Ordering iPad 2 from J&R.com

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hwu182, Mar 19, 2011.

1. hwu182 macrumors member

Hi Guys,

If you ordered or are planning on ordering from J&R.com post here:

I ordered this morning the 32GB White iPad 2, and he sounded un-optomistic about their 3/30 shipment date.

2. dokindo macrumors regular

also ordered the 32gb white wifi this morning, and my rep said expect delivery by the 30th

3. SWAT macrumors member

4. Chwisch87 macrumors 6502

Considering current apple store orders are like late April.... How could JnR be saying oh 10 days!

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I just ordered one and was told they were expecting a "huge" shipment this week. We shall see.

6. jmf80111 macrumors newbie

I also just placed an order. The person I spoke with said they're expecting a shipment on March 24th.

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

8. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

I put down an order as well. The rep said they don't know how many they're getting but they'll do their best to fulfill every order. We shall see...

9. hwu182 thread starter macrumors member

Do you remember around what time PST you ordered? I ordered around 9:45 am PST. Just trying to determine if my order will go with the 30th delivery

10. Dan27, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

Dan27 macrumors newbie

Literally just called them and ordered a 16gb black wifi model. The guy said this is a really popular model (dah!) and that they already have over 300 pre-orders for that model. I asked him when will I get it if I ordered now and he said that they expect 460 Ipads of this model on March 30, so he said I should be fine and get my iPad within a few days after that date. I think this is great if true. Not only is this relatively quick with all the shortage but they don't charge tax (if not in NY) plus free shipping with UPS :)
    Also he said they put a hold on your cc but do not charge you until they ship the iPad and you can cancel anytime. So I am pretty happy. Let's hope he is right.
    Above all I am just glad I don't have to stay in line at 4am for the CHANCE of getting lucky at the apple store.

11. ozred macrumors 6502

I highly endorse J&R, I've done a lot of business with them and received terrific service.

Had just one problem due to a product defect that I discovered after unpacking it. Therefore it was a manufacturing defect.

I called J&R, and much to my surprise they sent a replacement overnight.

I don't work for them, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

12. Pirahna macrumors newbie

Pirahna

Just ordered a black 16g wifi, they said they had 318 preorders and a estimated ship date of the 30th. He didn't seem to have much faith in that date though.

13. Dan27 macrumors newbie

So you ordered the same model as me. I talked to Peter. The guy in general sounded very unenthusiastic :) not just about the iPad but was very nice and did say they expect 460 iPad 16gb wifi black on/by 30 March. I think this is a good hedging position. If I find one somewhere else sooner I'll just cancel the order. Of course, there is also the chance that they don't get enough Ipads by March 30...will see.

14. Pirahna macrumors newbie

Pirahna

Yep, I talked to Peter as well. Let's hope they really do get 460 in.

15. egonpax macrumors 6502

Just ordered the 32GB Wifi Black from J&R.

It was quick and painless although I haven't received a confirmation email as of yet. I get paranoid that they didn't get info right like email, etc.

He said they expect to get them on 3/30 (3-4 business days shipping).
    He also told me they'll be getting ~191 in and I'm 135 on the pre-order list.

16. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

My confirmation email came a couple of hours later. If you want to make sure everything is ok go to their website and check your order status.

17. egonpax macrumors 6502

I was just about to ask about the email confirmation so thanks.

The guy over the phone (I'm guessing this Peter guy because he was very "meh" but nice) told me that the order would take at least an hour to show up online.

18. bigwinnerx, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

bigwinnerx macrumors member

Just called and ordered a 16GB Black Wifi from Patrick (at extension 1010 to send him some business directly)

My confirmation email was already waiting by the time I walked from the conference room to my desk.

I asked when to expect it and he said 2-3 weeks. If they say no shipment until March 30, that's next Wednesday. Tack on 3-4 days to ship and that's April 4th, which would be 2 weeks from today. Sounds good.

19. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

At what point do they authorize your card? As soon as you place the order? Or are they just taking information for now and will have you pay when they come in stock?

20. bigwinnerx macrumors member

There may be some sort of hold process to check the card, but, you're not fully charged and billed until the item ships.

From the confirmation email:

"Your credit card will only be charged when your order is shipped."

21. Dan27 macrumors newbie

The funds are authorized immediately but you are not charged until they ship. My balance hasn't changed (no money has been deducted) but it says that there's temp merchant authorization of $499. The money will be deducted when they ship the iPad or it will be removed if you cancel.

22. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

If the funds are authorized, it will still overdraw you if your balance isn't high enough to cover it, won't it? Bank of America.

I want a 32 GB AT&T, but my check won't clear until Wednesday. Won't the $729 charge overdraw me or my debit card will be declined?

Side question: Does anyone mind calling and checking on the preorder status of the 32 gb AT&T? I'm in class for most of the day.

23. Dan27 macrumors newbie

Usually yes, but in this case the funds have not been deducted. My account is also with Bank of America. It would be best if you call/ online chat with BOA and ask them.

JR.com are open until 9pm EST so just call them after class.

24. egonpax macrumors 6502

I got my confirmation email about 1 hour later.

Your Sales Representative is Ty at Ext. #1011 (very straight forward. nice. understandable. told me i was 135 in line without me asking.)

25. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

what did you guys order and what # are you in line?