Original MBP or RMBP? More for your money?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by STiNG Operation, Jan 23, 2013.

1. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

I'm sorry this is probably a repetitive question.

I'm considering purchasing a new MBP next month.

After doing some research it seems like you can get more "bang for your buck" with the original MBP than the retina.

I just need to know what most people are doing when they look into buying one of these laptops. Is having the option to upgrade RAM/parts worth not getting the retina MBP? Thank you.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The only question you should be answering when decodig between classic or retina is, how much do you use the DVD/CD drive?

Also, do you prefer/need Ethernet or can you go wireless.

3. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Specs/$$ goes to MBP.

Aesthetics/Screen goes to rMBP.

4. STiNG Operation thread starter macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Thanks for the quick response. I have no need for the optical drive. I'm more concerned with the hardware on the rMBP becoming out of date due to not being able to add upgrades such as RAM.

5. JoJo Zzang macrumors member

By the time your laptop needs more than 16GB of RAM... I would think you would need a new laptop in general. Most people STILL don't need more than 8GB of RAM... if that. :rolleyes:

6. mabaty macrumors member

Just get the rMBP with 16GB ram, think about what feature you use the most. When ever you're using the laptop, the most used component will be the screen right? Wouldn't you want that to be a top priority, since it is how you interact with the computer daily? If you go the 16GB route you eliminate the RAM upgrade issue, and the SSD is replaceable. By the time you need more than 16GB RAM, you will be ready for a new computer anyway I bet.

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

Apple's already thought of that.

They'll have a new model to sell you.

Remember selling hardware is their cash cow :)

8. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

Personally after using my new rMPB I do not think I could ever buy a non rMBP version again, the design and screen are amazing, well worth the money if you ask me. However like others have said if you need certain connections the rMBP is lacking or want to upgrade ur machine later, you may want to get a non rMPB, shop around for refurb models, they are great and save quite a bit of money if you don't need to customize anything.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

8GB should be enough for next 3-4 years. After that, yes 16GB might sound like an option. Make your decision on your current need.

10. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

Unless you are running multiple virtual machines then you would want more then 8gb.. not saying most people do but a valid reason lol

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Which model are you thinking of getting, the 13" or the 15"? Remember even on the cMBP the only real upgradable parts are RAM and the HDD. The RAM limitation is a bigger issue on the 13" since the one and only configuration is 8GB, while you can install 16GB of RAM on the cMBP (using third party RAM as that configuration is not officially supported by Apple).

You can purchase the 15" rMBP with 16GB of RAM, so if you do that, it should be about as "future proof" as a 15" cMBP. Granted, there is only one company that makes third party SSD modules available for the rMBP, but that becomes relevant only if there is a significant improvement in SSD speeds over the next few years within the capabilities of SATA III.

12. leman macrumors 604

I don't think that cMBP is a very good value. A windows laptop of similar specs (and I am really talking similar specs - weight, battery life, performance, screen) can be had for less. Now, rMBP is an excellent value - simply because you won't find that kind of high performance/screen real estate in such a light package anywhere else.

P.S. I am talking about 15" model. If you are after a 13" model, the MacBook Air is almost always the better choice in that class.

13. Ploki macrumors 68010

False.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1520194
    rMBP is in fact a better value

I went with 16Gb, due to extremely fast drive speed, I'm using less than 6GB on projects that used 8GB+swap on my old machine.

14. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

You sir are correct. My mistake.

15. -jc macrumors member

-jc

I chose the MBP instead of rMBP for several reasons:

Lower price
    Wanted ability to change RAM/drive myself
    Wanted to wait to see how reliable the rMBP is first - never buy a first gen Apple product!

For my next machine though, in a couple years, it will be a rMBP (although by that time, I doubt Apple will be making the non-retina anymore).

16. Ploki macrumors 68010

I bought a first gen uMBP and first gen rMBP and couldn't be happier.

not the first batch though, waited few months.

17. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Same reasons for me.

You can't place a set monetary value on the ability to upgrade the RAM yourself. For some it's worth a whole lot more for them to have the choice to do that, than it is for somebody who couldn't give a crap or don't have the skill and/or knowledge to do so.

Plus, I never buy first gen on anything when it comes to computers or electronics.

18. STiNG Operation thread starter macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Would you suggest waiting for the rumored update to the rmbp line this spring/summer or buying one right now. I'm looking at the 15" with 16gb ram.

19. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Who ever thinks that price and over all everything on the rMBP is better value is totally wrong. You can do a lot more to a classic MBP isnt lke you could upgrade that machine to 1TB or 2TB right? Please external devices dont count. You dont even have a dvd burner or Kinsington lock either or battery meter. Who ever thought less options and a better screen was better than more options and a decent screen has a totally warped view.

20. Ploki macrumors 68010

Mine is perfect. BTO 2.7/16/256, Samsung display, no issues at all. perfect machine

21. STiNG Operation thread starter macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

That's the other side of the argument I was looking for. Did you end up buying the applecare plan with it as well? I'm just not sure how much I want to shell out for one.

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The option to upgrade the memory and hard drive on the cMBP is pretty moot. I think that most people who think otherwise just feel more comfortable having that option but don't really "need" it. Just how many times and how many upgrades are you planning to do? SSD/memory are the only two you can do anyway. And those are standard or bumped up to 8GB standard on the rMBP.

The battery indicator is cool but hardly a big deal if it didn't have one. It's not precise (100% but only < 10 individual LEDs?). Optical drive? Use an external one. It's not like you use that thing frequently.

23. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Hey,

First of all, I haven't really took the time of reading the other posts in here, but here is what I think of the entire "MBP vs rMBP" situation (they each have their pros and cons):

1. rMBPs, no doubt about it, have a far better viewing experience (with regards to the extremely high quality screen resolution) than the normal MBPs.

2. rMBPs have NO optical drive. Is this important to you?

3. All parts in the rMBPs are soldered in. What you buy is what you get. I believe the only thing you can upgrade down the line is the SDD.

4. Maybe it's just me, but I've been hanging out on these forums for a couple of months now, and it seems as if the *majority* of all the problems under the MacBook Pro section are related to the rMBPs (just numerous things going wrong, especially with the screen i.e. screen retention, weird/strange marks, etc).

5. The rMBPs are extremely expensive. To max out with a decent SDD and max ram (16GB) would cost more than buying a MBP at the normal 8GB RAM, and upgrading to 16GB for roughly $80-100 (depending on where you buy it from), and buying an SDD separately (or even down the road when prices are cheaper).

Just a few things to consider. I hope this helps.

24. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Based on me not going first-gen on anything, get the non-Retina if you buy now. If you wait until refresh or spec bump (whatever it ends up being), then buy Retina.

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

i wouldnt go for the mbp especially when the "new" one comes out around june and the "old" thicker design is completely obsolete. id be so pissed walking around with a dated design but thats just my shallow me :D

the limit on the 13inch is 8GB anyway so theres no point in upgrading and u can upgrade the SSD if u want to. who seriously replaces a battery? by the time it turns to crap u most likely buy a new machine anyway