Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
If so, it'll be a let down I fear.

These fast cycles leave no time for innovation. Each successive release will simply seem like "updates" to the former.

TBH, it's not like people are going to like an OS that is released on a longer cycle more: OS X Lion wasn't very well received, with many people sticking with Snow Leopard, and that was released 2 years after SL. Also, it's likely the price of the OS would be higher if it was on a longer cycle so they can make the same amount of money from upgrades.

Plus, who knows if Apple might release a large update (such as Lion) every two years, and a smaller update (such as ML) every other year just to keep it fresh? It could happen...

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
OS X Lion wasn't very well received, with many people sticking with Snow Leopard, and that was released 2 years after SL

Which is why I say 10.9 will be a let down. That said, given the leadership change and no rush to stick to this silly-assed annual release schedule I think 10.9 could be reinvigorated into something quite nice - a lot of the code rewritten from the ground up. Perhaps even a UI makeover. Impossible now IMO.

Also, 10.9 development started a long time ago - way before Apple's stock tanked so at the time they basically had every reason to believe that 10.8 is what users want. (More similarities to iOS).

Anyone expecting anything more in 10.9 than iOS based Maps and Siri is in for a disappointment.

Also, it's likely the price of the OS would be higher if it was on a longer cycle so they can make the same amount of money from upgrades.
Eh? Apple basic gives OSX away to sell more macs. The revenue they generate from this is nothing. I actually believe it's not free just to give it some kind of value to the end user.

Plus, who knows if Apple might release a large update (such as Lion) every two years, and a smaller update (such as ML) every other year just to keep it fresh? It could happen...
One could hope but I doubt it. Again, macs/OSX is not Apple's bread and butter. OSX exists only to sell more iPhones and iPads. (Or the other way around).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple's doing just fine on the innovation front. Major changes take years to reach fruition but nice iterative changes are happing every 12-16 months with OS X.

I would welcome the Maps API and Siri coming to both coming OS X along with better location features in OS X.

A big improvement would be more robust and stable Documents in the Cloud, further progress on SMB support and some good UI polish.

Since OTA upgrades are easy I see no problem with having a fairly short development cycle.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
doesn't it all depend on what day you READ this thread? if i read it the day before 10.9 is announced, then YES, it will be announced tomorrow... :cool:

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
i wish for enhancements for Software Updates, the whole mac appstore update procedure is okay for some apps but not everything and it is kind of backwards imo.
especially managing multiple macs in various environments.

better iCloud integration, with increased storage capacity included for mail/documents

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I'd like to see some speed improvements. I feel like my 2011 MBP was incredibly snappy when I first bought it, and now feels a bit sluggish - especially when using iTunes or iPhoto. The thing is, what could really have changed in the past two years to slow it down this much? Is Mountain Lion really doing that much more work in the background than Snow Leopard was?

And yes, it's a fresh install of 10.8.2.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I'd like to see some speed improvements. I feel like my 2011 MBP was incredibly snappy when I first bought it, and now feels a bit sluggish - especially when using iTunes or iPhoto. The thing is, what could really have changed in the past two years to slow it down this much? Is Mountain Lion really doing that much more work in the background than Snow Leopard was?

And yes, it's a fresh install of 10.8.2.

Ssd and more ram do you have them? Maybe that wuld be your answer of sluggish!

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
So what are the odds 10.9 will be announced today? And, is Cougar the codename?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Ssd and more ram do you have them? Maybe that wuld be your answer of sluggish!

I'm debating now between doing some upgrades myself or just buying the Haswell rMBP when it's released. I never bought Apple Care so I'm anxious to get back on warranty before something goes wrong lol

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The longer Apple puts off seeding a dev preview of OS 10.9 the higher the odds of a drastic change in the OS.

If it doesn't come out in the next couple of weeks I'm going to guess devs won't see a preview of OS 10.9 or IOS 7 until the WWDC sometime in June.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
The longer Apple puts off seeding a dev preview of OS 10.9 the higher the odds of a drastic change in the OS.

If it doesn't come out in the next couple of weeks I'm going to guess devs won't see a preview of OS 10.9 or IOS 7 until the WWDC sometime in June.

When was the last time an OS X release had a "wow" factor? I can't even remember...Jaguar perhaps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.