Ordering Tomorrow - Last Minute Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davmcn, Jul 4, 2011.

1. davmcn macrumors regular

Hey,

I've finally got around to purchasing a new Macbook Pro. Tomorrow I'm going to be ordering one online.

I think I've decided I'm going to go with the 15 inch Macbook Pro with the 2.2 Quad Core, I don't think the 2.3 is worth the 225$ upgrade in my opinion.

I have one or two quick questions before purchasing, instead of getting the standard 750GB 5200RPM hard drive, I decided since there isn't any price change, I'd go for the 500GB 7200RPM hard drive, good choice ?

Also, I've been on the edge of deciding if I wanted to get the High Resolution Glossy screen for my Macbook Pro, not sure if I wanted to get it or not, Is it worth it ? Any picture comparisons etc and opinions really appreciated

I'll be using this laptop everyday for school, I'm going into Media Production , and this laptop is actually a requirement for the program. Going to be using CS5 and Avid Media Composer, and Final Cut apparently. Just wanted to make sure this is a good idea to do for, before pressing the " Buy now " button.

Thanks for all your help,
    Dave.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Why not go to a store and check out the high-res version vs. the regular version for yourself? All laptops in the MBP line are pretty good and can fulfill a number of needs but your needs are different from the others.

Since this is a high cost purchase, I would go check them out in person first if you can. It's better to be sure than to regret it later - especially if you're building a custom one online.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

agreed.

i have the glossy screen 13" and love it. others hate it. you are the one that has to use it. i'd go take a look.

4. noiceT macrumors 6502a

You should get the hi-res, anti-glare.

Also get the SSD option.

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

So jealous. <--typing from a 2.53ghz dual-core MBP. The 7200RPM HDD seems like a good idea. I have one in mine and it seems to speed things up a bit compared to my last MBP with the standard speed HDD.

6. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I have the 15" 2.2ghz i7 as well and it has the normal resolution screen and it works fine for what I need when editing videos and photos. I didn't see a need for the hi-resolution screen especially when I have a lcd at home I can hook it up too.

7. Shohan macrumors newbie

I went through those same debates and ended up going 2.2, 500GB, with the hi-res glossy. Why? I went to the Apple stores and Best Buy and checked everything out. I knew I wanted the hi-res. In the end I just liked the looks of the black bezel, the way the colors looked compared to AG, and in my case I could deal with any glare as I'm usually in little direct light. Now that I have it I don't think I could have dealt with the standard definition and while I could have gotten used to the AG screen and bezel I'm much happier with it as is. That said the only time I had an issue with the glossy screen was trying to watch a movie with dark scenes in a full lit room. I ended up looking at myself during those times. Didn't know the movie was a horror flick. ;)

8. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

The faster hard drive is a good bet. :)
    The higher resolution display is always nice for media work. You get extra room for more tool palettes. The normal res screen is great though, and if you don't want to shell out the extra cash don't worry to much about it. Comparing the two is a good plan, but really only the Apple stores have all the models, and i know a lot of people who don't live too close to one (like me :p)

9. f2tai macrumors newbie

Definitely go hi-res, especially because you are working with images + video.

Suggestion for you to choose between the displays is to understand in what workspace are you going to be using your macbook pro the most - bright/reflective areas = anti res, less bright/matte environment = glossy but really its also up to your tolerance levels / comfort working in that environment. I have had both types of panels and can say both are great - i think the matte has better colour saturation, but in the right environment the glossy has better pop - there is the huge glossy vs matte display and you just need to make your peace with it!

Again given you are working with lots of media, the 7200 is best - but nothing tops an SSD, but i am also guessing you do not have infinite budget to blow on a laptop :)

Good luck!

10. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm definitely going For the glossy screen , I prefer it the most and dont work in areas with direct light and also if I had an unlimited budget I'd definitely get an SSD ... Maybe in the future . Thanks for your help everyone

11. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Congrats! The best feeling is when you see the box sitting at your front door step.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

and the lousiest feeling is when you're waiting for it to arrive.

What is the standard display new MBP comes with? I bought the base model (as shown in my sig)... so what display do I have? How can I figure this out from system profiler?

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

As in resolution? Just go to System Preferences-Displays and then look at the resolution selected. I have a 15" with the standard res screen and its 1440 x 900.

15. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My estimate says "prepared for shipment " does that mean it'll tomorrow :D?

16. Cole JM macrumors regular

I certainly hope so for your benefit.

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Copy and paste the exact specs of the machine while you wait. We wanna see. :)

18. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

2.2 quad core i7
    4 gb ram
    500gb 7200rpm HDD
    15.4 glossy screen ( hi res didn't interest me when I saw it )
    3 year apple care
    100$ free app store card

19. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

Any bag suggestion (backpack only ) that are good for MacBook pro's?

20. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Any backpack with a pocket will suffice. I'm a college student, so I go for a little bit of style too. I currently have a DC backpack with a laptop slot in it. Just make sure that the pocket for the laptop will be right against your back when you're walking.

21. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Aren't signatures mandatory for delivery?

22. Shohan macrumors newbie

I just picked up a Swiss Gear Ibex from Best Buy. Big bag, lots of room, many pockets, and seems pretty sturdy. My 15" in the Booq Vyper fits great in the laptop pocket as well.

A signature for the box is required, but you can pre-sign for it if you print and fill out a page and stick it on your door. Link to the form is in one of the emails they send and talks about pre-signing.

This might not be a bad idea, but only if you live in a safe neighborhood obviously, because mine came a day early. It was scheduled for Friday and came Thursday.

23. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

Probably so. They ship quickly, but if you are on the East Coast it takes about a week unless you upgraded your shipping. I will never order another Mac on standard shipping. It is like torture knowing that your Mac is en route and just going slow for the hell of it. Congats on the purchase. If this is your first Mac, it will change your life.:D

24. davmcn thread starter macrumors regular

I already knew I had to be there to sign for it. Still very excited and hopefully it shows up early next week :D

As for the bag, I found one at Costco, It's a swiss one too. Just want to make sure it fits my new expensive baby perfectly .

thxs everyone !

25. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Indeed. Well sorta. You can do the FedEx release form thing that you tape to your front door. I knew I wasn't going to be home during the day when it was scheduled to be delivered, so I took the chance and let the FedEx guy leave the package on the front porch. Luckily I live in a nice neighborhood, but nothing worse than knowing a $2400 box is sitting out in the open. Not as bad as knowing you missed it being delivered though. ;)