Ordering Top Spec 15" w/o 750m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hapt, Oct 30, 2013.

1. hapt macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I just placed an order for a 15" 2.6/16/512 machine with the 750m (basically up spec'ed high end model on store), but I'm reading some posts here and I'm getting doubts regarding the need for the dGPU.

I'm not into gaming (this is a development machine/vm host), and I guess I just figured why not get it as its the same price as the same spec 2.0 Ghz upgraded but without the 750.

There were also some posts about when going to the 2.3+ you automatically get the 750m but I'm doubtful about their authenticity :D

What would you guys do? Less heat/power and switching headaches, or a free dGPU in that case?

Thanks.

2. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

I think it is stupid to pay the same price for a 750 and not get it:confused:

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Get gfxCardStatus and you can disable automatic switching, manually selecting which GPU to use. Since it is effectively free, you might as well have it in case it might improve performance, and if it doesn't, just select the Intel.

4. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I agree, this is what I do :) very nice utility. And if you do want it to switch like when you are just browsing the web, you can always set it to switch, very simple tool.

5. polymersayb macrumors regular

According to this post, it is no longer possible to force integrated-only mode. Do you know if that is correct?

6. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

As per a recent note from the developer, "gfxCardStatus works fine with Mavericks if you're using a supported [read: dual-GPU] machine."

https://github.com/codykrieger/gfxCardStatus/issues/129

I believe there are several forum members who can back this up, too.

7. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

correct, im pretty sure it would cause damage to the graphics card. That's why the have discrete mode, if you are running integrated only and say you open Photoshop or final cut, it informs you that it has switched to discrete and will not allow you to change to integrated until you close those apps.

8. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Think about all the Photoshop users on a Macbook Air with only an integrated card. Damage to the graphics card? No.

9. sholzer macrumors regular

Yea I'm not sure how running photoshop, or any program, will damage your integrated graphics card...

10. Xeos macrumors newbie

There is absolutely no way to damage your Iris Pro or Iris GPU running any regular program on your MacBook Pro. As others have said, people without discrete GPUs run (and are very productive in) applications like Photoshop and Final Cut Pro every day -- there are plenty of people that game on these chips as well.

11. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

justlike my 13" Pro but the 15" needs it for some reason... (it has a bigger screen and more powerful processor)

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You can not damage your GPU, CPU, HD etc. at all running Photoshop! If Photoshop or any other app not made for over clocking or something similar can not damage your computer components. If it wants more power it will just run slower.

13. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I never had a problem running CS5 on the iGPU of my 2010 MBP, for what that's worth...

14. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Stop posting on MR, pls.
    There are lots of newbies who might actually believe what you're saying.:rolleyes:

15. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

he asked for advice so I'm giving it, the app doesn't allow you to run on integrated graphics with big apps open.

16. Donsig macrumors newbie

Yeah, and do you know why? Probably not.. It's because the machine loads all the graphics into the video memory once you launch the app, something that can't just be moved once the program is running. - It has absolutely nothing to do with damaging your GPU.

17. isephmusic macrumors 6502

O_O less heat and battery ? absolutly none of the work ur doing with vm will be on stand by power for long. you will only get 3 hours battery that way lol you def are going to want a graphics card. dont spec up the one that does not included it. makes apple think they can keep doing that which im against. the 15in should of always had one included thats why people go for it to use pro apps on a big screen

18. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

I didnt say it WILL I was just suggesting I was not 100% sure just throwing out ideas.

19. pixpixpix macrumors regular

from the developer

I tweeted Cody Krieger, the developer of gfxCardStatus and he replied:

"As far and battery life and heat are concerned, you're way better off not having a discrete GPU."

Since I'm not a gamer but a photographer I ordered the base model, fully maxed out.

20. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Well, for future reference for anyone, you can not damage your computer my running something that wants more power then you have.

21. ianj1972 macrumors member

working here for me, I can force integrated or discrete only options, although for some reason it sometimes takes two selections to get it to stick.
    Cant see any reason so far to not take the 750m option if its the same price, even if you leave it disabled.

22. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I think the quantifier "way" in the phrase "way better" might be a bit of an exaggeration, but his point remains valid.

23. kaellar macrumors 6502

But will it be disabled? I mean, literally? Will the rMBP with disabled (via gfxCardStatus) 750m tie the one w/o 750m in terms of battery life and heat? I guess it won't.

24. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

I would think the battery life would be very close, as in minutes if not the same. The heat should be the same.

25. thebrick, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

thebrick macrumors regular

thebrick

Yes it does. it won't drain any extra power if your machine is running only on iGPU. (or it will be less than 30m difference in avg)
    *note that I've been using dual graphic machines since 2010, mid2010 15", and now moved on to Late2013 higher-end.

The point here is, if you can't disable the dGPU, system will automatically detect higher graphic usage apps and automatically switch to dGPU whenever possible. that will cut your battery running time for from avg of 8:XX hours to avg 3:XX hours.

I don't think gfxCardStatus doesn't support iGPU only mode anymore since ML came out. it was pain in the neck since when it stop supporting that mode for me. By then was the point that I've started bringing the charger brick with me whenever I carry my MacBook Pro.

My Late2013 can last around 8 hours easily with iGPU mode , wich is stunning compare to mid2010 that I've had. but, still it can only last 3 to 4 hours, based on the indicator with dGPU (*this comparison is totally without any heavy load)