Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
hope this will make Leopard as rock solid as 10.4.11, assuming its the last release.

maybe you had "Require password to unlock each System Preferences pane" ticked in Security preferences in Tiger but not in Leopard. also in non administrative accounts all the panes with padlocks are locked by default.

The amount of problems in Leopard will never make it as solid as 10.4.11. I'm very afraid that we'll never see an OS X version as solid again. Snow Leopard has its own set of problems in addition to Leopard's. :(

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Agreed. 10.5.7 took too long to deliver.

I'm still hesitant about upgrading to 10.6.0 on release, might just wait to see how members here go with it first. ;)

I'm going to blindly forge ahead!

in apple we trust

on another note, after installing the bluetooth firmware update my bt mighty mouse seems to be a little more precise. could be my imagination but i dont think so. I'm pretty happy.

Stevamundo

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2008
Thanks! We need people on the front line to hit all the worst bugs so we won't have to. :D

Precisely! That's why I'm in NO hurry to get Snow Leopard, IF I get at all.

Plus, I have 10.5.7 installed on both of my computers and everything runs perfectly. “If it isn't broke don't try to fix it.”

However with that said, yes I'm upgrading to 10.5.8 when it comes out. Seeing how this is the last upgrade in the OS that PPC users will ever get probably, I'm hoping that Apple will make 10.5.8 ROCK SOLID FOR EVERYBODY!!!!

cbken

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
I just wish they would get the ATI 4870 issues fixed. Getting really annoying dealing with them.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
maybe you had "Require password to unlock each System Preferences pane" ticked in Security preferences in Tiger but not in Leopard. also in non administrative accounts all the panes with padlocks are locked by default.

Just got your response, I only got my iMac with Leopard on it, given it obviously had a previous OS on it, a reinstall doesn't correct the situation.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
They released a new 10.5.8 beta over the weekend. I can see a 10.5.8 release by the end of July and then maybe a 10.5.9 around the 10.6 release... or maybe 10.5.8 will be the last one and it'll have less iterations than Panther :eek:

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
As if there wouldn't be a 10.5.9, 10.5.10, etc. This time they have the end of the line for PPC to support, so we'll most probably have updates after SL release. They owe it to the people still using PPC hardware. I don't believe 10.5.8 is the last Leopard to be released.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Sure be nice if they finally fix the connection timeout issue on WPA wireless networks as well but I am not holding my breath. They have been promising to do that even since 10.5.2. I will not be surprised if it is still in Snow Leopard. My brother gave up on Macs because of this and went back to Windoze.

Wilson

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Sure be nice if they finally fix the connection timeout issue on WPA wireless networks as well but I am not holding my breath. They have been promising to do that even since 10.5.2. I will not be surprised if it is still in Snow Leopard. My brother gave up on Macs because of this and went back to Windoze.

Wilson

Wow what a lame reason to go back to Windows esp as cracking WPA is easy as.

As a test I managed to crack my Airport Extreme's WPA in minutes.

WPA2 ftw.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Wow what a lame reason to go back to Windows esp as cracking WPA is easy as.

As a test I managed to crack my Airport Extreme's WPA in minutes.

WPA2 ftw.

Fair point if it is your own network, but nothing you can do if it isn't.. such as a university network etc.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Fair point if it is your own network, but nothing you can do if it isn't.. such as a university network etc.

True, i think my uni uses WPA2.

It was shocking to find some utilities on the internet and be in seconds.

Although I just worked out it was WEP I managed to do so easily, not WPA :p

Either way, I hate to think what experts can do if a newb like me can do it.

Ah well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.