Opinions on tethering w/ AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daihard, Sep 28, 2009.

1. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

My understanding is that AT&T currently does not officially support tethering on the iPhone. Some of you have chosen to use some hacks (such as BenM) to get 'round the limitation.

Now, if (and when) AT&T adds official support for tethering for an extra charge, would you stop using the hack and switch to the official method, or would you continue to use your hack because it's free?

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

IF they ever decide to officially support it, it won't matter if you have the hack or not. They will still charge you accordingly.

3. daihard thread starter macrumors 6502a

daihard

That's a good point. I wonder, though, if they have a way of knowing whether or not you're using tethering?

4. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Unless AT&T offers a fair price for official tethering, ie. maybe $10/month, I'll keep using the free hack, works great.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Yup, keeping the hack (Michaeljohnston) until they pry my cold dead fingers from my iPhone.....:p

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That depends. I won't pay $30 extra for limited amount of data. If I do pay something with limits it'd be $15 extra @ a 5GB cap when tethering and still keep unlimited data on the iPhone itself.

However, if I see pricing is too unfair, AT&T will have to take up their because I ain't paying much more. I don't use that much tethering. I just use in case I need quick Internet access on my Mac.

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

It will be an extra $30 just like all their other tethering plans when they officially release it.

8. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I assume that tethering will be just like any other feature that can be added/removed from your account at will? If so, I'll just add the feature via their website the 5-10 times a year I might need to use it and remove the feature as soon as I'm done tethering. Then I would just be prorated for 1 day's worth of usage ($1) each time, correct?