Ordering my new imac 27 inch within the next 2 hours! Advice Please?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Elektrikz, Mar 26, 2013.

  1. Elektrikz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    #1
    Hey Guys,

    Ok first of all does anyone know when I will receive my customized unit in the UK? The website says 3 - 6 Business days for dispatch?

    Ok here is the specs part!

    Should I go for the 3.2ghz i5 or the 3.4ghz i7?

    I am also thinking on the 1TB Fusion or the 768GB Flash?

    Have decided on the 2GB Graphics & Obviously 8GB Ram :)

    A little about what it will be used for:

    Gaming, Photoshop, Business and whatever new things I can find :)

    All opinions appreciated greatly!
     
  2. forty2j macrumors 68030

    forty2j

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #2
    Very few applications can take advantage of the i7 HT, so unless you already have one in mind it's not worth it.

    The full SSD is very pricey.. the main reason to get it is if you have a use case that Fusion doesn't support well, e.g. wanting a substantial internal SSD partition available in Windows/Bootcamp. Outside of a few fringe cases, Fusion works very well.
     
  3. Shane1905 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    I'll second that, although I went (rightly or wrongly) for the i7 as I plan on having this machine for several years to come and wanted to future proof against any applications that do further along the road. You could use the cash saved to go for the 3tb fusion now that bootcamp is supported. Although that almost bricked my hard drive, I now have a 2.3tb fusion drive...
     
  4. firedept macrumors 603

    firedept

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere!
    #4
    I say the i5 3.2 plus fusion drive. Be it the 1 or 3TB. I have i7 3.4, 1TB Fusion, 2GB GTX 680 and upgraded my RAM to 24GB after purchasing and really enjoy it. For what you do the i5 will work fine. I need i7 for the type of work I do. Upgrade you RAM aftermarket, as Apple charges way to much. And enjoy your new purchase.
     
  5. corpfan1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    #5
    I maxed mine out...got 32GB of RAM from a 3rd party and now I am partying!
     
  6. FreemanW macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    Location:
    The Real Northern California
    #6
    Hear, hear.

    Same here. The only upper option I elected to forgo was the 768GB SSD. When I ordered, Apple was still smoking crack and pricing it at $1,300.
     
  7. Elektrikz thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    #7
    Thanks guys...

    So far everyone recommends the i5 right?

    Just stuck on the fusion drive now lol!
     
  8. anisatam macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #8
    i5 should be great for photoshop, and upgrade the RAM with the remaining money.
    But if you think you will keep the machine for 3 years and longer then I would say go for the i7.



     
  9. WilliamG macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2008
    Location:
    Seattle
    #9
    Bear in mind you can always use a Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 boot SSD right now and upgrade at any point down the road. If you absolutely have to have an SSD (which you do - it's the best), I'd really recommend NOT going with the one from Apple. The 768GB is just far too expensive. Go with the 1TB non-fusion from Apple, and then buy a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + USB 3.0/Thunderbolt enclosure, and save the money for when larger SSDs are worth it. Then you can run your OS off the 256GB, and use the internal 1TB for games/photos/whatever, of just fusion the external SSD to the 1TB internal disk. Then you'd have a larger pool with the 256GB vs the 128GB Apple fusion setup.

    FYI, like many, I've been running an external boot Thunderbolt SSD since December. Not one issue.
     
  10. Elektrikz thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    #10
    Does an external SSD run as fast as a built in SSD?

    I read somewhere on here that it is around 20% slower!
     
  11. boogieman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    #11
    I cannot tell a bit of difference running ssd on thunderbolt as to my internal one in my MacBook Pro.
     
  12. Elektrikz thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    #12
    surely the price will work out around the same though correct? Although I understand i will get more space on the SSD :)
     
  13. WilliamG macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2008
    Location:
    Seattle
    #13
    I mentioned in another thread I can't tell one bit of difference between my Samsung 830 256GB in Thunderbolt enclosure vs my super old OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD. Once you go ANY SSD these days, the differences in real-world speed between any of them is minute.

    The benefit is double the space, you end up with a nice Thunderbolt enclosure (get the Seagate Backup Plus 2.5") and the ability to replace that SSD in 30 seconds down the road, - vs opening up your iMac.

    Up to you, of course, but that's what I'd do (and did).
     
  14. dandrewk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Location:
    San Rafael, California
    #14
    Whether or not the 768gb is too expensive it totally dependent on the buyers ability to afford it. For some, that $900 option is a spit in the bucket, so it all goes to the value of the faster drive.

    I, for one, will never, EVER go back to HDDs after experiencing the jaw breaking speeds of my iMacs' SSD. But that's me.

    I will say, if the OP is going for the SSD, might as well go for the faster processor. Those who say the i5 is fast enough for nearly everybody might be singing a different tune a few years from now. Future-proofing often is a wise investment.

    You probably know this, but that's an apples to oranges comparison.
     
  15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    #15
    I am in the same boat, pick up a i7 3.4 3gb fusion top model today from local Apple reseller or for $500 less order i5 with 1 gb fusion from apple online for $500 less.
    Being a tax right off $500 over the next 3-5 years is nothing. Have had my late 09 for 3 years. Cant stand the heat anymore :mad:

    They only stock base models or top end, top end is probably overkill for me now but could get me to 5 years with it instead of 3?
     
  16. boogieman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    #16
    Yes what I meant was the ssd is my boot drive on my 2012 imac and it boots and runs same programs via thunderbolt just as quick as the one in my macbook pro.. didnt mean for coping files and stuff boot drives and programs opening is what I meant....
     
  17. Elektrikz thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    #17
    I think i may go with the fusion if i am honest!

    The reason being is when I come to sell I think an external SSD may lower the value?

    Anyone else think this is the right thing to do?

    Thanks for everyones input :)
     
  18. anisatam macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #18
    Some people prefer internal storage than external so it all depends who buys it off you in the future. But i think dont think about selling, rather think of the best use for the kind of work you would be doing on it.
    Fusion is a great option because it gives you the best of both worlds at a great price. But its just 128Gb. If you do photography or work on huge Psd files, that might fill up fast.
     
  19. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2010
    #19
    I'm just always iffy on anything that fuses two items into one. Doubles your chances of complete failure and the same holds true for the Fusion drive.

    I'd say stick with the 3TB and 3.4 i7 (I'd even pop in for the 680MX, but that's just me :)) and add the external SSD. When you sell it later you keep the external and use it on the next machine (or not).
     
  20. anisatam macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2011
    #20
    I agree with this. I dont trust HDDs anymore with important work or important files. I went for the internal 768 SSD , i got sick of hdds dieing on me, at crucial times.

    But depends on what you can afford too. Is the apple tax worth paying for you??
     
  21. firedept macrumors 603

    firedept

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere!
    #21
    Let us know what you end up getting. And enjoy the new toy.
     
  22. Raima macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    #22
    Just curious why 3TB fusion wasn't considered by the OP
     
  23. Adam22 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2012
    #23
    I'm in the same boat ... Don't know if to get the higher end imac for $1999 (no fusion) or get the base 27 $1799 (plus fusion =$2050) .... :-/
     
  24. flavr macrumors 6502

    flavr

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    #24
    Go higher end...you can always add external SSD which is just as fast...but the slower video card and minuscule 512MB video RAM of the lower end iMac will become an issue in a year or two...and is not removable
     
  25. Elektrikz thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2013
    #25
    Ok guys here is my order list!

    Might get flamed for adding the i7 but was thinking on the future :)

    Hardware
    •3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    •8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    •3TB Fusion Drive
    •NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
    •Apple Magic Mouse
    •Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
    •Apple Battery Charger
    •Accessory Kit

    Total should be £2,323.99
    My Total = £2,044.80

    So the discount made up for the i7 and fusion :)

    should be here by the 8th of April at the latest, I have never fully understood if the apple delivery estimate is bang on though? States I will receive between the 4th - 8th April!

    Thanks for all your help!
     

Share This Page