Optical Audio for IMAC 2011 ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oja123, May 3, 2012.

1. oja123 macrumors newbie

Hello im new here

Im buying a brand new imac 27 inch high end. This will be my first mac

I bought the iphone 4s and the imac2 last year and i absolutely love them

My question was how could i plug in optical audio to my imac? an adapter? anyone have a link for a good one they would recomend?

I bought some Bose speakers and they use optical audio (the red laser)
    i want to connect those to the imac and i saw it only had like a stereo jack

please help

thanks!

2. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

It uses a TOSLINK cable

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/297015-REG/Hosa_Technology_OPQ_210_Toslink_Male_to_Mini_Toslink.html

3. oja123 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Do yourself a favor and never listen to anything anyone at Best Buy says. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches. I'm glad you had your issue taken care of by coming here.

5. driftless macrumors 65816

driftless

You can also use Apple TV2 as it has an optical out. That way you can place your speakers and other stereo gear anywhere you want and not have to have physically next to your iMac if you choose.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

www.monoprice.com

has good prices for it buy 2 adapters for 79 cents each.

they have cables starting at 1.58 for 1.5 ft buy 2 for 1.51 each. I say buy 2 cause they are cheap and if you break one you have a spare. just go to monoprice and search for toslink cable and then search for toslink adapter.

7. Yoder54 macrumors newbie

Here is a page I built on using OS X as an audio server. I use the system diagrammed at the bottom of the page with B&W CM1 speakers. I would put my system up against those costing 2 to 4 times as much. You could do the same with an iMac and have a great movie set-up to boot!

Audio Server

Note: I do not work for Monarchy Audio...I just built the site in exchange for some gear.

8. oja123 thread starter macrumors newbie

i do have the apple tv

please elaboate how i can use this to connect my imac to my speakers?

Thanks!

----------

great advice!

how is the quality of audio when using these adapters?

9. driftless macrumors 65816

driftless

Easy. Set up your speakers/AT so that they are close to each other. Attach the optical cable from the AT to whatever you are using for Digital In, a DAC, etc. (it will probably work with powered speakers as well, but I am not familiar with that option). And then stream music from your iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc.