Price Advice Original iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jayrun, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jayrun macrumors newbie

Hello all. I was just given an original iPhone 8GB (it's unopenedd in the box)! I know it's pure speculation, but I'm a little curious as to how much it is 'likely' to appreciate over the years. I'm not sure that I will end up selling it, but I would like to hear some thoughts on the matter from people who are better informed on this stuff than I. Thanks.

2. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Maybe in 700 years, it'll be worth $700

3. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

At the bare minimum, I'm sure it will always be worth at least "A couple hundred."

There will always be someone on eBay willing to pay a lot for an unopened Apple product, regardless of what it is. The fact that it's the first iPhone can only help your case I suppose. Put it away for 5-10 years and see what you end up with!

4. barredfreak macrumors 6502

Don't really know about what it will do for you in a couple of years, but keep it. You never know.

5. jayrun thread starter macrumors newbie

6. nickos94 macrumors newbie

As of now, I doubt you'd get much. Anybody who is looking for a phone to use can already get the 3gs for free with a contract.

As far as an antique, it may be quite a few more years until it is worth any kind of significant amount of money. I would suggest putting it somewhere safe and sitting on it for 10-20 years. Keep it brand new.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Personally I think that you'd get maybe $400 bucks from it in 6-7 years. I don't think that unopened first generation iPods (11 years?) sell for more than that much.

8. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I recently saw a guy on this forum looking for an unopened original iPhone and was offering to pay top dollar, so you never really know I guess. Theres always SOMEONE out there looking for something semi-rare like that.