OS X 10.5.7 and GoToMeeting Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by embers, May 26, 2009.

1. embers macrumors newbie

I upgraded to 10.5.7. All good but with GoToMeeting v4.1. When I use my Logitech Headset A-0356A, people sound like chipmunks. Without headset they sound OK. Sound through headset OK with Skype and with iTunes. Checked headset with GoToMeeting on another computer with OS X 10.5.6 and they were OK. Spent time with Citrix Help Desk (they make GoToMeeting). Ran test. Reinstalled App. Rebooted from Safe Mode and repaired permissions. No go.
    Contacted Logitech Support - they blew me off.

Anyone experienced this or have any suggestions (other than go back to 10.5.6). Thanks.

2. headfuzz macrumors 6502

headfuzz

This isn't going to be much help, but the problem clearly lies at Citrix's end. The fact that Skype et al work fine shows it is not an issue with the USB audio driver in 10.5.7.

Maybe see if you can get a current beta of the next version of GoToMeeting? Failing that I think it's a 10.5.6 rollback tbh.

3. GlennDCitrix macrumors newbie

Hi,

I work for Citrix Online and we are working on this issue. It is isolated to Macs running 10.5.7 with USB headset (all Logitech so far I believe), if you have a head set with 1/8 inch jacks you shouldn't have any issues. I will post an update in this thread as soon a I have an ETA on the fix, you can also follow me on Twitter @GlennDCitrix

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Glenn Dobson | QA Manager Global Customer Support
    Citrix Online Division
    Citrix Systems, Inc.
    6500 Hollister Avenue
    Goleta, CA 93117 USA
    www.citrixonline.com

www.gotomypc.com | Access Your PC From Anywhere
    www.gotomeeting.com | Online Meetings Made Easy
    www.gotoassist.com | Remote Support Made Easy

4. GlennDCitrix macrumors newbie

Update

Just wanted to update you on what is happening, we are currently testing a new voice engine that will fix this issue for Mac users on 10.5.7 As soon as it is ready to deploy I will let you know.

Thank you for your patience.

Citrix Online Division
    Citrix Systems, Inc.
    6500 Hollister Avenue
    Goleta, CA 93117 USA
    www.citrixonline.com

Twitter: GlennDCitrix

5. UlrichCallmeier macrumors newbie

Same problem with 24" Display audio

I have the same problem embers describes - everyone on GotoMeeting sounds like a chipmunk since I upgraded to 10.5.7. I'm not using a headset however, but the 24" Apple display audio, which worked great before the update. So just wanted to add that this is not limited to USB headphones.

6. GlennDCitrix macrumors newbie

Update 2

The new voice engine is now being tested in our GoToTraining beta and appears to have fixed this issue with Mac's running 10.5.7 and USB headsets. We are working with our vendor to refine the new voice engine further so that the quality is also up to standard. I currently do not have an ETA of when it will be available to GoToMeeting/Webinar customers but I will update this thread again as soon as I do.

Thanks for your patience.

Citrix Online Division
    Citrix Systems, Inc.
    6500 Hollister Avenue
    Goleta, CA 93117 USA
    www.citrixonline.com

7. cjibo macrumors newbie

Issue still happening

Has there been any update on this. I still have the issue with two different Logitech USB Headsets. Using the standard jacks works fine but I would prefer to use the USB for better quality.

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

Read the post above you - they are doing testing on an update that fixes this problem and they don't know when it will be finished.

The guy from Citrix will post an update when he knows something.

9. steveyobs macrumors newbie

this is still an issue as of July 13th 2009

I was able to get around it somewhat by using SoundFlower and routing my system audio through the virtual sound card then to my headset.

This is utterly broken. I was 10 minutes late to an important meeting because of this software failure.

This shows a couple issues with Citrix dev.

1. Unresponsive and slow to fix
    2. They don't track pre-release versions of the OS available on the developer site

The sound will still get corrupted occasionally, just turn off sound routing in SoundFlowerBed and then re-enable it.

I encourage everyone to use http://www.dimdim.com/

10. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

This is still an issue at the end of July. I am having this problem with my 24" ACD and no headphones.

I am a GoToMeeting fan, but it seems to me that their tech and development teams are Windows-myopic. At least tech support tells me this is a known issue; I use dial-up as a workaround. But I'm holding off on corporate involvement with GTM until the problem is fixed.

11. yountvillerick macrumors newbie

Glenn at Citrix

I went to your twitter account, and while happy to see you have many interests and an illness you appear to have gotten over... why are you not following up on this issue that is so important to us Mac users? If I don't see it I will not be implementing GTM in my company as well. Skype will have to do. BTW- I am using the Skype Free Talk USB wireless headset...exact same problem everyone else has described. C'mon Glenn!

12. GlennDCitrix macrumors newbie

New GoToMeeting beta build available.

Hi,

I am happy to report that we finally have a beta build of GoToMeeting with the audio engine available. If you are interested in running the new build please send me an Email containing the Email address for your GoToMeeting account and I will make the necessary change.

Please note this is a beta build and not a final release.

Glenn at citrix.com

Thanks,

13. jrook macrumors newbie

Beta Testing

I am very interested in beta testing. What is the e-mail I can use to contact you with my information?

Thanks!

14. GlennDCitrix macrumors newbie

You can contact me at glenn dot dobson at citrix dot com. I will need to know the Email address you use for your GoToMeeting account.

Thanks,

Citrix Online Division
    Citrix Systems, Inc.
    6500 Hollister Avenue
    Goleta, CA 93117 USA
    www.citrixonline.com

15. timatgen macrumors newbie

Glenn,

Thanks for the offer to switch folks over to the beta -- for those of us who work in a virtual offline, working audio is critical to our daily lives. As a data point, I receive the same audio problems with a Plantronics USB headset.

Would you have information regarding the expected timeframe for the GA release of this new version and whether the same release timeframe will be used for GoToWebinar? (It looks like they are coupled so perhaps that is a mute point)

Thanks!
    Tim

16. GlennDCitrix macrumors newbie

Hi Tim,

I am not able to give an ETA yet as we will be releasing a new build of GoToMeeting, GoToWebinar, GoToTraining (currently in beta) for both Mac and PC all at the same time. If you normally attend meetings or webinars rather than host, you will only get the beta version if the host is running it. If they are not you can always use regular headphones and the built in mic on your Mac laptop or dial in to the conference via telephone.

I also wanted to let you all know that there is an issue with using Keynote in full screen mode with GoToMeeting/GoToWebniar on the Mac, we are working with Apple to get a fix as the issue is due to the API we followed.

As soon as I have more information I will update this thread.

Also if any of you are interested in connecting to your Macs remotely to work we have just opened up our beta of GoToMyPC for Mac www.gotomypc.com

Thanks,

Citrix Online Division
    Citrix Systems, Inc.

17. zeeklancer macrumors regular

Umm, is it me or most of these post are from new users and are just trolling.

I smell a competitor making a big deal out of nothing...

Grow up guys... It is not the end of the world if you have to use the NON USB version of a headset.

-Zeek

18. RangerPaul macrumors newbie

I just ran into this problem last night and a search turned up this thread. I registered today, so I'm one of those new guys. Let me assure you that I'm not a troll nor a competitor. Simply a user with a problem.

I did find a workaround for my audio woes. I plugged my USB headset into a USB port on the back of my machine. I got the chipmunk plugged into a keyboard port, but clear audio on the back port.

The problem that really concerned me was with the viewer. Prior to the session, there was a slide show like that in movie theaters. That viewed fine. When the host put up the session title slide, that showed fine. When the presenter began using his slides, I just had a black window. I could hear that others online could see it, but I could not. Anyone hear about that happening with 10.5.7?

Here's a question for Glen. I just ordered OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). Has Citrix tested GTM on that OS?

19. RangerPaul macrumors newbie

True but it is a concern if you don't have one. I bought my headset specifically because it was highest on GTM's recommended hardware list, and I didn't want problems during a rather expensive class I registered for.

20. dhirschfeld macrumors newbie

Several USB Headsets

I am happy to find this thread and just emailed Glenn for the beta. I have tried three different USB headsets, all from different manufacturers, all with the chipmunk voices. I am also not a troller. It doesn't matter which port I plug into using my macbook. I get the problem no matter what.

FYI - I upgraded to Snow Leopard last week. Nothing changed regarding this issue.

21. Zectbumo macrumors newbie

I also have this same issue. I'm using an Apple Cinema Display (which uses USB for audio)

22. jove4015 macrumors newbie

Same issue here. My boss has the 24" cinema display. I have to say, it was particularly hilarious. We switched it over to built-in audio and no problems there but it's rather inconvenient for him to switch.

The real concern, though, that does not make me laugh quite as much, is that our Mac users are hearing our presentations and webinars this way, and probably think it's our fault (and not GoToMeeting). This should be fixed post haste.

23. neomindryan macrumors newbie

Possible additional info

FWIW, this issue only seems to be affecting our 32-bit Intel Macs (Core Duo. Core 2 Duo is 64 bit) in GoToMeeting and Gizmo5, but not Skype.
    Edit: The problem goes away in Gizmo5 if you only use the USB headset for input OR output, but not both.

24. jkirkell macrumors newbie

More Information

This affects all 64bit systems running all OS X versions up to and including 10.6.2. Any USB headset gives the chipmunk sound.

25. nigelhop macrumors newbie

USB headset produces the chipmunk sound only when the mic is plugged in. If the mic is unplugged and the audio is going through the headset the sound is fine. Headset works fine in other applications such as Skype.