Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I have a 2011 MBA with OSX. What I want to do is go to Finder, Click on "ALL MY FILES, and move some of the picture files I have in "IMAGES" and move them into a folder in "PICTURES" without it copying and leaving a trace of these file left in "IMAGES".

I did a youtube and google search, but the tutorials posted are about formatting a mouse like windows. I don't have a mouse to do this. Also in SYSTEM PREFERENCES, it doesn't allow me to re-configure the track pad like windows so that I can see a MOVE FILE option when right clicking.

Any suggestions, please. Thank you.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
And if you are dragging files instead, hold down the CMD key while dragging.

CMD only works when you drag and drop files from desktop, not from FINDER.

----------

1. Select files
2. Press cmd-C (copy)
3. go to destination folder.
3. Press cmd-option V

I tried this. This was on youtube. If you go to Finder and go to "ALL MY FILES", select a file in "IMAGES" by CMD+C and CMD+V into the folder of choice, go back to ALL MY FILES and you will see the file is still there in "IMAGES".

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Might be over thinking this but after you move the files wouldn't it be easy just to delete the original files by dragging them to the trash. Just saying, because a copy and past will not remove the original files. Though cant see why you just cant do a cut and past, rather then a copy and past.

Edit: after trying to cut and past rather then copy and past it would appear that finder will not let you cut and past weird but it's what ever I guess. But doing a copy and past then doing what I said would still work.

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
Or if you don't mind spending a little extra cash ...

This can be done quite easily (along with a ton of other nifty features) if you purchase something like Forklift, which also gives you dual panes, which has been inexplicably missing from Finder since, well, since always. Managed to pick up a copy when it was ridiculously priced on special for only $0.99, but now it will set you back around $19.99.

Also worth mentioning, possibly, are Transmit or PathFinder, although they both tend to be a bit pricier for the same basic functionality as Forklift (give or take some features here and there).

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
I think the best thing for all of you guys except for NewbieCanada is to go back to primary school to learn how to read because that's exactly where you are failing miserably!

What do you guys not understand about the following?
Copy: cmd-v
Move: cmd-OPTION-v

Is that hard to read the word OPTION? Is that hard to understand you need to press that key too?

The only thing you can complain about that you need Lion or Mountain Lion for it to work. That's all. No need for expensive tools that can't do as much as Finder such as Forklift (which is fine for ftp but sucks with network drives and has less features with file operations compared to Finder), Transmit or Pathfinder (the only one actually having a bit more features than Finder).

Btw, the desktop is part of Finder too when it comes to files and folders. Do try out option and cmd when moving around stuff in Finder with a mouse/trackpad/tablet. You can move or copy the file/folder with those keys (the difference is whether the source and destination are on the same drive or not).

Reactions: OzyOly

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
CMD only works when you drag and drop files from desktop, not from FINDER.

----------

I tried this. This was on youtube. If you go to Finder and go to "ALL MY FILES", select a file in "IMAGES" by CMD+C and CMD+V into the folder of choice, go back to ALL MY FILES and you will see the file is still there in "IMAGES".

Read my instructions again. Not CMD-V. CMD-OPTION-V

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
I think the best thing for all of you guys except for NewbieCanada is to go back to primary school to learn how to read because that's exactly where you are failing miserably!

Seriously?!?!

Since when (on either Windows or Mac) has cmd-v EVER done a COPY??
Next time, try Preview Post before launching your rant. The OP asked for suggestions. That doesn't mean you or anyone else has to agree/disagree with someone who posts alternative solutions. That's what makes this forum great (notwithstanding certain members who feel they need to shoot down any opinions they don't happen to agree with).

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
LOL. One would think this is simple enough, but NOOOOoooo! Apparently Apple made some "minor" changes from OS version to OS so what works for you may not exactly work for the other fellah!

I missed Windows, it's been the same way since win3.1 - Kidding! (the missing part).

Oh, I don't have an answer, one of these day when it bothers me enough I'd figure it out once for all.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Seriously?!?!

Since when (on either Windows or Mac) has cmd-v EVER done a COPY??
Cmd doesn't exist in Windows so in that case never :)

On a Mac there is a difference between text, pictures and files/folders. Cmd-v is paste for text/pictures and copy for files/folders. Cmd-option-v is a move for files/folders and is only available in Finder.

Next time, try Preview Post before launching your rant.
No, next time read before you even respond to something. This is not about Preview, this is about files and folders and for that you use Finder. Preview is for documents such as photos and pdf's. You do not use it to copy and move files/folders!!!

The OP asked for suggestions. That doesn't mean you or anyone else has to agree/disagree with someone who posts alternative solutions.
Which isn't what I'm doing. I'm only pointing out the fact that almost none of the people responding to this topic is reading what the OP wants and what the exact key combination is for moving files/folders in Finder.

Your suggestion has got absolutely nothing to do with Finder and files/folders whatsoever and thus is to no use for what the OP wants.

That's what makes this forum great (notwithstanding certain members who feel they need to shoot down any opinions they don't happen to agree with).
You mean people who can't read topic starts and the following posts of others. You know, people like you.

To make it a bit more clear, here's a nice analogy for you:
Question: how do you make a cake?
Your answer: a bike!

LOL. One would think this is simple enough, but NOOOOoooo! Apparently Apple made some "minor" changes from OS version to OS so what works for you may not exactly work for the other fellah!
Yep, but on the other hand it is nice that there is finally a way to actually move files/folders without additional steps other than holding an additional key (option). Luckily the way to copy and move files in Terminal has stayed the same since 10.0 :)

Virtual Steve

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
No, next time read before you even respond to something. This is not about Preview, this is about files and folders and for that you use Finder. Preview is for documents such as photos and pdf's. You do not use it to copy and move files/folders!!!

Exactly, it's not about Preview, as in the Preview application that is included with the Mac OS. Had you actually read the post, you would have noticed that.

Preview Post, as in what you (obviously don't) do before posting a reply in the MacRumors Forum, rather than proving (once again) that you also still don't know how to read (as you claim others have failed to do). But nice try.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Might be over thinking this but after you move the files wouldn't it be easy just to delete the original files by dragging them to the trash. Just saying, because a copy and past will not remove the original files. Though cant see why you just cant do a cut and past, rather then a copy and past.

Edit: after trying to cut and past rather then copy and past it would appear that finder will not let you cut and past weird but it's what ever I guess. But doing a copy and past then doing what I said would still work.

Exactly my point. So you tried it? Yes, I can do as you suggested, it's just two extra steps - dragging it to trash and deleting from trash. I just want to move the file completely without it leaving a copy.

----------

Right click - copy
Right click (pressing alt) - move.
Right click (without alt) - paste.

Let's close this thread up!

I don't have a mouse sync to my MBA, so a right click wouldn't work for me. :D

----------

Read my instructions again. Not CMD-V. CMD-OPTION-V

Ok my apologies, but it didn't work. Have you tried your suggestion. This is what I'm doing. In Finder under "ALL MY FILES", you have a section called IMAGES. I have images in them. I am trying to take those images by moving them to "MY PICTURES". When I follow your directions and go back to ALL MY FILES, I still see the original version of each. Please try it.

Otherwise, I will just copy all of them to MY PICTURES, Go to ALL MY FILES, delete those files, then go to TRASH, to clean them out. That's two extra steps. I do appreciate your assistance.

----------

It doesn't work. Can you please try the example I gave above this reply. You'll see that it doesn't work. But I do appreciate the efforts.

----------

I missed Windows, it's been the same way since win3.1 - Kidding! (the missing part).

Oh, I don't have an answer, one of these day when it bothers me enough I'd figure it out once for all.

Thank you. I don't think it can be done either which is why I asked the forum.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Images isn't a folder. It's just the way "All My Files" classifies images.

It isn't working because the files are already located in your Pictures folder. Go to your pictures folder, copy a file and then cmd-option-v on your desktop. You'll see it's no longer in Pictures.

By the way, in settings for trackpad you can set it up to allow right-clicks.

cytomatrix

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
Exactly my point. So you tried it? Yes, I can do as you suggested, it's just two extra steps - dragging it to trash and deleting from trash. I just want to move the file completely without it leaving a copy.

----------

I don't have a mouse sync to my MBA, so a right click wouldn't work for me. :D

----------

Ok my apologies, but it didn't work. Have you tried your suggestion. This is what I'm doing. In Finder under "ALL MY FILES", you have a section called IMAGES. I have images in them. I am trying to take those images by moving them to "MY PICTURES". When I follow your directions and go back to ALL MY FILES, I still see the original version of each. Please try it.

Otherwise, I will just copy all of them to MY PICTURES, Go to ALL MY FILES, delete those files, then go to TRASH, to clean them out. That's two extra steps. I do appreciate your assistance.

----------

It doesn't work. Can you please try the example I gave above this reply. You'll see that it doesn't work. But I do appreciate the efforts.

----------

Thank you. I don't think it can be done either which is why I asked the forum.
Way to prove stereotypes about mac users. Cmd+c, Cmd+opt+v method works. I don't think you can use OS X without using right click, unless all you do is browse facebook. Trackpad supports right click.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Exactly, it's not about Preview, as in the Preview application that is included with the Mac OS. Had you actually read the post, you would have noticed that.
Let me rephrase what I said there: the kind of functionality you are talking about is found in apps like Preview, not in apps like Finder. In this topic we are talking about the latter so your posts do not help at all. Go take your troll and flaming business elsewhere.

If you want to move files/folders in Finder this is done with the cmd-c, cmd-option-v shortcuts. "All my files" is a view just like the "sort by", "arrange by" is. They use categories and those are predetermined: you can not change those. If you want to move everything that is in the "Images" category in "all my files" to the "my pictures" folder you do this with the cmd-c and then cmd-option-v shortcuts. This however does not change the word "Images" to "my pictures" from what I get now this seems to be what you want to do.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I just open two finder windows - original and destination. Then cmd+click to select files, then drag to new folder. Moves them if it's the same HDD; copies if to a different drive.

BarrySumpter

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
1. Select files
2. Press cmd-C (copy)
3. go to destination folder.
3. Press cmd-option V

Thanks NewbieCanada.
Works in OS X 10.9.1

Anyone know how to do this with just mouse drag n drop?

I can't get the mouse pointer + (copy) drop to change to a FORCE move drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.