Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirkmc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I have two original HomePods, connected to my Apple TV. I turned on the TV and one wasn't working; not responding at all. When I plug it in a different power outlet, there's no light, nothing. Has anyone seen this? It seems a bit odd that it would just die, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the 15.1 update.

geolab

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2021
just wrote this , hope it helps

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Normal and expected behavior. I'd be worried if it was still working after 3 years. ?

I'm expecting Apple to treat this like they did with the 1st generation Time Capsule. Ignore and sweep it under the rug.

• Sad
Reactions: caligurl

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I had one break (pop and no longer work) just a slightly after the one year mark. so far (knock on wood) the other 5 biggies are working.... just not sure for how long......

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
My 2013 Mac Pro is still grinding away on the World Community Grid.

My 2018 HomePod is now a paperweight. The only thing it will play now is "The Sound of Silence".

• Sad
Reactions: I7guy

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Normal and expected behavior. I'd be worried if it was still working after 3 years. ?

I'm expecting Apple to treat this like they did with the 1st generation Time Capsule. Ignore and sweep it under the rug.
Heh. My gen 1 Time Capsule from 2007 is still working fine. It's too small so I have a 3TB Seagate connected to it as a network drive. It just keeps plugging away.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Well, one of my 2 launch day OG HomePods just die. Going to take it to the Genius Bar and see if there is anything they can do, but keeping my expectations very low.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
One of my HomePods died last month too. Hell, App-hell replaced my Airpod Pros way after warranty was up on that recall for for cracking noises. That Airpod Pro recall had to cost them way more than the piddly # of Homepods sold.
Not happy with Apple on this. They know...

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Was quoted $399 AUD to repair it. Not going to do it given the same issue will more than likely happen again I’m the future. Will be attempting to fix it myself once the parts arrive.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
If your original HomePod ever made any popping noise in the past randomly, it will eventually die for good. Apple will never acknowledge it, but the forums are full of people who had this problem

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Apple having a good run audio their high end audio equipment, huh… HomePods popping and farting, AirPods Pro crackling and popping, speaker issues on the Studio Display… I’m sure there are more I can’t think of at the moment.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Apple having a good run audio their high end audio equipment, huh… HomePods popping and farting, AirPods Pro crackling and popping, speaker issues on the Studio Display… I’m sure there are more I can’t think of at the moment.
Seems like only their first product, the iPod Hi-Fi was one without design faults

Reactions: Itinj24

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I purchased four of the HomePods when they were first announced so I've had them for approximately 4 ½ years. I haven't had any problems with any of the four and they have always worked perfectly.

Not saying that the other reported problems are not correct, but it isn't as if every HomePod has had these issues.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I purchased four of the HomePods when they were first announced so I've had them for approximately 4 ½ years. I haven't had any problems with any of the four and they have always worked perfectly.

Not saying that the other reported problems are not correct, but it isn't as if every HomePod has had these issues.
🤫 the HomePod Gods are listening lol.

You’ve never even had any of the software issues with Siri? Not one fart? I’m jealous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.