Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
Probably one of these:

At this point, the full list of known trademarks Apple has registered for includes Yosemite, Redwood, Mammoth, California, Big Sur, Pacific, Diablo, Miramar, Rincon, El Cap, Redtail, Condor, Grizzly, Farallon, Tiburon, Monterey, Skyline, Shasta, Sierra, Mojave, Sequoia, Ventura, and Sonoma.

I like OS X Diablo.

Erastopic

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Norway
Considering they are only focusing on places in California as they said during both the Mavericks & Yosemite unveil I'm not sure what they will go with. But here are some of my guesses.

OS X 10.11 Tahoe

OS X 10.11 Mojave

OS X 10.11 Sequoia

And my favorite.. OS X 10.11 Catalina which sounds really nice. Saw it over at MacWorld UK.

Apple usually make copyrights when they have a selection of names and they usually do that 1 month ahead of WWDC like they did back with Yosemite. But of course they couldn't copyright Yosemite.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Considering they are only focusing on places in California as they said during both the Mavericks & Yosemite unveil I'm not sure what they will go with. But here are some of my guesses.

OS X 10.11 Tahoe

OS X 10.11 Mojave

OS X 10.11 Sequoia

And my favorite.. OS X 10.11 Catalina which sounds really nice. Saw it over at MacWorld UK.

Apple usually make copyrights when they have a selection of names and they usually do that 1 month ahead of WWDC like they did back with Yosemite. But of course they couldn't copyright Yosemite.

They can't copyright "Yosemite" by itself, but they can copyright "OS X Yosemite," "OS X Catalina," etc. Also, look at the post earlier in this thread where it lists names Apples has already applied for trademarks on - Yosemite was on the list.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Osx 11

I'm guessing OSX Redwood / OSX Sequoia. My next guess would be OSX Mojave.

We have had Water with Mavericks and we have had Mountain range with Yosemite so I thought maybe trees/forests with Redwood / Sequoia. The other alternative is desert with OSX Mojave. I'm not really familiar with places in California so I'm probably over simplifying it.

I can see it possibly being OSX 11 rather than OSX 10.11 - but it probably won't happen. Either way I will probably end up calling it OSX 11.

I know some people think it does not make sense as X stands for 10... but OSX 11 is still OS 10 11 but sounds better. To me OSX has become an icon and the X means mac like PC means Windows. To change to OS 11 would be confusing with Ios and also would tend to indicate the operating system has had a significant re-write.
So I expect to see OSX and IOS until the two finally merge into one.

Also some people think that 10.9 should have then gone to 11... but I see 10.10 as actually completing the cycle so to speak. This is why I think it may be called OSX 11 even though it will probably end up being OSX 10.11

Either way I will probably end up calling it OSX 11.
(Sorry for my long wordy post!)

mgiron1

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2015
California, U.S
Hmmm

My guesses are:

OS X Shasta

OS X Tahoe

OS X Sequoia

OS X Mojave

I know Shasta sounds a bit silly considering it's a brand of pop but it is a place in California, Mt. Shasta, beautiful at that.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I'm guessing OSX Redwood / OSX Sequoia. My next guess would be OSX Mojave.

We have had Water with Mavericks and we have had Mountain range with Yosemite so I thought maybe trees/forests with Redwood / Sequoia. The other alternative is desert with OSX Mojave. I'm not really familiar with places in California so I'm probably over simplifying it.

I can see it possibly being OSX 11 rather than OSX 10.11 - but it probably won't happen. Either way I will probably end up calling it OSX 11.

I know some people think it does not make sense as X stands for 10... but OSX 11 is still OS 10 11 but sounds better. To me OSX has become an icon and the X means mac like PC means Windows. To change to OS 11 would be confusing with Ios and also would tend to indicate the operating system has had a significant re-write.
So I expect to see OSX and IOS until the two finally merge into one.

Also some people think that 10.9 should have then gone to 11... but I see 10.10 as actually completing the cycle so to speak. This is why I think it may be called OSX 11 even though it will probably end up being OSX 10.11

Either way I will probably end up calling it OSX 11.
(Sorry for my long wordy post!)

Maybe they will take a page out of Microsoft's playbook and call it OS X 10.12 ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.