Options For Future RAM Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by blairh, Aug 13, 2011.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Curious to know what my options are if I purchase a 2011 base model Mini and then decide I want to upgrade the RAM in the future. I know I can purchase the RAM and do it manually. Does Apple perhaps also provide a paid service to do this within their retail stores?

My thought process is to get a base model Mini, and then get more RAM if I decide to dip my toes in the video editing waters down the road.

Also, how much would a future 4 or 8 GB RAM upgrade cost me? Thanks.

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Changing the RAM in the current Mac Mini is probably the easiest thing to do, just turn your mac mini upside down, open the plastic lid, unlock the RAM, take it out, put a new one in it, push it back, close the lid, and done.

I think it's probably easier than playing Angry Birds :D

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Haha. Awesome.

Even though I wouldn't upgrade the RAM for probably at least 6 months, even more, what are current popular prices for 4 or 8 GBs of RAM?

4. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

~$40 online - $60 retail for 8 GB. Don't even bother with 4 GB.

Crucial & OWC are both popular on line choices, Best Buy tends to have everything.

IMO 2GB is not enough unless all you are only doing is light web surfing and email.

5. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Can get 8GB of Corsair for $40 after $10 rebate at Amazon.com and Newegg.com.

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Light web and email to start only. I'll upgrade the RAM if I get serious about attempting to do video.

Wow. Then 8 GBs it will be.

What do you think of the graphics on the base model Mini? Suffice for HD video editing?

7. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

Apple says it will work with FCPX... how good it will be i can't tell you but it will at least work

8. haruspex macrumors newbie

yes, and just get yourself the new RAM now because you'll want to kill yourself every time you have to deal with 2GB RAM on that thing

9. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Definitely go for 8 and from a third party, and then even up to 16 once it gets to be affordable about a year or so from now.

10. bama175 macrumors newbie

I just put in 8GB from OWC and this thing flies now. Definitely do it. With 2GB, this thing was laggy and slow. Now, it's great.

And like the poster said above...it is the easiest install ever. Took less than 5 minutes from powering down computer to powering the computer back up.

11. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

not to be a fear monger but the 2009 mini ram got very low in price about 50 for a pair of sticks then it shot up a lot near christmas time.

so these deals for 8gb ram at 40 to 55 dollars could shoot up in oct- dec time frame to 75- 100.