Original iPhone

jayrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2012
Hello all. I was just given an original iPhone 8GB (it's unopenedd in the box)! I know it's pure speculation, but I'm a little curious as to how much it is 'likely' to appreciate over the years. I'm not sure that I will end up selling it, but I would like to hear some thoughts on the matter from people who are better informed on this stuff than I. Thanks.

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Hello all. I was just given an original iPhone 8GB (it's unopenedd in the box)! I know it's pure speculation, but I'm a little curious as to how much it is 'likely' to appreciate over the years. I'm not sure that I will end up selling it, but I would like to hear some thoughts on the matter from people who are better informed on this stuff than I. Thanks.
Maybe in 700 years, it'll be worth $700

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
At the bare minimum, I'm sure it will always be worth at least "A couple hundred."

There will always be someone on eBay willing to pay a lot for an unopened Apple product, regardless of what it is. The fact that it's the first iPhone can only help your case I suppose. Put it away for 5-10 years and see what you end up with!

barredfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2012
Don't really know about what it will do for you in a couple of years, but keep it. You never know.

nickos94

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
As of now, I doubt you'd get much. Anybody who is looking for a phone to use can already get the 3gs for free with a contract.

As far as an antique, it may be quite a few more years until it is worth any kind of significant amount of money. I would suggest putting it somewhere safe and sitting on it for 10-20 years. Keep it brand new.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Personally I think that you'd get maybe $400 bucks from it in 6-7 years. I don't think that unopened first generation iPods (11 years?) sell for more than that much.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I recently saw a guy on this forum looking for an unopened original iPhone and was offering to pay top dollar, so you never really know I guess. Theres always SOMEONE out there looking for something semi-rare like that.