Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astayo

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2015
I have a 2011 MBA with OSX. What I want to do is go to Finder, Click on "ALL MY FILES, and move some of the picture files I have in "IMAGES" and move them into a folder in "PICTURES" without it copying and leaving a trace of these file left in "IMAGES".

I did a youtube and google search, but the tutorials posted are about formatting a mouse like windows. I don't have a mouse to do this. Also in SYSTEM PREFERENCES, it doesn't allow me to re-configure the track pad like windows so that I can see a MOVE FILE option when right clicking.

Any suggestions, please. Thank you.

Hello,
Regarding moving files and not copying them, holding down the command key does not work and if I select a folder, the cut command is grayed out and is not not an option. Now what?

Last edited by a moderator:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have a 2011 MBA with OSX. What I want to do is go to Finder, Click on "ALL MY FILES, and move some of the picture files I have in "IMAGES" and move them into a folder in "PICTURES" without it copying and leaving a trace of these file left in "IMAGES".

I did a youtube and google search, but the tutorials posted are about formatting a mouse like windows. I don't have a mouse to do this. Also in SYSTEM PREFERENCES, it doesn't allow me to re-configure the track pad like windows so that I can see a MOVE FILE option when right clicking.

Images isn't a folder. It's just the way "All My Files" classifies images.

It isn't working because the files are already located in your Pictures folder. Go to your pictures folder, copy a file and then cmd-option-v on your desktop. You'll see it's no longer in Pictures.

By the way, in settings for trackpad you can set it up to allow right-clicks.

OP, where you able to figure this out? @NewbieCanada explained what you needed to do and also gave a pretty good explanation the folder structure.

Welcome to the world of Apple and thinking different! :)

Petinka

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2015
Thanks NewbieCanada.
Works in OS X 10.9.1

Anyone know how to do this with just mouse drag n drop?

I can't get the mouse pointer + (copy) drop to change to a FORCE move drop.

Same as with the other variants: First Right-click mouse to select "Copy" your item, and then when you go to do a Right-click to "Paste" where ever you're going to paste it, just hit Option, and that "Paste" will turn into a "Move Item Here". Thanks to the original poster. I never knew about this before.

r laliberte

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2017

I had the same problem. I noticed after an update I couldn't grab several files and drag them to the top bar and scroll through the whole desktop to find the folder I wanted to put them in. I would drag them to the top bar and nothing would happen. I discovered by chance that if I click on all files then click and hold on one, then drag it a bit and switch from scrolling with one finger to using two fingers I was able to scroll through my entire folder (desktop or whatever folder, pictures etc.) Hope this helps.
[d

Last edited:

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Hold CMD key while you drag, if on an external source it moves, so the CMD key overrides the default, which is normally to copy to external.

r laliberte

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2017
Hold CMD key while you drag, if on an external source it moves, so the CMD key overrides the default, which is normally to copy to external.
When you hold the CMD key it just de-selects the file you are hovering over. If you aren't hovering over a file then it just drag selects whatever you drag the arrow over. This doesn't work for moving files for me at all.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
When you hold the CMD key it just de-selects the file you are hovering over. If you aren't hovering over a file then it just drag selects whatever you drag the arrow over. This doesn't work for moving files for me at all.

That is odd, I tested before I posted. Could be sequencing. I select a file, start dragging it then press the CMD key And hold the CMD key until the file is in the destination location then I release the CMD key and the mouse or trackpad ...

Perhaps something was configured differently on your machine.

r laliberte

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2017
That is odd, I tested before I posted. Could be sequencing. I select a file, start dragging it then press the CMD key And hold the CMD key until the file is in the destination location then I release the CMD key and the mouse or trackpad ...

Perhaps something was configured differently on your machine.
Thats good old Mac for you. Every time there is an update something changes. Sometimes big things sometimes small, then it is a guessing game. I noticed this time you mentioned having to drag the file before hitting the CMD key. I tried it and still no go. It wont scroll through the screen for me this way and as soon as I move my finger off the track pad it flies back to its original position on the screen. Lets hope that at least one of our solutions works for everyone struggling with this. Ha ha!
On a side note I am running Sierra 10.12.3

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thats good old Mac for you. Every time there is an update something changes. Sometimes big things sometimes small, then it is a guessing game. I noticed this time you mentioned having to drag the file before hitting the CMD key. I tried it and still no go. It wont scroll through the screen for me this way and as soon as I move my finger off the track pad it flies back to its original position on the screen. Lets hope that at least one of our solutions works for everyone struggling with this. Ha ha!
On a side note I am running Sierra 10.12.3
You can use ⌘C (cmd-C) then activate the window where you want to move the files, and press ⌥⌘V (option-cmd-V) to move them.

If you select the files then click the Edit menu, Copy is the menu item name for ⌘C. At the destination window, click the Edit menu and then press the ⌥ (OPTION) key, I think you'll see a menu item name change to Move.

The ⌥⌘V key sequence is noted at the following reference, under the heading "Finder shortcuts", which starts about halfway down the page:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I had the same problem. I noticed after an update I couldn't grab several files and drag them to the top bar and scroll through the whole desktop to find the folder I wanted to put them in. I would drag them to the top bar and nothing would happen. I discovered by chance that if I click on all files then click and hold on one, then drag it a bit and switch from scrolling with one finger to using two fingers I was able to scroll through my entire folder (desktop or whatever folder, pictures etc.) Hope this helps.
[d
SHIFT + COMMAND does it for me. Hold and drag whatever file and it won'r leave a copy.

achutank

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
dan you are a genius :)
[doublepost=1499055722][/doublepost]
I think the best thing for all of you guys except for NewbieCanada is to go back to primary school to learn how to read because that's exactly where you are failing miserably!

What do you guys not understand about the following?
Copy: cmd-v
Move: cmd-OPTION-v

wow DYN works perfectly :) much thanks

MENEIM1985

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2018
if you move any item on mac you can easy do the following ;-
1- select items you need to move;
2- press (command C )
3- finally press (command alt V)
thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.