OS X 10.7 Lion GM niggles

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Atarikid, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Atarikid, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

Atarikid macrumors regular

My expierience with Lion GM (11A511)
    Macbook Pro 17" 2011
    I did a clean install on a new OWC 240Gb SSD.

- Intel HD3000 graphics mode is still jerky. For me this a hugh let down. This means every MBP owner will have slow graphics by default. (read: general slow GUI animations etc..). Switching to Radeon HD6750M results in very smooth GUI operation. Within SL the Intel HD3000 performs smooth. This can only conclude Lion is more GPU hungry compared to SL. A pity.
    - Keyboard backlit still cannot be disabled in the preferences. However, you can turn if off manually with the keyboard F5 and F6 buttons.
    - Mail is crashing more then with DP4+Update. More precise, when deleting threads can result in a random crash.
    - Booting is very fast with a SSD. Less then 10 seconds counting from pushing the on/off button. Shutting down is prompt (1 second)
    - TRIM is disabled for the OWC SSD (as expected). So no TRIM support for non-Apple-SSDs
    - The video example for Launchpad and Show Desktop are funny. Four finger wipe squeeze .. it does work with some practice.
    - I cannot disable the 'Reopen windows when logging back in' in the preferences . No, 'Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps' disabling does not work.
    - Spotlight is much faster compared to DP4. First initializing took less then 5 minutes. Previous DPs took sometimes 30minutes and more. Not sure if this is representable.
    - Safari crashed a couple of times when using the wipe features.

Thats it for now..

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I'm on the fence... I may not upgrade to Lion. I have SL just the way I like it and desire no changes.

3. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

I've not updated to 11A511 yet, but i've had a lot of graphics issues with DP4 and the 320M. Mainly graphics corruption actually. I think apple has some work to do in this area - I suspect the the HD3000 is fast enough, just Apple's graphics issues are hindering the performance to some degree.

Combined with the lack of RAID0 boot support, surely Apple will release a second GM in a week or so??? Its almost there, just not quite.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I'm using a Early 2009 MBP with an SSD and Trim isn't enabled. Is that to be expected?

5. Atarikid, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2011

Atarikid thread starter macrumors regular

Depends, is the SSD bought from Apple? If yes, it will be enabled (offcourse if the SSD itself supports)

GM = GM which means this is the version which be available at AppStore for the masses. There will be no second GM.

About graphics speed:
    Yes, HD3000 should be fast (in SL it IS very fast). But within Lion it performs not very well concerning GUI graphics (scaling, genie fx, scrolling, ...).
    I do not see a difference/improvement between DP4 and GM in this area. Bad thing imo
    Guess we have to wait for OS X 10.7.1 :)

6. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

As unlikely as it may be, 11A511 is not guaranteed to be the actual GM which gets released. There may be issues which need to be fixed.

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

False. GM is the version that Apple thinks is final. There CAN be changes to it if there's serious bugs (otherwise it wouldn't make sense to seed a GM).

For example, there was a second GM for iOS 4.2 because of a serious bug.

But again, as always, I'll wait for 10.7.1. First release always seems to be very buggy.

8. Atarikid thread starter macrumors regular

Some more:

I have now installed Lion GM on my iMac i5 which uses the Radeon HD6770M by default.
    This seems to run very smooth! All GUI animations are smooth as it should. A joy to use.
    Crashes for Safari and Mail still happens on my iMac.

Conclusion :
    OS X 10.7 Lion GM is not very nice to work with if you have Intel HD3000 (latest MBP Pros). Shame really..

9. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Yeah, it's the SSD that came preinstalled. Labeled as Apple SSD in System Report.

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Wonder how quickly they will get an update out to fix that. With all the 13" MBPs having this (as well as the larger sizes for battery saving) and the Air and Mini due to get it soon id imagine a lot of people will have problems.

11. Atarikid thread starter macrumors regular

A very valid question !

However, it has to be said that not all users are 'sensitive' to those GUI animation quirks.
    You can compare it to the whole 30fps/60fps debate for 3th-person shooters. Some people do not see a difference between them. But I do. :)

12. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Is it more stable than DP4. And with respect to DP3?

13. Atarikid thread starter macrumors regular

Besides the Mail and Safari crashes I mentioned, it seems to be stable for now.

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I have none of the issues you are mentioning, but I don't have a Macbook. Did you make a clean install or an upgrade from DP4?

15. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

16. bugout macrumors 6502a

No issues at all here in HD3000 mode. It's as smooth as the ATI.

17. bugout macrumors 6502a

Not sure what you mean there. My mac pro has 2 vertex 2's in RAID0 and boots just fine with the GM.

18. Atarikid, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

Atarikid thread starter macrumors regular

Slower Intel HD3000 performance has been confirmed at the Apple developer program.
    They are slower for sure. But as I mentioned earlier, some people do not see the difference (hence the 30fps/60fps debate).

Slower GUI performance is only with MBPs. All iMacs, Mac Pros, ... with decent graphics cards do not suffer from less GUI performance.

BTW you cannot upgrade from DP4.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No OS X Game Center then? Man, I really hoped for that... :(

20. bugout macrumors 6502a

Yes you can. I did it on 2 machines..

21. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

App windows still sometimes cover up the spaces thumbnails in Mission Control.

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

He is, strictly speaking, correct: Apple state you have to be on DP4 update 1 in order to upgrade to Lion GM

23. Atarikid thread starter macrumors regular

Well, maybe it can be done but Apple clearly says in the disclaimer not to do so.

24. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Sounds a bit like the whole tiger to snow leopard thing. :)

25. bugout macrumors 6502a

I don't recall the disclaimer saying not to do so. It's says you won't be able to.