Ordered new Retina MacBook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TC400, Dec 25, 2012.

1. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I will be starting college so I took the money I saved from the education discount and applied it to the RAM!

Attached Files:

2. StefanYFC macrumors member

Smart idea, I chose the Apple Care instead of the ram but I always wonder what will end up being the smarter option.

Otherwise, same as mine! Congratz man and good luck in school.

3. leman macrumors 604

You made the right choice.

4. Livewings macrumors regular

You made the wrong decision.
    Why pay for extra warranty? I always never believed in that. :eek:

5. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

Thanks! Much appreciated. I'm sure I will get the Apple care down the road you have a year to do it I believe. I waited about 10 months to get Apple care for my 2010 iMac its all set to end in September 2013 :( However, my hp laptop from 2010 is getting old I needed something to get me through the next few years of school for information technology I think this will keep me covered :p

RAM has always been important to me the more programs you run the more you need but if your a everyday user you should be fine with the stock 8GB. Since its soldered to the logic board you can't upgrade it so it's worth to spend that little extra $$ now because it's literally un upgradable? If thats a word lol.

6. sindekit macrumors member

Because it comes in handy.

7. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

I dont know where he lives, but in my country, the base model of rMBP costs 5,000 dollars, so yeah... Apple Care is a must here.

8. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

I'm in the United States. Where are you from??

9. Livewings macrumors regular

Wait you can do that?
    Buy later down the road? :confused:

10. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

I did it with my iMac. I couldn't afford it at the time of purchase just as long as you do it with in the first year

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

That should answer your question :p

11. sindekit macrumors member

Don't forget there's a student discount for the AppleCare! I saved quite a bit on the apple care for my iMac!

12. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

Oh thanks for that! I will defiantly remember to do that when I go to purchase it. Is there a direct link for students?

I also got M$ Office 2011 a family pack from Best Buy today for $99 not to shabby either :D

13. Livewings macrumors regular

Cool. Thanks :D With that, I shall spend money first on more RAM so it can last for at least 3 years for my college studies.

14. sindekit macrumors member

Try if this works. store.apple.com/us-hed/product/MD012LL/A

If it doesn't, just click on the Education Store.

Looks like a student discount saves you $110! Insane!

15. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

to the OP, you will love that machine. I just bought one of my own, and it is unbelievable. 2.6, 16, and 512 here.

In terms of the AppleCare debate here, I don't think you can call it a waste of money by any means. AppleCare is simply extending the insurance with your machine. You are buying risk prevention. This is clearly not a waste of money, but I can see how you might not think it is worth the price.

Everyone has their own opinion on insurance, but imo AppleCare on a unibody machine such as the rMBP seems like a great value.

It's just like any other insurance though - if you don't use it, yeah you lost out on value, but if by chance you have a problem with your machine after the 1 year mark, all of a sudden the idea to spend $215 (approx price with student discount) on AppleCare seems like a great buy.

16. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

Welcome! How far down the road do you see yourself getting a new Mac?

----------

Thanks for the reply I will save that in a document so I always have it!

----------

Nice! I thought about the 512 for a bit then I decided to pass my iMac is my main machine ( maybe not for long :p ) But 256 should keep me covered. I've always wanted a Mac laptop for as long as I could remember ever since the original black MacBook but when I got my iMac it was the better value for me at the time of purchase compared to a base 13 inch MBP in 2010. I'm glad you are enjoying your rMBP. I do see quite of few people on here have some "minor issues" with their displays I don't know if its people just complaining or some people are having serious issues with these displays. I figure if I have any issues  will step in and take care of it.

17. Livewings macrumors regular

College starts in April. So I guess soon enough, I'll have my hands on the world's most innovative notebook. :D

PS: I also realise it's a bad time to get rMBP by that time. But I will have no choice. :(

18. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

First off I would like to wish you good luck with college!

Maybe there will be an update by then? I personally was kind of waiting for them to hit the refurb store.

Would you get a 13 or 15 inch?

I bet I could take a lucky guess :p

19. Livewings macrumors regular

Thank you, you too! :D
    I hope so. I think they'll hit refurb soon enough.
    15. Dedicated Graphics ftw plus all the quad core goodness.
    13 seems like a total ripoff.

20. TC400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

TC400

I agree. I thought the 13 inch was nicely priced then I saw the poor specs and the poor amount of options you can choose from. No quad cores no dedicated graphics :|

21. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

22. kh3khalid macrumors regular

The same rMBP that you ordered costs $2450 here (UAE) - with the educational discount! + we don't have AppleCare here :(

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Aside from someone who does heavy video editing or photoshop.....I doubt anyone will notice the difference between having 8gb vs 16gb in the next 5 years. I mean you can get away with 2gb on mountain lion

24. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you bought from the education store you don't need to add AppleCare unless you need phone support. It comes with a 3 year warranty :).

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

not in the US.