Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacko71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2022
Hi all ! I was recently given a brand new (never opened) iPad (still in it's shrink wrap)
and when I looked up the model # (MC497LL/A) I see that it was the first ever introduced on April 3rd 2010
64 GB and has Wifi & Cellular
I remember a story a while back when a brand new iPod sold for $20k at auction!

Anyone know if this will or has any value ? I have checked Ebay but only see some that are "used"

Thanks !

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Probably in 40 years it will have some more value than now to a collector. But it probably won’t hold the same value as the first iPods etc. Or even as much as an original gen one iPad in the same condition. Certainly nowhere near that of something like an original Apple computer for example.

I wouldn’t hold any hope out for anywhere near 20k in the short to medium term.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If you can find a collector it may have some value, but no more than a couple of hundreds dollars at best...
Remember, the battery will be 100% dead, so the iPad will not even turn on anyway, so the collector should be someone who wants to leave it wrapped...

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
If you can find a collector it may have some value, but no more than a couple of hundreds dollars at best...
Remember, the battery will be 100% dead, so the iPad will not even turn on anyway, so the collector should be someone who wants to leave it wrapped...
I have a couple of the original iPads in my office and the batteries are hanging in better than you would suspect.

Reactions: ReneeReader

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
It should have some value to collectors in time, but provenance is going to be important. I recall stories about people selling supposedly new and sealed iPads that contained bricks.

If you haven't already, you can check the serial number on Apple's website. That should verify that the device has never been activated -
https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/ (UK site)

You can also check the date of manufacture. The earlier the better -

It would be good to have the original invoice and a letter from the buyer explaining why it was never used, but that might not be possible.

F27

macrumors member
May 24, 2022
Shrink-wrap can be very easy to reapply by unscrupulous people so more supporting documentation would be needed for it to have a higher value. As said, an original receipt etc would be ideal.

Because of the sheer volume they sold at it will be quite a while before it's worth a reasonable amount.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have a couple of the original iPads in my office and the batteries are hanging in better than you would suspect.
Which is perfectly normal, since they have been used.
I am talking an iPad that has never been turned on in 12 years. There are some videos on the internet showing what happens most of the time in those cases...

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I have 4 of them in working shape however they are practically useless as Safari won’t open most pages and most apps such as mail are not fully functional. This is pretty disappointing considering my 2008 MacBook in comparison is still fully functional and perfectly useable.

They make awesome desk clocks however 😂

Keep it sealed and perhaps in 50 years it will be a collectors item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.