Ordering online vs going to Apple store this Friday

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AJsAWiz, Apr 5, 2015.

1. AJsAWiz, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

"Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts has delivered a "confidential" video briefing to all Apple Store employees telling them how to handle the pre-order day for Apple Watch on April 10, a source tells Business Insider. The source did not want to be named because Apple frowns upon internal leaks.
    The key fact for Apple Watch buyers is that online booking and sales for Apple Watch will begin at precisely 12:01 a.m. PT / 3:01 a.m. ET. If you want an Apple Watch, that will probably be the best, quickest way to get one. The online Apple Store has now been updated with that time.

The video was called "Keep it confidential - a message from Angela," the source said. In the video, "she kept saying that 'the best way to get in line is online,' implying that people should order them online even if they come into the store," our source says.

By implication, walking into an Apple Store on April 10 will probably NOT be a good way to get a watch — you will only be able to book to make an appointment, and you'll have to come back. April 10 is the day you will be able to book an appointment to try a watch; the actual product only becomes available on April 24.

It is an open secret among Apple Store employees that for all new Apple launches — especially new iPhones — the best way to get one is to avoid the store on the day of launch and simply buy one online. The stores tend to be a zoo on product launch days and Apple has trouble supplying enough products to meet demand.

The latest message from Ahrendts suggests that Apple will again attempt to persuade customers to stay online to get the product they want. Whether Apple's famously enthusiastic customers will actually listen to Ahrendts' advice is a whole other issue."

Enough said (for me) I'm sticking with online ordering this Friday!
    Glad I don't have to go to work (retired).

2. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Why would Apple not want customers to order in store at the same time that they turn up for their try-on appointments?

3. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

I'm ordering online because I want one on launch day, then scheduling a fitting to see what band pairs best. I will order that at the store, if they facilitate such.
    If not... well, I know how to use a computer. I'll order it when I get home! =P

4. AJsAWiz thread starter macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I didn't interpret that confidential information as Apple not wanting people to come into the store. I saw this as a more effective alternative.

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think from what I've read recently you can order in store when going for your try out appointment. I don't think Apple have any way of letting you preorder whilst in store. What they will do is ask you to go online at home or allow you to go online on one of the store display computers to order online for home delivery or in store pick up on the 24th or later.

At least that is my understanding. In other words whether you want to preorder for home delivery or reserve for in store payment and pickup you will ha e to do it on line on the Apple retail site.

6. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I think Apple has finally realized that huge launch line-ups outside Apple Stores will do more harm than good for customer service. The iPhone 6 launch fiasco was a prime example. I think the influx of Asian scalpers was the deciding factor leading to this change.

7. Glene macrumors 6502

If you know what you want, online is the best way, using your iOS product.

Ill buy two watches, make a decision and rerturn one to the local store.

8. Sharkey311 Suspended

I'll be preordering online and shipping it and picking it up at the UPS store the morning of the 24th (what I usually do with iPhone) but I will also make an appointment to go in on the 10th so I can try on the one I ordered. And I'll return the next day and the next and the next lol

9. Starfox macrumors regular

All Apple Watch stock that's in the US on the 24th is assigned to retail stores. If your order online for shipping it will *SHIP* on the 24th, not deliver on the 24th.

Tightest. Launch stock. Ever.

10. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Wow is that true. I think a lot of people ordering on line are expecting to receive their watches on the 24th

11. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I would hope that it wouldn't ship on the 24th. I want it to arrive on the 24th!

I guess it isn't that big of a deal though, if I make an in-store pickup reservation I just get to make a trip to the Apple Store! :D

12. sterl320 macrumors 6502

I' got my 6+ delivered to me on launch day, so Apple is capable of shipping them out before the 24th. Do you have a link or some kind of proof that the Watches won't be shipping before the 24th?

13. Glene macrumors 6502

I like to see some more documentation on this shipping on the 24th. My understanding is that I order on 4/10 and it is received at my home via FedEx on 4/24. Like every other launch.

14. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Right. My iPhone 6 shipped directly from China and still arrived on launch day. I see no reason this will be different.

15. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Theres gonna be a lot of disappointed people if thats true.

16. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

I've seen no reason to believe this is true. Post reasoning for this statement.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

My understanding is they will be shipped to be delivered on the 24th. It even said that on the Apple site at one point. I have no reason to believe otherwise unless someone can provide an official confirmation source that says otherwise.

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Source? I highly, highly doubt this.

19. killawat macrumors 65816

Yes at this point I want nothing other than something on Apple's own site. All these " my cousin's friend's uncle's sister's brother's baby mama said that their twin sister was told that :apple: Watch won't even be on sale on the 24th" stories are starting to get crazy. It's less like macrumors and more like macfanfiction

You do realize this would run counter to damn near every other recent :apple: product release ever particularly for device launches that had higher demand (various iPhones). If they could do it with those constrained supplies then why not the apple watch too.

20. refslady macrumors regular

The Apple website says "Available April 24" - I expect that to mean that I can have a Watch in my possession ON the 24th.

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

Actually that only means it will be available for sale from that day. Like I said though they did have a statement on their web site that said "shipped for delivery on the 24th" if I recall but have since taken it down probably replaced by the new statement that indicates preorder start time.

22. AJsAWiz thread starter macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I don't believe that is correct. While it's possible that your delivery may be pushed back as time progresses, I think that pre orders made on the 10th will, indeed, be shipped for delivery on the 24th. I can't see them straying from past practices.

23. refslady macrumors regular

It is "available for SALE" on the 10th via preorder; what are you saying: that the 24th is just more preorders?

24. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Ordering online vs going to Apple store this Friday

If you preorder on the 10th your watch will be delivered the 24th just like every other product launch.

Please stop spreading wrong information.

25. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Agreed. This would deviate from every launch preorder they've ever done. It would create MORE lines in stores as people try to nab Day 1 stock, not less.