Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Hi,

I just ordered one IPhone package from ATT with a 2 year contract.
It looks like, ATT messed something up with the order, and send
me two Iphones, both for the same wireless number. They also
deducted the discounted copay for both phones from my account.

So, now I'm not sure what to do; I would not mind keeping the
second one without a contract; but maybe ATT will force me into one.

Does anybody know, how ATT is tracking these things? Is it the
wireless number, the SIMCARD, or the IMEI of the phone.

Casix.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Hi,

I just ordered one IPhone package from ATT with a 2 year contract.
It looks like, ATT messed something up with the order, and send
me two Iphones, both for the same wireless number. They also
deducted the discounted copay for both phones from my account.

So, now I'm not sure what to do; I would not mind keeping the
second one without a contract; but maybe ATT will force me into one.

Does anybody know, how ATT is tracking these things? Is it the
wireless number, the SIMCARD, or the IMEI of the phone.

Casix.

Seriously? Call them and tell them the mistake and send it back if requested to do. Don't try to steal and benefit from someone's mistake.

ksoze

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Give it to the guy in the "Found iPhone" thread above - he likes getting things that are not his ;-)

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
this has happened a few times before, seems att always lets you keep it rather than fix their screw up

wRek

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
WA state.
Call them up and mention you think they may have made a mistake... Better to be honest about it, rather than have them figure it out later and charge you for the phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
this has happened a few times before, seems att always lets you keep it rather than fix their screw up

That is correct. And also it's too much hassle for them to correct it and have them send u a prepaid shipping label. Definetelly not your fault or problem but their screw up. Put it aside for a little while and wait to see if they say anything.

hushmartin

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Kansas
What's with all the morally bankrupt people on here anyway? LOL

Seriously, don't keep it, because if they charged you the subsidized fee for both, then they might come back and charge the full unsubsidized cost when you fail to activate both phones. I believe they can do that, but I may also be wrong. Someone here will know. All I know is that ATT has some way of getting their due!

Just return it and get your money back. What the heck do you need two iphones for anyway?

edited to add: Besides the obvious, selling it, of course.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
What a dumb question. :(

Call them up and straighten it out!

Why is everyone trying to get away with something? If you don't call them your account will be so messed up you may never get it fixed. :eek:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Same thing happened to my friend and he gave the extra to his wife. ATT still hasn't said anything and its been about a year and a half since he received the two devices.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If the invoice says 1 phone then AT&T can't do nothing, cause you signed for 1 phone. AT&T nor the shipping carrier will be able to prove you have an extra phone. I'd say keep or sell it in this case. It will make up for all the BS extra fees you will see on your bill.

If the invoice says 2 phones, then return it immediately.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
That is correct. And also it's too much hassle for them to correct it and have them send u a prepaid shipping label. Definetelly not your fault or problem but their screw up. Put it aside for a little while and wait to see if they say anything.

Really? It's too hard for AT&T to email a prepaid shipping label? How hard is that?

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
Really? It's too hard for AT&T to email a prepaid shipping label? How hard is that?

I think it has more to do with a company who makes $120 billion in revenue each year expecting you to act on their mistake to save them a few hundred bucks. They realize it is a ridiculous preposition and they take the loss and chalk it up as a mistake.

The old, **** happens.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Legally, under US law, if they screwed up on their end, THEY CANNOT REQUIRE YOU TO SEND YOU THE PRODUCT BACK nor can they CHARGE YOU FOR ANY PRODUCT THEY SEND, provided it was a genuine mistake on their end and you had no knowledge of the mistake until delivery.

If they charged your card twice, you have to send it back to get the money back, if you paid once and they accidentally sent two, the second is LEGALLY yours.

Consult your local US Postal Office for more precise terms and conditions. I'm not a lawyer, but I've dealt with this situation before.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think it has more to do with a company who makes $120 billion in revenue each year expecting you to act on their mistake to save them a few hundred bucks. They realize it is a ridiculous preposition and they take the loss and chalk it up as a mistake.

The old, **** happens.

They don't just "take the loss". They have to make up for these losses somewhere.

Guess who gets to pay for these losses?

h1w1nd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2009
When the 1st iPhone was released we ordered 3 iPhones and we're mailed overnight fedex. AT&T only charged us for 2 iPhones! lol

Thanks AT&T! Called them to let them know but seemed like the CS rep didn't care. Still havn't been charged to this day.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Its not hard for them, it is for you.
Most reps wont know what to do, where to send it, and they'll put you on hold or either transfer you from one person to another.
I dont plan on wasting my time and try to explain 10 times to them their screw up and be stuck on the phone for an hour just cause their incompetence.
If they realized it they can try to contact me, I dont work for them trying to fix their mistakes.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I say keep it, it's their mistake. Apple factors mistakes like this into their budget anyways. Besides, it's not much different then half the people on here that bring their iPhone to the apple store to exchange it for a new one 20 times just because they think their apple logo on the back of their phone is a little crooked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.