Ordered a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DZL, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. DZL macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #1
    Well, I bit the bullet and did it:

    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Qty Quote Each Ext Quote Description
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    1 249.95 249.95 AppleCare for Mac Pro & display = 3 Year
    warranty
    1 2,748.00 2,748.00 Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    processors, 1 GB Apple-installed RAM, ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x
    dual-link DVI), 250GB Serial ATA 7200 RPM drive, 16x double-layer
    SuperDrive, Apple Keyboard, Apple Mighty Mouse
    1 29.00 29.00 Bluetooth Module Upgrade
    1 1,788.00 1,788.00 Cinema 30 In HD Display

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    I will upgrade the RAM immediately - 4GB (Omni, as suggested by MM), and get a 2nd HD sometime in the near future.

    Any other thoughts/suggestions?

    I want to thank everyone here who've helped answer my questions regarding this purchase -- I appreciate and value your opinions --

    DZL
     
  2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #2
    You're going to love this machine.

    I haven't pushed mine yet and it is truly amazing.

    What was your previous machine?
     
  3. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #3
    I think you're right - It shipped today -->

    Haha - my previous machine's have all been Dells. Right now, I'm using a 5-year old Dell Workstation - 2mhz processor, 1.5GB of ram, and old nvidia card...

    Funny, that I'll actually be losing ram with this new machine, but oh well. I'm ordering some Omni ram asap.

    DZL
     
  4. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    #4

    WOW>>a 2mhz (TWO mhz) processor?

    i am assuming thats a typo?


    :)

    Brad
     
  5. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

    vicious7

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    Location:
    Jacked into the net...
  6. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #6
    hahaha - yes... i meant 2Ghz processor...
     
  7. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #7
    that's what MultiMedia recommended -

    any thoughts on this, guys?
     
  8. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
  9. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #9
    Right now, though, Omni is selling 2X2GB for $297, OWC's 2X2GB are $399...
     
  10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

    Wild-Bill

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    bleep
    #10
    Lost another one....... :(:(

    Good luck with the system man. Let us know when you get it.
     
  11. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #11
    yeah, sorry wild bill - but if you saw my current system specs above, you'd know why i'm purchasing now... i've spent way more time than i should have on my current freelance job; due to the slowness of the old dell machine.

    i figure if something happens in the next 3-6 months; I can trade this guy in for credit (Powermax.com), and upgrade.

    As for the mac pro - it is due to arrive Monday. I will post some pics when it's all setup.

    Dzl
     
  12. flappo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    Location:
    in the cubicles
    #12
    ha , i told ya not to bother waiting

    well done , the 2.66 is a super duper mac

    you'll be happy no doubt
     
  13. ziwi macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #13

    Dropping like flies it seems. I don't want to, but realistically it seems the new rev. B may not show up until Jan. I am hopful of Oct. being the latest, but Jan. is looking like the real deal.

    Congrats DZL - enjoy it. That is the one I was going for, but just can't justify the value at this time. Can't believe I sold my G5...waiting sucks ;)
     
  14. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #14
    See... I am soooo ready to buy a MacPro. But I'm afraid to. Should I just wait until September to see what happens? I've been waiting since June to purchase and kept pushing it off and off for something bigger and better to come out. If an upgrade doesn't come by Sept. 25, I might as well just wait for Leopard too, right? Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
     
  15. DZL thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #15
    ziwi: sorry to hear you sold your G5... my dell is soooo slow; i had to pull the trigger...

    darthraige: to me, this isn't the end-all be-all -- I can still sell this machine and buy the updated mac pro; whenever that occurs.

    DZL
     
  16. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

    vicious7

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2007
    Location:
    Jacked into the net...
    #16
    I, too, was hoping for some form of upgrade (not the RAID one) on the MP. I guess I'll try to hold out until Sept 25. If nothing happens, then I'll probably end up buying an MP anyway. In the meantime, I'll suffer through with my MBP :)
     
  17. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #17
    Yea, I'm definitely going to wait til Sept. 25. But if nothing happens there, I am just gonna purchase one when Leopard comes out. But who knows, Apple could just be waiting for Leopard and have a super announcement.
     
  18. ziwi macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #18

    Don't be sorry - I got a good deal for it - spent $1599 (added some ram on top of that) on it about 3 years ago and sold for $1100 so it was good for me to pull it - I was anticipating a MP release and therefore another drop in resale value so I had to do it.

    I am mac-less until I either cave in ;) or there is an update. At this point I believe I can hold out until Nov.
     
  19. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #19

    I need something by the very last day of September... Do you think there is hope for any type of magical update by then?
     
  20. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #20

    I think they will update before then. It's been a year since we've seen a big change in the line-up.

    Sure Leopard is around the corner, but let's think about it, it's not going to be that stable at first when it comes out, maybe it'll get better around 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.

    OR, if you don't feel like waiting, buy one now. They are still the fastest Macs!
     
  21. MacTO macrumors member

    MacTO

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    #21
    Congrats on the purchase! You won't be disappointed!

    Cheers! :apple:
     
  22. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    #22
    I'd like to tag along on this one. I'm trying to get rid of my gaming PC for a desktop Mac (currently using my MBP with a 2nd monitor) and was considering the iMac. After realizing what a decked out iMac would cost it seemed almost silly not to look into the Mac Pro considering its expandability and power... not to mention I already have a monitor, keyboards and a mouse to use. My question is (since I know nothing about Mac Pros) how upgradable are these systems in terms of CPUs and video cards? Do you have to wait for new system revisions? After all this talk and speculation about Mac Pro refreshes I'm starting to wonder how long I may have to hold out on this decision... although the longer it takes for a refresh it gives me time to save some more dough even though I want it NOW :D
     
  23. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #23

    See, now I see that you have the machine I was going to get decked out to the same specs... When it comes to video editing, shouldn't I just wait til the end of September to see if anything else faster will come out? An extra quad-core would help out big time with rendering and encoding for what I do.
     
  24. ziwi macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #24
    No one knows when the next rev will come out. THey had the ability to go octo with the 8/7 date due to intel slashing prices, but did not. They either have early SS boards with the Harpertowns that they will spring on us in the next couple months or maybe wait until 2008 MWSF. Nobody knows.
    The processors will only be marginally faster, but if they double the cores for the same price then it is worth it and the TDP is much less on the 45nm die.

    Bottom line - if you need it now then get it now - if you can wait then wait. No one knows except the almighty Jobs when the next MP rev will be released.
     
  25. darthraige macrumors 68000

    darthraige

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Coruscant, but Boston will do.
    #25

    I should probably give him a call and find out what's up.
     

Share This Page