Oprah Winfrey

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by johneaston, May 25, 2011.

1. johneaston macrumors regular

Right now BBC News are doing a feature about Oprah - an American chat show host who bares very little relevance here in the UK. We're being led to believe she is (and I quote!) incredible, amazing, influential, an institution, mother of the nation and various other comments.

For news of a foreign TV presenter to reach here, she must be quite good, but is she really as amazing as we're being led to believe?

2. Abstract, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Not at all. She's just a person who has had problems and milked the world for sympathy.....and got it. For example, weight problems aren't exactly unique in the US or anywhere else, and yet her up-and-down weight loss (and gain) experiences are something many women can empathise with, and she makes sure that they do. It's jot like she has done anything special to get this much attention. She gets a lot of attention for getting a lot of attention.

Now her only problem is how to pose on next month's cover of Oprah's own magazine (she's on the cover of every issue).

3. leekohler, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- she's not who she appears to be. A friend of mine was on her show and said she'd never do it again, she was treated so poorly. I dated a guy who works for her and he had some stories, let me tell ya. She wouldn't even call him by his right name, and he was not allowed to correct her when she called him "Jack" instead of "Sean" (I made both those names up to protect the guiilty, BTW). Insanity.

4. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I saw this on BBC breakfast this morning too, could be because Barack's over and she was quite politically active in that regard.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm sure Oprah has had a positive effect on many people's lives, and that's great. But when the cameras aren't around - damn.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

It's the power of branding and image manipulation, pure and simple, plus a few very widely publicized charity appearances (widely publicized by herself, no less). She has become big enough to self-perpetuate.

The only time I ever saw her was in Throw Mama From the Train. srsly.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Her influence on women glued to the TV can't be denied
    But there is no substance to her

I am not a fan and find nothing compelling about her
    Other than her ability to turn nothing into $omething

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

oh you should share some of those stories.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, this is the internet and I'd rather not. They're not nice stories.

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Well, she's responsible for Dr. Phil and Dr. Bob or whatever his name is getting their own shows.

Has she done a lot of good for a lot of people? Maybe. But somewhere along the line it seemed she started believing her own hype.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I didn't know she knits too??

What a woman.

Attached Files:

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

His name wasn't Hermes by any chance? I hear she hates that name.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! No. :)

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is all news to me. I've no reason to doubt any of it, but boy, that's a far cry from the image one sees on TV.

I do have to say all the religious talk in her final show was off-putting, even for one as relatively tolerant of it as I am. Made me wanna lock her in a small room with Bill Maher.

I also wonder about her statement that everyone is responsible for their own lives. I think that 99% of the time that's true, but I also think it's also an overly broad opinion.

Finally, I wish she'd laid off praising her audience so much. When you repeatedly tell people that they are what made you so successful, it starts to sound like you are just using them as an excuse to keep talking about how successful you are.

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

...and to a very large degree, Barack Obama's popularity.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Notwithstanding Lee's friend's experience, I would LOVE to hear a story from a pilot, that may, or may not, have flown Her Highness about.

;)

19. Surely Guest

Surely

I met her a couple of years ago when she was in town at her offices in Beverly Hills. We spoke for a few minutes in the hallway......she was very pleasant. She could have ignored me and kept walking, but she didn't.... actually, she was the one who started the conversation.

Her success is very impressive if you consider where she started.

Regarding her show.......meh, never watched it.

20. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

how terrible! a shame oprah's 25-year legacy has been spoiled by this incident!

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Oprah is/was the most dangerous woman in America. She is responsible for spreading more irrationality in the last 25 years than any other single person.

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, she is very personable in her manner, and she "uses" her Blackness very well, I'll give you that.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? A Presidential run, down the road? :eek:

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Boy that would be a shocker if that was the case. You know how much support she would garnish. Hell we have two actors hold office why not add a talk show host/actor to the list! :eek: