Options for messed up iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Argon4k, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Argon4k macrumors member

My iPhone 3G is a little messed up. It has at least 15 dead pixels and the GPS, while it works, doesn't work like it should. It doesn't narrow me down to the right area. For example, while trying to use Gowalla, the GPS says I'm in a different area than where I should be. Same thing when using Google maps while driving and looking for something. Additionally, I don't have Apple Care and I'm outside my 1 year warranty and AT&T won't let me upgrade until January.

Short of buying a new iPhone outright, what are my other options? Is there anyway to get AT&T to let me upgrade now? I have an appointment at the Genius Bar tomorrow but it's not looking good unless I have to pay several hundred dollars for them to fix it (in which case I might as well look at buying a new one). Suggestions? Thanks. :)

2. izibo macrumors 6502

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Get it repaired unit. Repairs are $199. However, they don't really repair your iPhone. They just give you a refurb unit instead, that is equivalent to a new one.

4. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

For $300 I could upgrade to the new one. This is why I didn't want to pay to have it fixed, because for $100 more I could have a new one. Of course they won't let me upgrade, so that's an issue. I guess this might be my best course of action, and if it works like it should then I suppose I could wait until the new one comes out.