Optibay? UPDATE: Installed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Afbar1114, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes you can get an Opti-Bay; however, be sure it is Opti-bay and not a forgery. Also, how to install it? The device should come with a manual.

OptiBay website

iFixit Link Be sure here to get the correct one for your machine. Each Mac has different Opti-Bay sizes.

3. nitromac macrumors 6502

There's no such thing as a "forgery" of an optibay as the things cost $2 to make and good quality caddies can be found on eBay for $10-$20. Don't bother spending $70 on a piece of aluminum/plastic with a SATA connector. I bought myself one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-HDD-SDD...7?pt=US_Drive_Bay_Caddies&hash=item415b737383

This is a little bit more expensive than other $10 models, but it includes the specific screw holes used in MacBook Pros. It installs and works perfectly. I added two thin strips of foam to both sides of my HDD so that there would be some kind of shock reduction, and I don't hear it at all now.

Keep in mind though, some Macbooks have different screw holes, but if your 13" MBP is 2010 or newer, you'll be fine.

4. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

what about the ones on amazon? any good i want to try to get this done before school starts. i used the superdrive once ( i think) (might be never) since i had it since jan. so i am looking for a place to just store user files and music and videos insted of the SSD and have all programs on SSD insted is this hard to install? and do i need other cables for it?

5. nitromac macrumors 6502

The one on amazon looks like it will work. Screw holes seem to be in the right place.

You don't need other cables to install, but make sure you have both a thin philips (+) screwdriver and a thin Torx screwdriver. You'll need both to take out the superdrive and replace it.

It's not a very hard install, but you just have to be careful with the cables and all because they are very thin and fragile. My install took about 10 minutes.

6. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

reading reviews it seems like there is no holes to screw drive in place. i guess i can order it and then return it if it doesnt work . i hope its not too hard to install

7. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i think i am going to go with the MCE one to be safe since it has a screw to secure HDD

8. M-B-P macrumors regular

I was in the same position a couple of months ago, but I went ahead with the same exact one from the Amazon link that you posted for my 2010 13'' MBP.

I fits fine, and I believe there were three screws to screw down the caddy tray onto the macbook panel and one( or two) to screw down the hard drive to the caddy.

If t doesn't fit, just return it.

9. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping that this will be easy and all I might need to get something for the SuperDrive so I can put some of the digital movies on it.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You can order a few of the cheap ones for one of those MCE's with a profit margin of 99%.
    There isn't a whole lot of screwing necessary anyway. There is so little space a bit of tape does the trick.
    A guy once only bought an SATA-mSATA Adapter. Put the drive in and stuff the rest of the space with cable. Didn't look great but cost him some 2 bucks, was lighter and every bit as robust as anything else. Actually even better without the tight contact it was dampened, less noise, less vibration even a bit of shock absorption in some angels.

Really that stuff costs 50 cent to make. Maybe 2 for packaging and handling. Most goes in for shipping. Everything else is profit.

Actually in a super drive case which they sell for a lot less is much more magic. That actually needs a SATA-USB controller not just a passive adapter.

11. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I just bought the one posted in the first post on Amazon for $11 and it works flawlessly. Perfect fitment, and it has screw holes to mount the hard drive so its not just sitting there. It was installed on a 2012 13" MBP.

I highly recommend this product.

13. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everything is working great so far. Can i keep my itunes music on it? All my user files: