Opinions on Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I asked my GF for one for my birthday, but I just wanted to hear some unbiased opinions on it as I have heard plenty of biased ones. Do you have one and do you like it?

2. Durious macrumors 6502

never cared for it I just use a regular non-apple mouse.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Had one and couldn't stand it. Went back to my MX Revolution after 2 weeks of trying.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have one, and I do like it. It's comfortable and works well. If I had any complaint, it would be the plastic surface for scrolling and gestures. But, I think I'm just honestly spoiled by the glass surfaces of my MBP and Magic Trackpad.

You might also consider the Magic Trackpad, especially with the additional gestures supported by 10.7 Lion. It's very well made, accurate, and, as I mentioned above, has a glass surface.

If you're able, I would suggest stopping by an Apple Store and trying them out.

5. kasakka macrumors 68000

Good portable mouse because it's slim, but I'd take a decent wired Logitech over it any day. I have one and used it a lot over a year. Battery life is not great and you pretty much need BetterTouchTool to make the mouse decent. It also doesn't help that the only driver (SteerMouse Magicdriver) that fixes the mouse acceleration issues in OSX was discontinued.

I'd probably go for the trackpad instead because gestures are easier to do on that.

6. eron macrumors 6502

Poor mouse. Bad sensitivity. If want a good traditional mouse, get a Razer.

Else, the Apple magic trackpad is pretty good.

7. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I have one, I like it but use it very rarely. Usually only for more serious photo editing or design work.

Otherwise, I prefer the Magic Trackpad. My MBP of course has that built in already, but I use it on my desktop as well. Using Lion, the trackpad is essential.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Magic Mouse

I love mine....Tried the trackpad, but couldn't get on with it at all. I can gesture just as well with my mouse. It just takes a little practice.

One tip though, the default settings are insanely fast and stuff just fly's around the screen. I reduced mine in settings and tamed it that way.

9. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

]]does the magic mouse offer anything different then what a normal mouse would???

10. yauzers619 macrumors member

If you do any gaming, specifically third person shooters, look elsewhere. I like my logitech five button mouse.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes

The magic mouse gives you the ability to swipe / scroll and gesture without pressing any of the buttons. A standard mouse would not give you these features.

BTW the mm is bluetooth connected.

12. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

It's pretty good for normal usage, but you'll need something like MagicPrefs (I use this one) or BetterTouchTool as mentioned above to customize it.
    The default scrolling/tracking speed is also erratically slow, so you'll need to change that as well, but just personal preference.

If you don't game, it's perfectly fine after you fix the above things.
    Though I just plug in my HP HDX Mouse from my Elite PC when I need to game. Oh, and get a wired mouse for bootcamp. I can't speak for others, but bluetooth mouse support in bootcamp is either 1. takes a long time to work 2. doesn't work at all. :p

Get one. It's fancy. And it looks nice! Oh, and it has an Apple logo on it! Haha.

13. rikscha macrumors 6502a

Due to the really bad bluetooth range of MBPs, you cannot use the MM farther away than half a meter from your mac. I bought it to operate my MBP '10 from my couch when connecting it to my TV. Doesn't work. The mouse gets really sluggish. I would go for the Magic Trackpad, I hardly use my MM because I find the trackpad on my MBP much more comfortable especially in conjunction with Lion.

14. Uplift macrumors 6502

I have one and i love it.. the added gestures won me over and it's very accurate so you can navigate around your mac, particularly on the web, without actually moving your hand much.

Although, i can sympathise with people who think it's uncomfortable, i sometimes use a regular microsoft mouse at work that had a lot more body and your hand does fit around it nicely.. the magic mouse you hold it rather than grip it, but you get used to it.

Sometimes when i do use a regular mouse i instantly notice that it does feel nicer... as soon as i go back to the magic mouse i quickly forget i dont think i could go back to a regular mouse now.

15. xstaycold macrumors newbie

i've heard the magic mouse is horrible. get a Razer Orochi, GREAT for laptops. or pick up one of razer's other mouses. they are all good. every product they make is great.

16. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Ignore the comments about razors, unless FPS gaming is something your into.

The MM is a poor mouse, because it is very flat and depending on the size of your hand you may find you move it around with your thumb and 4th/5th fingers. This is rubbish ergonomics. It's also very limited in the range of gestures you can use.

If you are comfortable with trackpads, get the magic trackpad. Best implementation yet. If not, invest in a decent 3rd party mouse from logitech or microsoft. I'll not recommend a specific model. Pop into your local pcworld/best buy/whatever large computer retailer. Find the mice and handle them. Imagine using it for hours at a time. Are all the buttons easily reachable?

M. :D

17. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've owned and used a MM for over a year now and I'd be lost without it...Looking to add the Apple Trackpad soon now that I've upgraded to Lion (I use my mid 2010 15" i5 MBP in clamshell mode with a 27"ACD, MM and Apple BT Keyboard)...

18. cinek macrumors 6502

had one, didn't like it, not enough DPI, my wrist would hurt... got a magic trackpad instead - happy with it atm

19. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'd get a real mouse, I mean, the "Magic Mouse" is obviously a computer mouse in real life, but it's wretched.

Check out Logitech or Razer (specifically the DeathAdder, easily the best mouse I have ever used). Microsoft makes good mice too, the old school Intellimouse was serious.