Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Which do you think would be more important as OS features (1):

• Facebook Integration vs ZFS (stable file system which detects "bit rot")
  • iOS "Applification" (Notes, Reminder, ...) vs current OpenGL 4.2
  • Crippled features (Launchpad, Spaces, Fullscreen) vs iSCSI (support for NAS protocol)
  • etc.

Hint: the items on the left have been existing "major features" in the last two OS updates...

Yes they may have been "major" features but do you really think the engineers who made those features where taken from the Filesystem project teams. Likely no.

So a better comparison to me is Core Storage vs ZFS support projects.
Both have had signs in the OS for years now. CoreStorage has delivered usable and useful features to the user every release. It has built on those features every release. It has made cool hardware features possible like Fusion drive. It could conceivable during the next OS update deliver (or maybe two) all the features we wanted ZFS for (fingers cross here for data-integrity checking).

Compared to the ZFS project that was sort of monolithic and delivered in couple of not generally useful steps. It didn't enjoy the same board user run in testing. Then when licensing reared it's head as an issue showed that relying on it might be just as dangerous as continuing to rely on HFS+ long term.

So in the question of Should Apple do regular smaller updates or wait to do something big?
To me it's really clear on big complex low level features like File systems, compiler chains,core graphics projects... it's clearly better to break them up in to smaller and smaller steps and have many releases of the projects life.

The other "major" features are there as incentive for the user base to come along for the ride.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Why does the number following 10 sound ridiculous? "Eleven" has been around since man discovered he could also use his toes for simple accounting.
LOL I remember when people here were saying how ridiculous "MacBook Pro" sounded, and that "PowerBook" would be the name forever! :D Some people just hate change. I like how lots of people think that revision numbers can only go up to 9 too...:rolleyes:

----------

Which do you think would be more important as OS features (1):

• Facebook Integration vs ZFS (stable file system which detects "bit rot")
  • iOS "Applification" (Notes, Reminder, ...) vs current OpenGL 4.2
  • Crippled features (Launchpad, Spaces, Fullscreen) vs iSCSI (support for NAS protocol)
  • etc.

Hint: the items on the left have been existing "major features" in the last two OS updates...

(1): OS stands for "Operating System" - yes, I know, "user experience", "integrated functionality", blah blah blah... but being able to attach (certain shares of) my NAS via iSCSI, or having confort in a reliable File System would enhance my own "experience" much much more than the annoying behaviour of certain "iCloud"-ified applications (I hate, hate, hate those "Duplicate" (no "Save as") and "Here are all your 20 documents you had open last time you closed the application - enjoy!" concepts!)
If they don't wake up and start entertaining the tech user base needs again soon, their market share will suffer as people jump to the OSes that will actually meet their tech needs. iOS app integration and other bells a whistles are great, but at a certain point you need to stop dumbing down your interface to the lowest common denominator and let the power users get their ZFS and OpenGL 4.2 support. Apple don't forget your roots!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I sincerely hope that 10.9 is called "Snow Leopard II" and that they undo the ****ing mess of the last 2 os.

I hope not, we should probably move forward instead of moving back. Let's not make the few progresses of the last few years be for naught.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I hope not, we should probably move forward instead of moving back. Let's not make the few progresses of the last few years be for naught.
I don't think anyone is talking about "moving back". Just modify 10.9 to give us one major thing we miss: Grid-like Spaces. And of course a different flavor of Expose' that uses the entire display since we won't need that useless crap at the top anymore. Others can still use MC. It's not like the coders would have to invent anything new - just polish it up.

Seriously... bring this back and at least half of us (if not more) would simply shut the hell up. (It's either that or wait for us to die. :D)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't think anyone is talking about "moving back". Just modify 10.9 to give us one major thing we miss: Grid-like Spaces. And of course a different flavor of Expose' that uses the entire display since we won't need that useless crap at the top anymore. Others can still use MC. It's not like the coders would have to invent anything new - just polish it up.

Seriously... bring this back and at least half of us (if not more) would simply shut the hell up. (It's either that or wait for us to die. :D)

I've never seen these "grid like spaces".

How is it better than what we have now?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I've never seen these "grid like spaces".

How is it better than what we have now?

Imagine going from Spaces in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, looking like this
2012_02_05_pA2_Spaces.png
to Mission Control in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, looking like this
2012_02_05_pA1_MC_in_Lion.png
Of course, not everyone uses that many Spaces, but Mission Control seriously hampers the usefulness of more than four virtual desktops.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
Well... 10.6 was absolutely great! Fast and stable (in my experience, anyway). And I definitely miss the old Spaces + Exposé action.

There are some cool things in 10.7/10.8. But I wish they'd go back to lean and mean. Mission control is better on 10.8 than on 10.7 (with the removal of window grouping), but for me it's still slower than Spaces + Exposé.

One of my biggest annoyances? TextEdit won't open to a blank new document anymore. It always opens to the "Open" dialog nowadays. It's sad :p I used it to quickly jot down stuff... Now it's not quick anymore.

Having developed on all releases of OS X from 10.4 through 10.8, so far, 10.6 was the release of OS X that left me the best impression of all.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
One of my biggest annoyances? TextEdit won't open to a blank new document anymore. It always opens to the "Open" dialog nowadays.
Disable "Documents and Data" in iCloud. TextEdit will behave normally again.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
Well... 10.6 was absolutely great! Fast and stable (in my experience, anyway). And I definitely miss the old Spaces + Exposé action.

There are some cool things in 10.7/10.8. But I wish they'd go back to lean and mean. Mission control is better on 10.8 than on 10.7 (with the removal of window grouping), but for me it's still slower than Spaces + Exposé.

One of my biggest annoyances? TextEdit won't open to a blank new document anymore. It always opens to the "Open" dialog nowadays. It's sad :p I used it to quickly jot down stuff... Now it's not quick anymore.

Having developed on all releases of OS X from 10.4 through 10.8, so far, 10.6 was the release of OS X that left me the best impression of all.

Hopefully 10.9 will be the next 10.6. Mountain Lion came fairly close to being as great as Snow Leopard but alas it came short to 10.6's greatness

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Well from looking at that, I prefer Mission Control.
This is why there is no hope for us "Spaces" users.

i.e.... you need to use it to know what you're missing. (Especially the ability to use the keyboard). Spaces/Expose' was actually the highlight of one of Steve's keynotes back in the day.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
Any chance somebody will come up with a spaces app for Mountain Lion? Or maybe adding that option in tinker tool or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.