Opinions on iPhone animations.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iKoopa, May 13, 2011.

1. iKoopa macrumors member

Feb 5, 2011
    The Bronx, New York
    What are your opinions of all of the animations that can be found in the iPhone?
    They can be found everywhere!
    Anywhere from deleting a photo, closing an app, switching through menus, etc.
    Believe it or not, this was one of the main reasons I picked the iPhone over any other phone.
    But I think there should be a little customization on to how the animations are displayed, natively.

Barrel basically had alot of ideas I always thought scrolling through the homescreen should do. "Zoom" being my favorite.

So, do you like the them?
    Do you think they were overdone?
    Do you think there should be a feature to just turn them off?

2. iApples macrumors 65816

Mar 24, 2011
    Personally, I think they're amazing. It makes everything seem real smooth and makes it run flawlessly.

I did get Fakeclockup to increase the speed of the animations though. It makes the phone seem a lot quicker.
  3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    If someone doesn't like stuff like that then they really shouldn't own an iPhone. They're a big part of what makes and iPhone an iPhone.

The problem with asking "should I turn them off?" is that people tend to assume the animations are wasting time. From what I can tell, though, the animations are mostly hiding the time it takes for something to happen. In other words, if you took away the 1 second "sucking" motion of a photo going into the trash you wouldn't be left with faster deletions...rather you'd just be staring at the still photo doing nothing for an extra second.

This not true in 100% of the cases, but I think it's the case a lot of the time.

So given that, I don't mind them at all. I do hope Apple keeps on top of things and trims them shorter in the future when the devices really are faster, but as long as they keep up with that then I have no problem with them.
  4. iKoopa thread starter macrumors member

Feb 5, 2011
    The Bronx, New York
    I'm one of the few users of FakeClockUp that actually has the animations slowed down a bit.
    1/2 is the ideal speed for. Not too slow, not too fast. Still usable on a daily basis. Though sometimes I use 1/3.
    I don't know why it wows me so much, but it's just so pretty. lol.

On 1/10, if you unlock the phone, and slide it to the second page, you can see the apps flying onto the first page. lol
    I never knew they started on the second page, thought they just flew in.

Apple spent alot of time on doing the animations!
    So many things happen by just opening an app.

1. The wallpaper sort of zooms as well. It gets closer to the screen just like the apps. Kinda of like it's pushing them.
    2. The app you opened slowly zooms in from the background.
    3. The icons scatter, darken, become more transparent, and slowly disappear.
    4. The wallpaper darkens, then turns completely black.
    5. The status bar becomes more transparent, darkens, disappears, and then is replaced by a new solid status bar from an app.
    6. The dock icons gets pushed down, but doesn't become transparent like the Springboard icons.
  5. chris975d macrumors 68000

Sep 21, 2008
    Georgia, USA

As far as my knowledge, you're correct in why the animations are there. Basically to "hide" the fact that the requested action actually takes a bit of time to complete, so the animation gives the OS a bit more time to complete that task, yet appear to be smooth.

FakeClockUp is one of the best tweaks in Cydia. It's made my iPad 1 seem faster than the iPad 2 in most tasks. It allows the speeding up of all those UI animations, which can be done MUCH faster than the stock setting on the A4 processor (iPhone 4 and iPad 1) than the original iPhone's processor (which all the animation speeds were designed for, as the stock speed hasn't changed since the first iPhone.
  6. wordoflife macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    The animations are nice when they work. Not sure what happens, but each update kinda slows them down.