OS 4.0 features not present on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geko29, May 6, 2010.

1. geko29 macrumors 6502

I've looked back and found a few individual threads on specific features, but couldn't find one that compiled them all. So if this is a repost, my apologies. But I thought it would be helpful to compile a list, all in one place, of the OS 4.0 features that aren't available/don't work on the 3G models. So far, I'm aware of:

Multitasking
    home screen wallpaper
    orientation lock
    digital zoom in camera app (thanks gigidey)

I'm sure there are a bunch of others, so list 'em out and I'll update this first post to include them!

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

3. geko29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Um, apparently it wasn't covered, considering there isn't a SINGLE MENTION in that entire 10-page thread about what features were missing from the 3G that work on the 3GS/HD. I read it then, and I just browsed through it again. And even if they were, it certainly isn't a simple, concise list.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it was more an example link there are threads that have covered the 3g missing features

plus if you had even watched and listened to the keynote jobs himself said 3G wont get multitasking ;).... another reason why it may not be mentioned in a thread

and oh look 3G homescreen wallpaper thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=893518

5. geko29 thread starter macrumors 6502

You seem to have missed the point completely. They are not available, ALL IN ONE PLACE, to make it easy for people to find without reading through hundreds or thousands of threads (which I've done over the past month). Multitasking was in the keynote (and on Apple's website), and now it's in this thread. Wallpaper was discovered the following day, and now it's in this thread too. Orientation lock was discovered yesterday, and now it's in this thread.

Seeing a pattern here? I'm looking for other such gotchas, that I haven't already found on my own, to collect all in one place, and make life easier for other people. I expect there are probably a few people who own the iPhone 3G who would likewise be interested in finding out all of the limitations that the new OS will have on their hardware.

6. gigidey macrumors member

I wouldn't bother with him, this seems like a valid topic and he's just linking you to irrelevant posts.

Also, rotation lock is probably on the 3G because the task switching bar has nothing to do with multitasking and is on the 3G itself.

On topic, I think I may have read that there isn't camera zoom on the 3G. Also, you can use wallpapers on the 3G, it was just a glitch that didn't let you on Beta 1.

7. Branskins macrumors 65816

Why can't Apple just allow multitasking for their own apps? I want the screen lock, the iPod controls, email, MMS, etc...

I know we won't get third party multitasking but just let us have it for the core apps that already run in the background :D

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

no, if the OP had listened to the keynote (or even googled a summary of the keynote) he would know steve jobs stated multitasking will not be on the 2nd gen touch and iphone 3g so if the keynote had already stated this why would people make a thread about it being missing if the keynote said it wont be there?

are you seeing a pattern here?

also the op brought up homescreen wallpaper missing, I directed him to a post about the 3G homescreen wallpaper.......... how is that irrelevant? I'm also thinking the wallpaper missing is not a glitch the fact we are now into the 3rd beta and we still have no homescreen wallpaper suggests apple have restricted the 3G on this aswell.

When I jailbroke my 3G on beta 1 I was able to add the homescreen wallpaper by editing a plist.... another reason why I don't think it's a glitch

rotation lock..... this is part of the multitasking gui ergo not available on the 3G or 2nd gen touch so I don't get why you say "the task switching bar has nothing to do with multitasking and is on the 3G itself." all video on this feature and screenshots show it's part of multitasking gui

plus if OP had even googled the new OS for details of what was missing they would of found this: http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/ which states:

9. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

yet more reasons to just buy the new iPhone when it is released. Problem solved!

10. fraggot macrumors 6502

I'm coming up for my upgrade, so I'll probably be upgrading anyways.

Plus 16gb just isn't cutting it anymore, I'm constantly finding myself deleting things to make room for others.

11. geko29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Christ on a pony, I DID WATCH THE ***ING KEYNOTE the moment it was posted on April 9th (in addition to reading two different liveblogs during the event itself), and you keep missing that I INCLUDED multitasking IN THE FIRST POST! I wasn't looking for anyone to notify me that it didn't work, or explain why. I was looking for features OTHER than multitasking, wallpaper, and rotation lock (which I was already aware of) that don't work on the 3G, so there can be a simple, easy to reference list for anybody who doesn't know already.

I do. It's the entire point of this thread, repeatedly going over your head. This is not about any one missing feature, it's about getting all of them in one place.

It's not irrelevant, but the purpose of this thread is to discover additional missing features that aren't already in the OP, so that they can be added. Apple won't give us a concrete list, other than saying "some features, such as multitasking....."

I agree it's not a glitch

You mean like when I said:
    I've been all over the official sources (and most of the unofficial ones) since day one, and there's no clear, concise list of what they chose to leave out. They just imply repeatedly that everything except multitasking is identical, and we all know that's not the case. I'm sure there are already other missing features that I haven't listed above, and there might be more that will be introduced in later betas. That's why I started this thread--to put them all in one place, since Apple won't.

12. geko29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for bringing that up! I found this post that describes it not working in beta 1, but sounding like a bug more than a missing feature. Obviously with the camera app totally broken in beta 2, it wasn't possible to discern if it had indeed been a bug or was intentionally omitted. Does anybody know if it's still broken/missing in beta 3? I'm going to assume it was intentionally omitted for the moment, and add it to the OP. I'll later remove it if it's found to be working.

On the wallpapers, are you jailbroken? I haven't seen a post from anybody saying they've got wallpapers working on a 3G that isn't. If it is in fact working on the stock 3G firmware (I have a 3GS, so I can't test it), I'll remove it from the list.

13. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

In Beta 3, for the 3G :
    - the camera seems to be working now. Phew.
    - Wallpaper is something that Apple said wasn't supported on the 3G (why?)
    - Rotation lock, not supported due to location of the setting (on the multitasking bar)
    - I managed to get some BLUE text to come up but wasn't paying attention and cleared it before reading it.. not sure what it was.
    - Obviously no multitasking.

Not sure what else is missing.

14. geko29 thread starter macrumors 6502

The digital zoom function works as well (tap to zoom up to 5x)? If so, I'll take it off my list.