the thermal paste?

According to iStat with the machine on AC fully charged and 50% load watching Hulu after 5 minutes the temp levels off at around 80 degrees Celsius. The fans RPM vary from 1500 to 3000. I usually only use the machine for xcode, word, safari, itunes, excel. Rarely atch Youtube or Hulu.

So should I go ahead replace the paste or just go with the hard drive only.

Thanks.....:)

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I wouldn't bother. Even replacing it, the system ain't going to be that much cooler.

The Core Duos ran hot. I'm using a 17" Core Duo MacBook Pro right now and I normally have it running at 4000RPM as the "lowest". With this, I get ~40-50 deg C on idle, 55-60 deg C on mild load. 65-70 deg C on max load.

3. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I thought since the machine had lasted this long I probably did not need to bother with it.

4. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just read your tag line. We have the same setup. Except I have the 15 inch MacBook pro. I love my 3gs. Glad I got the 32gig.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If the fan goes only to 3000rpm, then the Mac isn't hot. When the Mac is hot, the fans will go to 6000rpm.

6. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok...I can't recall the fans ever going above 5000 and then it was a hot room and just for a couple of minutes. The fans cycled down after. I plan to open her up this weekend for the swap. At this point, looks like I will simply change the hard drive.

I just bought a MacBook Air 11.6 inch model, but I really like this older MacBook Pro. There is something about it being a little older. I guess it seems like the MacBook Pro has a little more character.

I really love these Macs...my attachment to them reminds me of the way I feel about my HP Calculators.....

Thanks for the help...

7. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought I'd update this thread.

Installed the 500gig hard drive. Went fine. Didn't touch the CPU. The machine is still doing great!!!

No issue with temperature.

:):)

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Thank you for the update... two years later!

Haha:D

9. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

I take it you didn't have the drive laying around for two years before you decided to upgrade?

10. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not get around to putting it in until about 6 months ago. So, no not laying around for 2 years only 1.5 years.

:eek:

11. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I still use that computer (1.83GHz Core Duo). Bottom gets toasty, but it just won't die. Only repair I've had to do is on the left fan, which was several years ago- I clean them more regularly now and haven't had an issue since.

My SuperDrive died years ago, but that doesn't bother me that much. Damn tank of a computer otherwise.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm still using mine, I upgraded the HD to a SSD last year which gave the performance a welcome boost.

I also had the fans replaced about 5 years ago, it was a common fault on the early models.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, mine has some cosmetic damage, superdrive went out in around 2009, but still chugging along, though I generally just use it as a backup since I got my late 2011 15".

14. case2001 thread starter macrumors 6502

I still use mine often. I did clean the fans while I was in there. My superdrive is working great. Use it to rip CD's all the time. I have had no problems with the machine. She is retired her to home use only at this point. But, I am still amazed at what a great machine it is.

My daily driver now is a 2013 15" rMBP which is blows me away.

I know these boards are filled with people who have issues, however, I am impressed with the quality and durability of these machines.

15. Sirchief macrumors newbie

Core Duo still going......

Just thought I'd chime in since I see it is now 2013 and this thread is still alive....as is my 2006 Core Duo 2.16 Macbook Pro.

I figure if anyone out there is considering buying one of these machines and is afraid because of the age, or heat issues, I'm also here to tell you, don't be afraid and do it!!! I love mine - still looks and works like brand new. Yep, the bottom gets amazingly hot sometimes, and I used to worry about that, but I got over it. Here it is, 6+ years later and not one issue.

I did upgrade my original hard drive to a new SSD about 2 weeks ago, and that was an awesome decision, as my apps basically open instantly - even my iPhoto Library and Lightroom. Very stunning the difference SSD makes. While I had it apart, I blew the fans out just to make sure all was clean.

Anyway, good to see a few others out there still plugging along!