Orlando vs Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bluebird3, Sep 5, 2013.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

Hello thinking about possibly relocating to either town/area. I like the fact that Orlando is so international and happy place, but I've heard it's more humid and crime is high? I like the fact that Tampa Bay is close to water but not as international. Also bit old and more industrial? But also has alot more retirement community and still crime is rather high?

I'm still young and want to be active, meeting people and getting involved with good friendly international community. I enjoy art, concert, nature, cultural event. I'm thinking more toward Orlando, but not sure. What area of Orlando (county,etc) is a good area to move to ?

Any insights, pros and cons ?

2. thelead macrumors 6502

Grew up in Orlando, went to college in Tampa.

Tampa is BORING unless you're into getting drunk every night. Neither has much "culture" though. I decided to move back to Orlando after college.

If you're even remotely thinking Miami, DON'T.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What city are you moving from? I lived in Florida all my life until I moved to Colorado in 2005. I would recommend Orlando over Tampa.

4. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking because of the tourism, Orlando is always packed with people from all over the world? I like that vibe... Miami sounds ok except more hot, more expensive, and more crime.

----------

Small town about 100.000 people..... it's an ok local grown never leave the town mentality people, but it's not for me. How about St.Pete?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

St. Pete is God's waiting room. They roll up the sidewalks at 9.

Orlando > Tampa

The Orlando tourists see is about as real a representation of the city as EPCOT is of Europe. There is any variety of activity you want. A diversity of neighborhood options. Atlantic 1 hour, Gulf 1 3/4 hour. Direct flights almost anywhere (passed by airport with 3 Virgin 747"s parked other day).

Chamber of Commerce

7. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Orlando sounds great then, which area of Orlando (county) is recommended if i may ask ? Im interested in peaceful but international community that are convenient..... I'd think close to highways and not congested, mmmm perhaps just out side of 417? how about dr.Phillips area or anything around sea world? Kissimmee/st. Cloud/poinciana ? I'd have to come down to stay in the area for few weeks.....but local expert knowledge is better. :)

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Kissimmee - largely Hispanic (Puerto Rican)
    St. Cloud - getting away from where you seem to center your focus. Mix of Kissimmee and old-Florida families
    Dr. Phillips - more upscale/pricier
    Poinciana - middle of nowhere and hard to get in and out of
    Hunters Creek area - Bit more balanced
    Celebration - Pricy, planned community
    There are lots of options in the downtown area also

9. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

I've always thought down town had bit more crime and more expensive ? I'm looking at winter park/maitland/lake howell/altamonte/casselberry, but if i wanted to drive to Tampa bay, I'm afraid that would be to far...especially having have to go through big traffic on I4 around downtown and attraction area? Or highway is quite advanced/well organized there?

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Downtown doesn't have much crime. Pine Hills and MetroWest are to be avoided. I4 is the road, so if there is an accident you would be in trouble. In addition plans are for major upgrade construction project in the next few years. All the recent area you mentioned are nice...but driving from north of downtown during rush hour is brutal.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

They're both in Florida...right?

... 'nuff said! :p

;)

12. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Huge help, THANK YOU so much. mmmmm now thinking back to South Orlando.... south orange county... Or along 429.

13. thelead macrumors 6502

To me, the nicer areas (that are easy to get in and out of) are:

Hunter's Creek (easy to get to Tampa)
    Lake Nona (most central)
    Windermere (less central but very quite)

14. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Fantastic. :) will look at those area.
    Are those wealthy neighborhood or more middle class ? I'd like to in the middle class community (can't afford to live in high class community for financial and mental reason ).

15. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I just moved away from there … 15 minutes south of Disney and 40 west of Tampa. My advice: GET THE HELL OUT OF FLORIDA!!

16. thelead macrumors 6502

There are affordable options in all three areas. There are also some not so affordable options in the areas as well. I would visit the three areas.

17. pdolan407 macrumors newbie

If you can afford winter park or Maitland I would definitely take that route or at least consider. If you can't I'd definitely start looking into South Orlando areas. Conway, Pineloch, and Lake Nona is a great, relatively newer community.

----------

Windermere is pretty pricey

----------

I really hate that the majority of ppl put the label right off the bat that Orlando is only a place to visit not to live and **** on everything else but the parks. Really just ignorance. Orlando is a great place to start up a family, new life, retire, etc. It is a booming city that is one of the fastest growing in all of the country. Tons of things to do and very diverse. Think outside the box you've been put in by Walt Disney....

18. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

You couldn't pay me to live inland in Florida (between I75 and I95). It's close the coast or nothing IMO. So, I vote Tampa. The weather is better and you've got beaches.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

My favorite area of FL is Sarasota and I would take Tampa Bay over Orlando. Of course, you are much younger then me :D.

20. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Good point, Orlando has more humidify?

----------

I've heard great thing about Sarasota how it's progressed......

21. NewNewz macrumors newbie

NewNewz

If the choice is Orlando or Tampa, I think I'd choose....

NYC

;)

22. Jbp915 macrumors member

Jbp915

Tampa ( or around the tampa area). As a former Floridian, you will want to be closer to the coast. If you have any allergies ; the ocean breeze will help. Orlando is great and all,but more traffic and I4 is a pita. Grew up on the east coast (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami ) , but visit a lot to sarasota and tampa. West coast florida a little more laid back. Mean you could go a little more south to fort myers. Just depends on what you are wanting to do & live. Family ? or single life style?

23. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Art community, single life style, educated and kind community, etc is what I'm thinking...

----------

Well, can't beat that. :)

24. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent advice!!! :)

25. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

That’s definitely my (our) perspective too - heck, I’d move out of the state before I’d go “landlocked” :)

Plus from Tampa, you’re just an hour away from Orlando (airport, theme parks, whatnot ...) - we’re about 2 hours north/east of Orlando on the coast :cool: