Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Even though this version of Mac OS X is 10.9, I don't think Apple is going to make a major, from scratch renewal of Mac OS and name it XI. (11) So I believe it's going to be called 10.10. Now that they left cat names behind and moved on to locations in California. We can start guessing and making a database of guesses for the next one. I say;

OS X Yosemite, 10.10.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Sure why not:

Rubicon

It's well know for being a challenging Jeep trail. Something rugged - seemed along the lines of Mavericks.

I hate to admit it, but I was talking about it the other day. :)

Yea, it'll be 10.10

edit: brain found a bad sector. Corrected Rincon to Rubicon. I live near Rincon, so that's probably where it "just popped in" from. :eek:

Last edited:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
If Mavericks is anything to go by, they'll go for lesser-known place names in California. So no Golden Gate or Hollywood. And I think one-word names are a given.

Some of my guesses:

Mendocino
Pacifica
Avalon
Ventura
Coronado
Monterey
Montecito

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
If Mavericks is anything to go by, they'll go for lesser-known place names in California. So no Golden Gate or Hollywood. And I think one-word names are a given.

Some of my guesses:

Mendocino
Pacifica
Avalon
Ventura
Coronado
Monterey
Montecito

You're missing the point entirely. Mavericks came from a landmark near the Apple headquarters. Every place you mentioned was nowhere near and not only that you're naming cities, not landmarks. :p

----------

OS X "Straight Outta" Compton

That name would be more fitting for Microsoft's next system. ;)

emir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
I am also guessing it's going to be Norterhn California. So, Yosemite is not that close to Apple HQ maybe but it's Nor Cal. Could be OS X Monterey, that's relatively close. I rule out Santa Cruz because I'm assuming it's going to be single word. Yosemite looks and sounds good though. I can totally see OS X Yosemite 10.10. :D

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I am also guessing it's going to be Norterhn California. So, Yosemite is not that close to Apple HQ maybe but it's Nor Cal. Could be OS X Monterey, that's relatively close. I rule out Santa Cruz because I'm assuming it's going to be single word. Yosemite looks and sounds good though. I can totally see OS X Yosemite 10.10. :D

I'm guessing that you don't know much about California since your forum tag says you're from Istanbul but Monterey is nowhere close to Apple's headquarters. That's over an hour drive away.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Judging by the choice of Mavericks, Apple would want to use names of places in California with an attitude. Mavericks is an extreme surfing spot, so I would make an educated guess that the next one would be something along those lines, in other words: exciting.

That's what made me think of Rubicon. As I mentioned, it's an "extreme" Jeep trail (the most successful have been driving the small Wrangler type, although some have tried Humvees - with varying degrees of success). Being a Jeep owner, we heard of "Jeep Jamborees", and Rubicon was among the most challenging.

Anyway. I would try and think of places with that sort of reputation. There are some places even in Yosemite that could be possibilities - like EL Capitan, or Half Dome (yea, that's kind of a funny name in itself, but we all thought that of iPad too).

edit: Meant Rubicon. Brain: corrupt sector. Retry. Anyway, I live near Rincon, so that's probably where it "just popped in" from. :eek:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.