Opinions.... Best tvOS app so far?

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by 2010mini, Feb 22, 2016.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

which app currently available do you think is the best so far?

My vote is Channels. What say you?

2. babaroga73 macrumors regular

Judging by the ammount of my usage , here is the list : Readder, Haystack, Infuse, Dragon Mania Legends, Asphalt 8

3. normanfox macrumors 6502a

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

+1 Channels
    It's brilliant for OTA. Apple should have integrated a OTA digital tuner and done this :(

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Channels will be almost perfect when it includes a DVR function.

Where in the heck is Elgoto's TV app?

6. pirata macrumors member

pirata

By far MrMc is the best tvos app, I have terabytes of movies and tvshows on my pc that i am able to share with my atv4. It has a superior UI to anything else available for this type of app.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Channels by far. Then I would say Hulu and Netflix.

8. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Channels. Most elegant and mature app. Dev's are adding new features. Channels makes the ATV4 a standout in a sea of media streaming boxes.

9. photosmike macrumors member

10. derekshank macrumors member

I agree that the Channels app is great. I don't watch much live TV, but it is really nice to just flip to it and preview what is on to see if anything catches my interest. Previously, I'd either have to change inputs, or look at the TV Guide on my phone. Channels is such a huge improvement over that.

If they add DVR support, so I could record a sporting event to rewatch later... especially if it could record directly to the Apple TV HD (unlikely), it would have the potential to be the killer feature that makes the Apple TV stand out from any other set top box.

As far as the apps I get the most use out of... it would be the built in "Computers" app, followed by Netflix and Hulu.

I don't really care for the UI on Netflix or Hulu, but Siri integration makes that pretty forgivable. I don't find myself browsing around in either of those apps much. I search with Siri and click. It's great, and is among my favorite AppleTV features.

I have a love/hate relationship with the "Computers" built-in app. I use it more than any other app because I have young children who watch the same movies over and over. So I own many of those movies and they are stored on my computer's hard drive, accessible through my iTunes Library. I didn't purchase most of them through iTunes, so they don't show up in the "Movies" app... so, I am forced to use the "Computers" app quite a bit... but I don't like it. It isn't aesthetically pleasing and the sensitivity of the remote makes it a pain. If Apple would add Siri support to link to my computer's iTunes library like it does with Hulu and Netflix, I would love that.

I tried porting my library over to Plex... but ultimately just stuck with the "Computers" app, because I'm hoping that Apple adds Siri integration to the "Computers" app soon... and that seems far more likely than the Plex app getting full Siri integration.

Anyway that is my primary annoyance with the Apple TV to this point. First World problems I guess.

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

They have already released the first beta to integrate with the HDHomeRun DVR (which is also in beta). Still a bit of work left.

12. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

13. derekshank macrumors member

Yeah, I saw that, and it seems pretty cool. But I don't really want to buy another HDHomeRun device, when the one I have works perfectly well.

I'd rather Apple open up access to the hard drive on the Apple TV, but that is probably never going to happen... and not being a developer, I don't know how difficult that would be to do, even if Apple did allow it.

14. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Plex.

I have tried mrmc, infuse, and Kodi, none are as seamless both in UI, and function than plex. At least for my current needs.

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Judging by the amount of responses, it looks like I'm going to have to check out the Channels app.

For me, it would have to be Netflix. HBOGO is a close second though.

16. derekshank macrumors member

Fair warning about the Channels app... if you don't already have an HDHomeRun, you'll have to buy one. So in addition to a $15 app, you're probably spending another $100+ to get the model that meets your needs.

I really like it, so I think it was worth the start-up cost to be able to put away my TV's remote entirely, and use the Apple TV exclusively... but if you use other inputs on your TV for anything, you might not think that is worth it. I got my HDHomeRun from Amazon's Warehouse deals in a damaged box, so it was almost 40% off... but that's still a hefty start-up cost if you're on the fence about it.

17. DebbieFL33, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

For your small children an app of their own might be appropriate, especially if their movies are in Apple player format, i.e., mov, mp4.

We use FileBrowserTV. Set a share for their non itunes videos (ours from NAS, but you can set up share from computer). Each file within has a thumbnail (15 on a page), so file is easily recognizable. Also, you can get them their own remote, the prior model ATV silver remote ($19).

No top shelf thumbnail integration, so we just leave FB on that share. Kids can pick their own files and learn remote (faster than any of us older folk).

There are other apps, but FB is only usd4, has kid friendly images and is easy.

18. derekshank macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make a note of that... but that's still a ways off yet. My oldest isn't yet 3, so he's not quite ready to try to navigate the TV on his own, but I can definitely see the utility in that. Afterall, that's why Netflix has a "Kids" channel.

Anyway, my kids aren't the only reason I find it annoying. I own plenty of movies that aren't for them. It's just that they are the primary reason I use the "Computers" app as often as I do. At his age, we let him watch TV to help him settle down before bed, and he's got about 3 movies he wants to watch over and over. According to my iTunes play count, I've watched the movie "Cars" more than 60 times. :)

Anyway, I would think that Apple would add Siri integration to more and more apps as time goes on... so once that happens, I won't have much to complain about.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I have it as well, but I use more the side loaded kodi

20. normanfox macrumors 6502a

Channel app is so popular here. I had to check it out but discouraged by its old model: ads, repeat, pre-scheduled shows are the main reasons I haven't watched OTA or cable for years now.

21. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Just to clarify. Channels is about Live TV and now about DVR integration. Which allows for skipping commercials. Like you I hate commercials. But I need Live TV for News and Sports. And I have a spouse that likes shows that includes commercials as background while mutitasking.
    I think this meets the needs of the majority and that explains why it is so popular.

22. normanfox macrumors 6502a

yes, I watched and learned about Channel app on youtube today. it is basically OTA programs but streaming over network instead of OTA. I am impressed with the streaming tech and being on ATV4. but the pollute content is where I have no love.

23. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Only had mine two days and I'm yet to find anything that's remotely impressed me :( I saw the Channels app, and was surprised to see it in the UK store, as it doesn't appear to do anything over here (and even more surprised bu the price). Sounds like it just streams free to view channels, which I can get for free on the TV Player app anyway

24. derekshank macrumors member

Yeah, it is what it is. It's not a Hulu competitor, or an "On Demand" app. It's a means of watching Live TV.

The Apple TV doesn't provide a means of watching a live sporting event being broadcast OTA. I don't watch a lot of live TV... but when I want to watch a sporting event, or hell... if I just want to sit and watch an episode of Jeopardy, this app does that without forcing me to switch inputs.

It also looks nice, navigates easily, and tells you what is coming up next... none of which you can get by plugging an antenna directly into your TV... so despite its "old model" it is still a far superior experience to the alternative.

25. chunker macrumors member

Best that I own are:

Infuse
    Squire
    Date Night
    Readdle

Worst:
    Netflix
    YouTube