Ordered rMBP 13 Already Regretting :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dissdnt, Oct 23, 2012.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

So I went ahead and ordered the rMBP but I'm already sort of regretting it.

I currently have last years Macbook Air and really wanted to upgrade. But now I see that the Macbook Air has an 8 meg option, plus i7 2.0 thats turbos almost as fast as the macbook pro. Plus it has the same intel graphics.

So my question is, is the pro even worth it? In a side by side test, which I'd love to see, how can they be much different? (Anyone know of an i7 Air vs a regular macbook pro 13?)

If ports are all the difference we are looking at, besides the res, is there really a point?

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Keep in mind that the Airs use ULV processors, and don't have the Retina display (which is probably the biggest (only?) reason for buying the r13").

3. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I can't tell you what to do, but I found the 13" rMBP announcement pretty disappointing. I'm personally waiting until Haswell is released next summer. Graphics will be much more powerful, and it's possible that they could make the rMBP even lighter. Chances are that it will also be a bit cheaper in a year's time (the price seems ridiculous to me) and come with more storage.

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

If you have last years air, which is a totally capable computer, I would wait for a couple cycles. Sucks that you ordered it with 4 rather than 8gb ram though.

5. Michason macrumors newbie

I'd say wait since you have an air to keep you in company.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

People do it because of the Res.

WHY ARE YOU doing it? And why are you asking us?

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You know it's stupid, you know you have wasted your money that's why you created this thread.

8. bob24 macrumors 6502

Agreed. Keep yoru Air for a few more months.

Unless you really need/want a better screen, the Pro will do very little extra for you at a much higher price point.

In the summer (or before) Apple will have to update the one year old 15 Retina and they will likely bunp up the 13 as well to have them on the same cycle.

They will pretty much for sure include Haswell which has a much more approprite GPU to drive a Retina Display.
    I guess it will partly depend on the sales of the current model, but I think they are likely to double the storage on each pricepoint or jsut reduce the price.

I am not the kind of person who usually delays a purchase waiting for the next generation if CPUs or silly things like this; but in this case I think in just 8 months you might find youself a bit annoyed to see you machine was just replaced by something which works much better and costs quite a bit less. Since you already have a nice laptop ... waiting a bit probably makes sense.

9. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

Why did you buy it then? You fell into the Apple hype most likely, maybe next time use your brain and THINK before you waste your cash. The 13" Retina should even be called a "Pro" machine to be honest.

1. Ridiculously overpriced
    2. Pathetic Storage
    3. Weak graphics
    4. Limited RAM

A Pro machine... this is not.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It IS a pro machine! Profit Reaping Overkill.

11. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

Cancel it! Keep your Air and wait for the next refresh. It's almost certain you'll get more for the money with Haswell.

The current specs are totally overpriced.

12. cstm macrumors regular

The screen of MBA looks like absolute garbage next to a rMBP. cMBP looks like it came from the 90's next to rmbp. That's why people buy it.

13. nostylez macrumors member

Don't forget to add color reproduction on the air isn't as good as the non-retina 13". If you're into photo editing like myself.

14. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

13" rMBP is a total rip off and i pity people who think its a "good buy"

You may as well just write a cheque to Tim Cook.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wonder if I should start a "Didn't buy a 13" rMBP and don't regret it a [expletive deleted] bit!" thread?

Nah....

16. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Or perhaps, rather than pity, respect that other folks may not have the same requirements as you and that the rMBP is a good fit for their needs?

17. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

Maybe you need a pair of glasses instead..

18. Retina-08 macrumors newbie

I regret myself waiting for this 13" rMBP....
    I was hoping to buy my first MBP/Apple computer this year, (will need Windows and Linux on it also, but that's another story. :)), but the 13" is really a shame IMO.

Or I buy the rMBP 15" or I will wait till next year....

19. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Sorry ill never respect anyone who convinces themselves that spending that kind of money on a really underpowered toy is a sound investment.

This MBP is an epic fail.

Apple really are testing the boundaries of its customers intelligence.

20. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Send the rMBP back, sell your 2011 air and get the 2012 air. The main difference between the older 11 models is the GPU - the 2011 air can only do 1x thunderbolt display with its Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics. The 2012 Air uses the Intel 4000 integrated graphics, and can drive two thunderbolt displays plus its own display.

Get the Air - its a MUCH better deal than the crap 13" rMBP.

----------

Sorry to jump into your convo here, but could you actually explain what the 13" rMBP has that makes it so attractive over the 15". Weight cant be it because the difference in weight is tiny. Thickness cant be it as the 15" is THINNER than the 13".

I find it hard to buy that people are going for the 13" just to nock off 4.5 CM from the width of it.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hmmmm we can't tell you how to spend your money or whether to cancel your order. If you're not happy or excited then that should say it all.

And today you should have a ham and provolone sandwich on sourdough bread for lunch. PM me if you need help with dinner decisions. I have a couple of thoughts.

22. Liquinn Suspended

23. scarred macrumors 6502a

Why are you asking these questions after spending the money?

----------

I'll never respect anyone like you, who trolls around forums trying to make themselves feel bigger then others. I think you need to find yourself another fan site. This one is for people who are interested in apple products.

24. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

The size difference (15" doesn't fit in a lot of smaller over the shoulder bags) and the weight difference (1lb is actually quite a bit for daily carrying in an over the shoulder bag) and also the usability- a 13" is much more usable on a plane, or on a smaller person's lap, or on a couch, or, I daresay, while walking between meetings or classrooms in a building.

25. KPOM macrumors G5

It's about $100-200 overpriced, IMO. If the 256GB version were $1799, it would compare quite favorably to the 256GB i7 Air. But to say it is a toy is an insult. The Ivy Bridge CPUs are pretty powerful. Not everyone needs a powerful GPU.