Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I just had an sms from Orange saying "W'd like you to trial a great new service that lets you see & read your voicemails." Doesn't this sound like visual voicemail? And if so, surely it sounds like a nice fit for Orange (who are pan-European).

PreacherKane

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
London, England
I never really liked Orange and their tariffs. Always seemed abit expensive. Hopefully everyone will get the iPhone.

Isn't it irritating when a mobile that you've been after, only comes out on another network? Do you stay on your old network and get a different phone or move networks?:rolleyes:

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I just had an sms from Orange saying "W'd like you to trial a great new service that lets you see & read your voicemails." Doesn't this sound like visual voicemail? And if so, surely it sounds like a nice fit for Orange (who are pan-European).

I thought visual voicemail just presented you with a list of your voicemails so you could listen in the order you wanted rather than reading them like this trial suggests.

I don't think this means anything to do with Orange getting the iPhone.

Iggy

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Bournemouth, UK
but did you know that orange will match any of the main tarrifs of any other uk provider. I had O2 200+ tarrif on my orange phone for a while, but i could have had any tarif i wanted, that one just suit me best.

I squeezed 500 any network minutes, unlimited texts, a livebox, free 2MB broadband and evening/weekend voip calls at home for £30 a month out of them. Pretty good I'd say! PLUS if I hook my phone up to my iBook I can get free internet anywhere! Handy.

steve51

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
Essex, UK
Orange to sell iPhone in UK?

I am with Orange in the UK & have heard nothing except the same rumours mentioned previously (Orange, Vodaphone, O2, T-Mobile - it changes daily.

I'm surprised at the member who got Broadband from Orange as they told me it was incompatible with Macs. How's it going?

Steve51

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Urgh, I'm not thrilled at the idea of Orange carrying the iPhone, but it wouldn't be a disaster.

I believe Vodafone would be the best fit.

Both networks love to brand the hell out of their phones, though, and both have removed the VoIP capability from the Nokia N95... they like to meddle.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
I'd love it if Orange got the iPhone deal. I've had bad experiences with every single other phone operator (minus 3, my current provider, though I am only 4 months into an 18 month contract).

In the past, I always found Orange to have the greatest customer service, not only that, but they are one of the cheapest...though there's not very much in it.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Urgh, I'm not thrilled at the idea of Orange carrying the iPhone, but it wouldn't be a disaster.

I believe Vodafone would be the best fit.

Both networks love to brand the hell out of their phones, though, and both have removed the VoIP capability from the Nokia N95... they like to meddle.

02 are the best in this regard, every phone i have received from them have been unlocked. Imagine that, no messing around with the interface like Vodaphone and Orange.

Both of my sisters, and about 5 of my friends were on orange. Back in the day they were amazing but now they are shocking.

Also if it where on orange then the iPhone could be on Panther not Leopard;)

Vodaphone have rally bad coverage as do T-mobile. I think the best option would be 3 or 02.

Well the best option would be for it to not be exclusive to any network. I feel there is a difference in the UK/US market that means if it is tied to a specific network then it will have a major impact on the sales.

If it isn't on 02 or 3 then i won't be getting it. I'll wait for another year to pass and for it to be no longer exclusive. Maybe by then it will be 3G.

steve51

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
Essex, UK
Orange to sell iPhone in the UK?

Have to disagree about Orange. Their customer service is woeful. I am on my 3rd Nokia N80 since last June. Phone or system keeps crashing, you wait hours to talk to Orange only to get an overseas call centre who haven't got the authority to make decisions. I am still awaiting a return call from 6 weeks ago - I just haven't got the time to sit & listen to their crappy messages & even crappier music. In addition, staff at their retail store just shrug their shoulders & tell you to contact CS. They take no responsibility for you as a customer once you've signed.

I'm excited about the iPhone but, if it is with Orange, I'd sooner go without.

steve51

ClaphamChris

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
London, UK
I am with Orange in the UK & have heard nothing except the same rumours mentioned previously (Orange, Vodaphone, O2, T-Mobile - it changes daily.

I'm surprised at the member who got Broadband from Orange as they told me it was incompatible with Macs. How's it going?

Steve51

For me, it works fine. I've been on it for about three years (including when it was branded as Wanadoo). They didn't support Macs, so they wouldn't respond to any tech queries. If you're confident with setting up in System Preferences and tinkering to make it work if necessary, it's fine. Their LLU service is pretty poor, but I'm still on the wholesale BT service they resell and can't fault it.

That said, they've just started to support Macs. Friend of mine had cause to call them and got transferred to 'the Mac support department'. After a longish conversation, turns out the fella he was talking to is the Mac support department. They've taken on one person to support all the Macs on Orange. Progress, I suppose...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Their customer service is woeful. I am on my 3rd Nokia N80 since last June.

Oh I've heard that handset is incredibly buggy... another reason for not going with the N95.

Anyway, I'm on Orange too. I see your 3 handsets and I raise you 5, yes FIVE faulty handsets! The customer service used to be great, they even had a dedicated 3G team in the good old days. These days, yes I agree their service is quite poor in comparison and they keep you on hold for ages... though to be honest I don't know many customer service centres where you're not kept waiting. Despite this, I still favour Orange over the other UK networks.

(this thread really doesn't have anything to do with the iPhone does it?!)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I hope it's 02 or 3 Mobile. 02 have the best coverage (most other networks in our area really struggle to get decent signal).

MrTattoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
I-phone with Orange UK?

I have been in contact with Orange re: buying a un-locked I-phone in france and using it on the UK network and i was told to wait a month and see what happens here in the UK. I got a very strong feeling that they will be having it soon,so watch that space! I have been with Orange for 10 years and i hope that they will come up Trumps for their customers.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I have been in contact with Orange re: buying a un-locked I-phone in france and using it on the UK network and i was told to wait a month and see what happens here in the UK. I got a very strong feeling that they will be having it soon,so watch that space! I have been with Orange for 10 years and i hope that they will come up Trumps for their customers.

Do you think they're only saying that so they don't lose you to O2?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I got a very strong feeling that they will be having it soon...
Don't waste your time thinking that this will happen. Contractually, it is not possible: In the U.K. Apple and O2 are inextricably bound for the forseeable future.

As bartelby suggested this is O2 trying to hang on to you with vague promises and insinuations.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I'm also guessing with the French iPhone you'll still need to activate it via iTunes. So you'll need a French iTunes account.

MrTattoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Don't waste your time thinking that this will happen. Contractually, it is not possible: In the U.K. Apple and O2 are inextricably bound for the forseeable future.

As bartelby suggested this is O2 trying to hang on to you with vague promises and insinuations.

I really can't see any point in "Orange" trying to fob me off just for a month {my contract is about to expire} and as Orange have already been in negotiation with Apple and had success in winning the French bid i think they have a lot of clout! {they are massive} Re: O2 having Apple bound into a contract so tight ,i really can't imagine that "Apple" would be so stupid as to limit their business to one provider {there must be a clause in that contract?}. I think maybe O2 are living on a "Wing and a Prayer" and with the Lousy expensive deals they offer "Apple" will not get the business they would be looking for {it would be a fools game}. I have visited two O2 branches recently and seen people looking at the I-Phone and heard very negative comments when they look at the Tariffs available on top of having to pay for the I-Phone,and nobody appeared to be queuing up for one. If this is not freely available soon i think there will be an awful lot of disappointed people out there.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

Well I know that hope springs eternal… but a bit of realism also helps. :eek:

No matter how much we complain about it, O2 and Apple have struck an exclusive deal.

What is not going to happen is Apple and O2 allowing other parties into their closed partnership. Unless the EC or individual governments force them to play fair. (See EC vs. Microsoft)

If this is not freely available soon i think there will be an awful lot of disappointed people out there.
There already are!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.