Options for iPad 3 repair?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JesseW6889, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

So I dropped my brand new, 9 day old, 3rd generation iPad... rather, my fiancé dropped my brand new, 9 day old, 3rd generation iPad on the tile. The bezel is dented badly enough to need to be replaced and the glass is shattered.

I didn't get the applecare+ because I hold on to that thing like its my child...

My current plan is to show up at the Apple store I live 45 minutes away from and just start ( or rather, resume ) crying and hope they feel pity. Would they sell me the applecare at that point, it being in the 30 day window and all, or is that insurance fraud?

What are my options for repair?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can get the Out of Warranty replacement - I think it is $299 for the iPad.

3. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Buying insurance after the fact is insurance fraud.

Why should the folks at the Apple Store feel pity on you? If you crash your car do you take it to the dealership and cry, hoping to score a free repair?

Really, your only option is to pay for the repair (which is the out of warranty replacement mentioned above). A new screen will be around $300.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Purchase Apple Care+ over the phone

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689

THIS IS STRAIGHT FROM APPLE:

How to get AppleCare+

You must buy AppleCare+ within 30 days of your iPad purchase.
    There are three ways to buy:

From the Apple Online Store: When you order the new iPad or iPad 2, you’ll have the option to add AppleCare+ to your cart before you check out.

At an Apple Retail Store (requires a Genius Bar appointment, inspection of the iPad, and proof of purchase).

By calling 1-800-275-2273 (requires proof of purchase).

APPLE ALLOWS YOU TO BUY WARRANTY WITHIN 30 DAYS - ITS NOT FRAUD!

5. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

If the iPad is already broken, then yes it IS fraud. Try taking the broken iPad to the Apple Store and asking if they'll sell you an AppleCare+ policy. When they say no, try and figure out why.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

How so?

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

insurance is before the fact... After the fact is fraud.

Get some special favors from your fiance... It can be more lucrative in the long run.

8. Fredo C macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

You may luck out and the store will replace it for you, can't hurt to try. My friend's kid dropped his brand new Ipod touch 2 days after Christmas and shattered the screen and dented the body.

At first she was told she would have to pay for a replacement, but a manager came over and gave her a brand new one. The Ipod wasn't even purchased through Apple, so you never know.

9. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Its not fraud if the company offering insurance gives you 30 days after purchase.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

30 days after purchase, not 30 days after accident to decide you should have bought insurance. Technically, it is fraud.

11. ano0oj macrumors 6502

There's the $300 repair option

Or the $100 +$50 option that requires a little white lie ;)

Insurance fraud? LOL like they're going to look into anything that involves less than $200

12. mac mac mac macrumors regular

If you purchased your iPad with a credit card, you may be covered for the first 90 days. This may be another option. Sorry to hear what happened. Good luck.

13. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Seriously? You're asking how this isn't fraud?

There's a reason why Apple has a policy where iPads need to be inspected by a genius when the owner wants to buy AppleCare+ after the fact. Otherwise it's too easy for a scumbag to wait until he actually NEEDS AppleCare before spending the bucks to buy it. That's how insurance is supposed to work - it's to cover unexpected events, not events that have already occurred.

You think Allstate would sell you auto insurance if it found out that you had already gotten into an accident and need to have your car repaired? Same concept.

14. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Yes it is. Insurance is before the fact... Anything else is lying to the insurer.

LYING==FRAUD

15. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Show where it says that in the agreement - before you deiced to call it fraud.

Also I never said you could buy it 30 days after accident - I agree with you - you can buy it within 30 days of purchase.

----------

How is it lying? Apple says you can call them and receive Apple Care+ - How is this lying?

16. sblanford macrumors member

If you bought your iPad with an American Express card they will replace it for you. As long it is within 90 days of purchase, American Express will pay to replace any item you purchase with your card if it is stolen, or damaged. Your credit card may do the same.

17. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I DONT CARE ABOUT ALLSTATE

Now back to the subject

Apple say nothing about getting it inspected by them when purchased over the phone (go back and read their website) You cannot purchase Apple Care+ whenever I problem happens. You can purchase Apple Care + within first 30 days of your purchase.

18. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Anything to justify your unethical, immoral viewpoint...

The downfall of the world is upon us.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplusforipadenglish.pdf

20. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

This is assuming that your iPad is still the same condition that you bought it. And people like you are the reason why Apple has a policy that says a genius needs to inspect the iPad to make sure it's not already damaged. This is clearly not the case with the OP's iPad. It's already damaged.

The fact that you have to leave out the fact that the iPad is damaged already shows that you are advocating trying to get away with something. If you truly don't believe there's anything wrong with buying AppleCare+ after you've damaged your iPad, then mention the damage to the person on the phone and see if they'll still sell you a policy.

21. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Dude - Apple allows for this - They set the rules - in this case if you follow them you can receive Apple Care+

22. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Allstate, Farmers, State Farm, AppleCare, the name doesn't matter. The concept is the same.

Seriously, it's people like you that try to cheat the system for your own personal benefit that ruins things for everyone else. And it's also the reason why health insurance companies have pre-existing conditions clauses in their policies. Try waiting until you get cancer before buying health insurance and see how far that gets you.

23. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

24. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Concept doesn't matter - its individual company agreement - not what you think it should be.

You would be glad to know another forum member found in the Apple Care+ agreement that it does not cover pre-existed conditions. Thats from Apple.

25. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

"Concept doesn't matter". Right. Methinks you have no idea what the definition of 'insurance' is, let alone the word 'concept'.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to youthful ignorance, because if you're an adult, well, that's just scary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.