Orbo- perpetual energy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been following this story for a while now. Apparently some smart folk in Dublin have come up with a device that breaks pretty much everything we know about the laws of Thermodynamics. In that it creates energy, and has an effeciency of 200-400%
    They claim to have a device that can power an MP3 player or even a car. It works (partially described in the songs on their site :D ) by sending a ball through a magnetic field.

http://www.steorn.com/orbo/

Now. The rather brilliant situation is that a group of respected scientists have been evaluating and testing devices. I believe this started a while ago, and the fact they haven't jumped out instantly and dismissed it as fake is a great sign. They also seem quite committed to getting this out into developing countries which is quite noble.
    Theres to be a mass demo of it in London next month. I'd like one in my iPod plz :p shame not much else is really known about it. Oh, and that the components are patented to hell and back.

What do you think of it all?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

None of this is directed at the OP, by the way, only the linked claimants. Never one to be accused of unneccessary flaming :eek:

Total BS, without qualification.

I've seen so much pseudo- and semi-scientific claims asserting the same thing, that it's almost a no-brainer any longer.

"Orbo is based upon the principle of time variant magneto-mechanical interactions. The core output from our Orbo technology is mechanical. This mechanical energy can be converted into electrical energy using standard generator technology either by integrating such technology directly with Orbo or by connecting the mechanical output from Orbo to the generation technology. The efficiency of such mechanical/electrical conversions is highly dependent on the components used and is also a function of size."

What utter babble. Bottom line, you STILL cannot create or destroy energy, it is simply converted from another form, and in doing so, there is loss. Entropy is not a theory, it is observed and reproduceable fact. All these "transferences" from magnetic to mechanical to electrical energy - without loss? Give me a break. Um, ever hear of friction?

This assertion does actually not explain anything - it is a collage of mumbo-jumbo, as are all from perpetual motion or free energy snake-oil peddlers.

Absolute, unadulterated, bile-inducing CRAP.

Now, if you want to know how I really feel :rolleyes:

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

You can't break the laws of thermodynamics. No way, never. There's a reason they're called 'laws'. An efficiency of 200% means that somewhere inside energy is being made and anyone who's done basic science knows you can't do that.

Don't you think that if this really worked everyone would know about it?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

So if you can't create energy then how did the energy that is here now get made?

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

E = MC ^2...

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The Big Bang really was quite large.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If this would turn out to be true, then it would be quite amazing. :)

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Do you have the names and affiliations of these scientists, or a link (not associated with the company) where they are listed?

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Of course, the best way to prove something is to link to a highly biased site and then to believe what they say.

Obviously, matter can be converted to energy. Lighters, ants, cars, and atomic bombs all prove this.

Steorn (which must be some anagram of "Ha ha, suckers!" in some language) makes no such claims. They claim to multiply mechanical energy.

Anything that doubles the energy while consuming nothing would be very, very, very easy to prove. Put numerous mechanisms in a helicopter, placed in serial to allow the doubling to massively increase the initial energy, and hover. Forever. On a live webcam. Over the Thames. You'd need no other power source once the first was "kick-started" - just feed half of the doubled energy back into it, and use the rest to power the chain.

That'd impress me.

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

As much as I'd like perpetual energy, like anyone else, I highly doubt this. These scientest testing the validity probaly aren't that respected. Stuff like this is like tabloids in the science world. But hey, I don't really know much about science.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

exactly what I was trying to point out, except you didn't seem to think about where the energy for it came from it had to be created from nothing. I doubt that these people have figured out how to do it, but it must be possible.

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

While we don't know the origin of the material that was present in the Big Bang, that doesn't mean it's possible to create energy where none existed before.

It's my personal belief (not based on any evidence) that the material in the universe has always existed, and that we've gone through an infinite number of Big Bangs, followed by expansion, contraction, collapse, and another Bang, starting the cycle over again.

Saying that this group has figured out a way to circumvent the laws of thermodynamics is just silly. :)

13. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

As much as I would like to just ignore this and say it won't work, I just want to see it. The idea of breaking the laws of thermodynamics fascinates me.

I read somewhere (i don't know if its on the site or not, i didn't poke around too much on there yet) that they are planning to unveil this thing in July.

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I read on their site that their 'independent testing labs' verification process would be done at the end of 2007.

Oh, and check this out: http://the.second.law.of.thermodynamics.willbedefeated.com/

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think this is stupid.

What?

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Geez, what a horribly annoying site. All Flash, no content, and a headache in 30 seconds. You forgot the [sarcasm] tag on that one... ;)

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The external verification is to conclude in late 2007, and it's going to be publicly displayed in July.

I probably should have said sooner. But I don't know whether or not to believe this. It's been many months and no claims have surfaced that this is fake, and it's been mentioned on the forums that "big claims require big evidence". God knows why they'd be putting on an event next month if it was all BS.

Conversely Steorns financial reports are a little grim. Big publicity stunt?

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Even with my A-level physics, I think that's pretty easy to understand... except the Thames bit. I'd prefer to see it over The Grand Canyon. :D

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

20. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

What about electrons orbiting the nucleus of an atom?
    Until that atom breaks down etc...

What about movement in space? What factors (assuming an object doesn't enter any orbit) reduce movement? There's no air resistance or friction.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I've just been wondering about that for a while, now.

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Wouldn't be the first time. Carl Tilley's perpetual motion car comes to mind, but there have been lots of these. There will inevitably be some kind of unfortunate mechanical difficulty that prevents the demo from proceeding.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Its not that in certain circumstances motion can be kept on for a very very long time: its the claim that energy can be extracted from such a system and it will keep running.

Bottom line: In any system Energy in = Energy out when you sum up all the inputs (chemical, solar, heat, mechanical etc) and outputs (including losses to friction, waste heat, etc.) The only exception to this is if you convert mass to energy in the form of nuclear fusion or fission - even then you are "creating" energy by consuming a fuel.

All you are doing in any type of device is converting energy stored in one form, to energy expended as work or stored in another form. And in no case is there 100% efficiency.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Exactly.

Even if something could move forever, how are you going to extract energy from it and keep it in motion? If it's producing energy, where is it producing it from? It's coming from something, somewhere, whether it's somehow producing it or mass is converted into energy (and really, this machine isn't going to do that).

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Er.... huh?

25. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Ah, thank you.
    I hadn't taken it to be solely involved with the efficiency of a system.