Opinions on the new Dell all-in-one?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yamboyz1, May 29, 2012.

1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I think that would probably be the best all in one for the average consumer for under 600 dollars.

Of course it won't have as good hardware for Under 600 dollars.

But, that looks like a super solid computer for the money.

2. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I couldn't get past the photo. Looks like a cheap iMac knockoff. Are they selling them down where you go to get a fake Rolex?

3. G51989, May 29, 2012
    Last edited: May 29, 2012

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

That's because it is a iMac knock off. Thats the entire point. D

" Hey, want an all in one, but only do basic tasks? Don't want an iMac? Want Windows? Buy me "

I gotta say, I dig how it looks. I wish they made an iMac in that color scheme, that looks sweet.

4. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I've actually used one before and honestly it isn't that bad.
    Would I buy one, no, but if someone was still rocking a P4 tower and an ole' 1280 x 1024 monitor and was looking for an upgrade I'd recommend them this. All-in-ones are perfect for most people.

EDIT: used the previous gen one.

5. Mr Rogers, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

Mr Rogers macrumors regular

Why knock Dell?

I'm no Apple fanbois and currently own two top end iMac 27in i7 2011 models - first, upon delivery of both models in June last year, both were sent back for yellow screen issues, of the replacements, I'm now in the process of swapping out LCD monitor for one - its not even 11 months old.

Apart from the useless GPU, this looks good to me and just remember Dell offer 5 Year warranty - Apple only three with AppleCare - all my post October 2009 revisions iMacs have been in for repair, usually its LCD monitor issues.

So, whilst I like Apple design, I'm afraid to say quality is another matter, particularly each time I need a repair it costs me money by taking time off work and travel expenses.

Remember, we pay a 20% premium just to have a Apple logo - if another vendor could offer a similar spec 27in/30in model that could utilise hackintosh with a five year warranty, I'd be tempted!

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I looked at the front and thought it was a bit poor but that back is piss take.

I bet the CEO of Dell drives around in a Ferrari kit car instead of the real thing aswell.

7. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

Blimey - if it could run Hackintosh, I'd snatch your arm off!

8. leman macrumors 604

Well, the GPU options are clearly underwhelming. Other then that, good for Dell.

9. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

Not with the GPU though

Well, you can bite my hand off, and yes I thought the Walking Dead was okay, but with a dumbed down GPU card, Dell have blown it - had it had the ATI latest mobile card and could be hacked, I'd probably give it a whirl, as it stands, I'm stuck with 27in iMac - hopefully Ivy Bridge will sort out a few heat issues and maybe, maybe, I won't have to swap out LCD panels every 10 months.

10. Duckypoos macrumors member

11. dmorgan macrumors member

graphics options are not up to par with a machine of that price range.

12. redache macrumors member

Quad HD?! how the hell is 720p vs 1440 Quad HD. Nice Dell, real nice.

13. snebes macrumors 6502a

14. Wreckie macrumors regular

I'd rather pay that +€200 for iMac. As seen, there still is some plastic on that PC = no thanks.

15. redache macrumors member

16. cw2k7 macrumors member

Quad HD is correct for 2560x1440 as it's equivalent to 4x 720p screen. (also known as WQHD)

But dell are actually incorrectly listing Full Quad HD which is 3840×2160 which is equivalent to 4x 1080p screens (also known as FQHD)

17. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Eh, well I have an XPS desktop. I got it to do a project and it's still hanging around my home office, playing Diablo 3.

The XPS line is meant to appear "nice." Upon closer inspection, the hardware itself is OK but inexpensive and rather flimsy. You can say what you want about Dell, but they have mastered piecing together a PC for cheap.

I can imagine the LCD screen is mediocre to bad. Certainly not IPS. For most home users this is perfectly OK.

For their "consumer line" Inspirons, I would never own one nor would I advise anybody I care about to buy one. Especially the laptops.

18. Xcelerate macrumors regular

It is a PLS (plane line switching) display, with the general consensus among display enthusiasts being that it is slightly better than IPS.

19. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

That's good to hear, and I'm a little surprised to be honest.

20. astrocramp macrumors member

I've been waiting for ivy bridge all in one for months. I saw this and will buy this machine depending on whether the new iMac ivy bridge gets announced in the next two weeks and if it has retina display. The panel on this dell is top notch, connectivity is all there (like hdmi in), and seems to be decent hardware. Another thing that could sway me is ease of swapping out the hdd, for sure I'd rip out whatever nonsense they put in the dell or iMac and put in a proper ssd like Samsung 830 (2x in raid0 if possible).

For kicks, last week I bought the Lenovo a720 all in one, I wanted to try the interesting touch technology but I'm disappointed they put in only a 1080p display in a 27" for factor so this machine is for the kitchen not my daily workhorse. It only shipped yesterday, so I can't comment too much on it yet.

21. applefiend95 macrumors regular

7th graders analyzing technology, does not make sense. please stop!

looks like you may have to go back to middle school there buddy. take a square which is 1 X 1, this has an area of 1. now take a square whose dimensions are double: 2 X 2, this has an area of 4. are you getting it? when you double the dimension, you quadruple the area; this is why they call it Quad HD; cheers! :D

22. redache macrumors member

Your tone is incredibly condescending and I don't feel it's appropriate.

I was working on the actual resolution and not the physical size of the change/pixel increase. I don't like marketing like this as to me and probably most users Quad HD = 720 x4 or 1080 x 4 NOT the measure of the pixel density increase.

23. DeF46 macrumors regular

Gawd. Even the promotional is inspired by Apple; Can't blame them.

Quality and inspiration is sorely lacking in this world...

I love how Apple is improving the PC and mobile industry and no one acknowledges this fact.

Go Apple! :D