Options for a snoring spouse/partner

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Mar 30, 2018.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ok, so I've been married for something like 13 years, and my wife snores. She's tried a number of remedies for her to stop, but I think I must try options for my own well being.

So that got me thinking, what do other people do, with a snoring spouse/partner?

For me, I'm going to try ordering some noise reduction ear plugs. Some are marketed specifically for snoring, though I think that's more marketing then actual product differences. At this point, it can't hurt to try.

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

SleepRight strips or something comparable. I had a terrible snoring problem and I started wearing SleepRight strips to bed every night and the snoring stopped. (Although the snoring also eventually went away when I lost 35 pounds.)

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

A lot of times with snoring other things might be at play, like sleep apnea. A sleep study might be worth it to address this. But generally the sleepright strips, losing weight, cpap masks take care of these things.

4. millerj123 macrumors 65816

13 years exceeds the minimum for:

Separate bedrooms.

If it’s that bad, has she seen her doctor?

5. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

6. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

The only solution I have with my precious is separate rooms. Nothing else works. :)

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

she's tried those, with really very little success.

No jokes, that is something we've thought about, but that does rub us the wrong way for a number of reasons. One thing that quickly comes to mind, is when we go on vacation. Its not like we're willingn to pay for seperate rooms. That would seem silly, i.e., go to a romantic bed and breakfast but have seperate rooms, lol.

I do too, but by 3:00am, when I think I naturally start waking up and I'm at the lightest point of sleep, she wakes me up.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Separate rooms is the worst.
    Have you tried ear plugs?

9. millerj123 macrumors 65816

I can and do sleep with a mask for light, but can’t sleep with ear plugs.

10. AmazingRobie macrumors 6502

AmazingRobie

Dear sir, Both my wife and I snore. We recently purchased an air purifier for the bedroom because of allergies and not only has it alleviated the allergy issues, as an unexpected side effect, we both sleep soundly and have not been woken up by snoring once. I've woken up a couple of times during the night to use the restroom and when waiting to go back to sleep, I can hear my wife's breathing and its definitely clearer. In case you want to know which one we got, we live in the south, so we bought from a manufacturer close to us, The Alen Breathesmart model, but we've also read good things about the whirlpool whispure. There's a website that rates and ranks air purifiers which has very good reviews, located here: air-purifier-power.com. Good luck.

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just ordered a pair that may work well. I've used the disposable foam ones in the past, but nor for sleeping. Based on my experience, I ordered a different set that is not disposble. I'll get them in a few days and will report back
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2018 ---
    That's my concern as well, but I'll not find out until I try it

12. icrash macrumors newbie

...maybe this helps: https://www.snorban.eu

...since my partner is using this, she stopped snoring and has a much better sleep...

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

I tune it out, go to sleep mumbling to yourself "ignore the snore, ignore the snore"...............

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I let my wife sleep before I do. She tells me I sound like a sawmill.o_O I try sleeping faced down to alleviate some of the snoring, but I flip back over on my back while asleep. The sawing continues.

:( Yarp. I sleep in the guest room on days I'm really, really tired. My snoring is 3x louder than normal on those days; shaking the rafters, 3.1 on the Richter scale bad.:eek:

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Have her do a sleep study. My husband finally did it two years ago, and I'm ready to share the bedroom with him again. It has made a world of difference. Before the CPAP, I could hear him snoring from the kitchen. Now, I can sleep right next to him, and I'm the loudest thing in the room. ;)

16. Scepticalscribe, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The short answer is that it can give rise to a desire to commit homicide.

In my mother's case - and she was a serious, lift-the-roof-type snorer - two things may have helped; she had an operation on her nose which cauterised a blood vessel that used to burst, and she had a number of heart operations & procedures (pace-maker, four stents); whether it was nose, heart, or both, the problem has been solved for over a decade.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

I agree. I've been away with friends when we shared a room. I vowed to never do it again.

When somebody is a loud snorer it can drive you mad!

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, yes.

You want to murder them.

Mother really was like a cartoon character when she snored; similar to the sort of racket made by @AlliFlowers's husband, you really could hear her from the minute you opened the front door, from the bottom of the stairs, and sometimes from the living room beneath her bedroom.

To my mind, a good night's sleep is worth the extra cost that separate rooms might incur.

19. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

That's why I always do the booking for my annual trip away now. I'm too old for Youth hostels and tbh too well off. I don't need to save a few quid on a room. I'd rather my own room and shower!

20. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Sleep apnea is extremely bad for your health. If at any time her snoring stops, then after some delay is followed up by gasping or gulping for air, then she needs to do a sleep study ASAP.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Amen to that, a very fervent amen to that.

22. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

+1 (or +2). I've joked that I never snored until I got married. :D :p

I got a sleep study done and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea, so I rate getting a CPAP from the VA. I've suggested that my wife get her own study done as well (I recorded a video of her breaths getting stuck between snores, then showed it to her).

Dad used to snore so bad that I'd hear him and be afraid that I'd need to call the ambulance; when he did his sleep study, they recorded him waking up something like every two minutes. Both of my parents use CPAPs now and would never give them up.

23. Abiatha Swelter macrumors member

Abiatha Swelter

If it's apnea, there might be other noticeable symptoms. If she wakes up feeling short or breath or having trouble catching her breath, that could also be a sign of apnea. If that's the case, it should be checked out by a professional.

24. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Careful with the sleep apnea studies. There’s a huge scam around getting people to buy those cpap machines. You have to figure out the cause and solve the problem. Usually it is being overweight. Avoid sleeping on the back. Put a tennis ball pinned in a sock on the back should work. Lose weight. Try intermittent fasting. Shift to a plant based diet. Exercise like walking. If it’s a nose issue maybe surgery might help. Separate rooms is a good start. If you are on vacation then don’t worry about it. Oh also white noise in the room can really help. A good air filter will both clean the air and provide white noise. Maybe she has asthma or an allergy to dust, bedding, indoor air pollution from cleaning products, crappy bedding, etc. Main thing is don’t make her feel bad because then you both won’t be sleeping!