Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seeded another new version of OS X 10.5.8 to developers, signaling continued development on what may be the final update to Leopard before OS X Snow Leopard ships in September. According to the seed notes published by World of Apple, the new version, Build 9L16, adds ten new documented fixes over the previous seed issued late last week. Changes include fixes for bugs in Bluetooth device operation and USB webcam streaming, as well as addressing freezing of the AirPort (Advanced) portion of the Network System Preferences pane.

The seed notes also list 18 focus areas upon which developers are asked to concentrate their testing efforts. One outstanding known issue, a System Preferences bug that appears on Early 2009 Mac Pros with attached USB audio devices, is also documented.

Article Link: OS X 10.5.8 Build 9L16 Seeded to Developers

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
Bluetooth!

I really hope this is pushed out fast, because the documented bluetooth bug where your moose becomes unresponsive is really annoying. especially if you use your laptop in "clamshell" mode and you have to lift the lid to use the trackpad to disable bluetooth, then re-enable it to get the device working again...

Something that effects the moose, a vital system input device, i wish they would just release a separate fix for..

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I really hope this is pushed out fast, because the documented bluetooth bug where your moose becomes unresponsive is really annoying.

Nothing's worse than an unresponsive moose. :mad: ;)

Attachments

• 305-249-MooseTrafficStopper.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.JPG
    305-249-MooseTrafficStopper.standalone.prod_affiliate.7.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 134

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wonder where Apple finds the time with all this iPhone stuff going on. ;)

Arn, you know you're going to get static for putting this on Page 2 instead of Page 1.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Let the release date speculation begin!

I just hope it doesn't take five months like 10.5.7.

Agreed. 10.5.7 took too long to deliver.

I'm still hesitant about upgrading to 10.6.0 on release, might just wait to see how members here go with it first. ;)

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
No.

No no no.

System preferences still doesn't want to keep the locks locked across launch. When is that getting fixed? Tiger never had that problem for me.

Any time you wanna get around to that Apple, I'd sure appreciate it.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I don't know what Apples official position is but I suspect they will update Leopard!

Yeah so what's the strategy, get it out before SL or after as a treat for PPC users this will probably be there last OS.
For a while anyways. The scoop is this, they don't want to appear to be abandoning PPC users to quickly. They haven't announced a support plan yet, which is something the should do, so I have nothing official.

By the way support in this case is likely to be limited to mostly security fixes.

It really doesn't matter to me as I'm PPC free. In any event PPC users should consider the tact that most users of old PCs take. That is to install Linux and not look back. It is the only low cost path to keeping old hardware useful.

Realize I know the pain of buying new computing hardware. Let's face it it is expensive and well expensive. The problem is even with Linux you eventually get left behind as software advances or your demands do.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
I really hope this is pushed out fast, because the documented bluetooth bug where your mouse becomes unresponsive is really annoying. especially if you use your laptop in "clamshell" mode and you have to lift the lid to use the trackpad to disable bluetooth, then re-enable it to get the device working again...

Something that effects the moose, a vital system input device, i wish they would just release a separate fix for..

I just downloaded Apple's latest Bluetooth firmware update today. Perhaps this is the fix? :confused: I can't really check myself as I don't own a Bluetooth mouse.

Agreed. 10.5.7 took too long to deliver.

I'm still hesitant about upgrading to 10.6.0 on release, might just wait to see how members here go with it first. ;)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to forums. ;) 50 people complaining on an Internet forum may seem like a lot, but it really doesn't add up to much when you consider the thousands of other users who don't have any problems at all. :cool:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
shiretoko icon
Image macros grow tiresome.

Safari 4 does seem to be a little more crash prone over 3. I haven't had FireFox crash in ages. It's slow to load up but it works.

I haven't been able to get YTMND to work in Safari for months now. It works in Stainless and I consider that to be a bizarro world browser to begin with.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
The scoop is this, they don't want to appear to be abandoning PPC users to quickly. They haven't announced a support plan yet, which is something the should do, so I have nothing official.

In the absence of specific information I guess we have to assume that support will go the same way it always has. Which is that once Snow Leopard is released, Tiger updates will cease and Leopard will get only Security Updates going forward.

myriad

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
PA
already expected event

By the time you guys would see the about panel of Finder, you could see 10.5.8 letter under OSX 10.5.7 already. I expected the 10.5.8 update when 10.5.7 was just released. Whatever, I am welcome to wait for the 10.5.8 update.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
hope this will make Leopard as rock solid as 10.4.11, assuming its the last release.

No.

No no no.

System preferences still doesn't want to keep the locks locked across launch. When is that getting fixed? Tiger never had that problem for me.

Any time you wanna get around to that Apple, I'd sure appreciate it.

maybe you had "Require password to unlock each System Preferences pane" ticked in Security preferences in Tiger but not in Leopard. also in non administrative accounts all the panes with padlocks are locked by default.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
I just downloaded Apple's latest Bluetooth firmware update today. Perhaps this is the fix? :confused:

Well only for those with the newer BT chips. The older ones, like in a late '06 mini, still have to deal with random keyboard disconnects, since the BT update wasn't for us.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
By the time you guys would see the about panel of Finder, you could see 10.5.8 letter under OSX 10.5.7 already. I expected the 10.5.8 update when 10.5.7 was just released. Whatever, I am welcome to wait for the 10.5.8 update.
Eh not really. That's always one step ahead i.e. it will be 10.5.9 for OS X 10.5.8 (seriously).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.